Improved cosmetics our Ultravalve and a lower price too.

avahifi

New silver faceplate, flush mounted hardware, and a lower price, $1599.

Still on The Absolute Sound Editor's choice list for this year along with Fet Valve CF vacuum tube preamp, Fet Valve 600R hybrid tube power amp, and Visiion Adjustable Phono Preamp.

Frank Van Alstine
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2016, 05:31 pm by avahifi »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Improved cosmetics our Ultravalve and a lower price too.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2016, 03:11 pm »
No question it's a winner Frank, all around. It was like getting a new pair of speakers in the bargain.  :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2016, 04:25 pm »

New silver faceplate, flush mounted hardware, and a lower price, $1699.

Still on The Absolute Sound Editor's choice list for this year along with Fet Valve CF vacuum tube preamp, Fet Valve 600R hybrid tube power amp, and Visiion Adjustable Phono Preamp.

Frank Van Alstine

Huh?  :scratch:   Who the hell lowers prices these days?

Kudos, Frank.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2016, 04:55 pm »
Frank,
your website lists it at $1599.00.

avahifi

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2016, 05:32 pm »
My bad.  I went back in above and changed price to the correct one, $1599 for the Ultravalve.

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2016, 01:30 am »
Put it together with a new RB and you have a helluva system at a ridiculously low price by today's standards. A lot of mfr's don't seem to be able to ship one tube component for $2500, let alone two.

And I've said it before about the price drop: This says something about how this company does business. Almost everyone else would have simply pocketed the difference- after all, people were buying it at the higher price. But Frank believes that at the lower price, more people will be buying and enjoying the equipment. Refreshing.

BTW, I've seen an Ultravalve up close and I'm not spotting the difference... Can you explain the cosmetic changes and/or post a pic of the old version for comparison?

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2016, 01:43 am »
Face plate color change from a champagne to a natural aluminum, brushed finish, and new recessed (flat head screw) allen head fasteners.

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2016, 01:45 am »
Nice! I always thought AVA could use a minor face-lift.

ACHiPo

« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2016, 04:18 am »
I like it.

trackball02

« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2016, 08:38 pm »
My older Ultravalve  resides right next to my silver face plate Fet Valve CF pre.

I would love to update my Ultravalve cosmetics. Is there any way of swapping out the old face plate with a new one?

avahifi

« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2016, 09:08 pm »
A new silver faceplate is $110 plus shipping, including the new power switch.

One minor "catch".  The new simple black power switch (not lighted - no need as the tubes are their own power on indicator) is wired in differently then the lighted switch on your Ultravalve.

The old lighted switch had three terminals: AC in, AC out, and neon lamp power.  The wiring was terminated and connected to the switch with push on connectors.  The new switch has only two terminals: AC in and AC out.  The switch lugs are for soldered connections, not push on connectors.  So you need to do a bit of solder work to affect the change.

Frank Van Alstine

pehare

« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2016, 11:04 pm »
can the Ultravalve be used direct with a CD player which has an internal volume control?  Will the combo provide ample volume without the use of a preamp?...output of the CDP is 3v thru the rca outputs (Cary 303/300).

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2016, 11:36 pm »
One minor complaint about the faceplates.

I have a 240 compact Synergy and a Ultra DAC and they look exactly the same without turning them on - as the DAC contains tubes.

Obviously, when they're in place I know which is which but maybe in the future if there could be someway to distinguish among matching faceplates on different types of components, just between a pre-amp, amp, DAC

Wayner

« Reply #13 on: 20 Feb 2016, 02:02 am »
can the Ultravalve be used direct with a CD player which has an internal volume control?  Will the combo provide ample volume without the use of a preamp?...output of the CDP is 3v thru the rca outputs (Cary 303/300).

Should be no problem. Just do the usual practices when doing this (volume down or off when starting up).

'ner

trackball02

« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2016, 04:13 pm »
A new silver faceplate is $110 plus shipping, including the new power switch.

One minor "catch".  The new simple black power switch (not lighted - no need as the tubes are their own power on indicator) is wired in differently then the lighted switch on your Ultravalve.

The old lighted switch had three terminals: AC in, AC out, and neon lamp power.  The wiring was terminated and connected to the switch with push on connectors.  The new switch has only two terminals: AC in and AC out.  The switch lugs are for soldered connections, not push on connectors.  So you need to do a bit of solder work to affect the change.

Frank Van Alstine

Thanks Frank. I do not mind getting my soldering iron out. Looks like a winner to me. This amp is an absolute gem.
I'll be sending you an email.