Recommendations wanted to build on my 6SN7 collection

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
Re: Recommendations wanted to build on my 6SN7 collection
« Reply #20 on: 8 Jun 2016, 05:53 pm »
FYI for AC'ers,

I have a few very nice 6SN7's for sale on Audio Asylum. They are all used, but most lightly. There are a few that are very hard to find. I've had an offer on some, but no payment follow-up yet.  I'd make a fair deal on the lot.

gb

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #21 on: 8 Jun 2016, 10:42 pm »
6F8G is a direct 6SN7 substitute and has the same electrical parameters. You can get the adapters on Ebay.

Probably you should have written "6F8G is a direct 6SN7 electrical substitute but has a different pin-out; you can get the adapters on Ebay."

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #22 on: 8 Jun 2016, 11:11 pm »
Hi I am currently using RCA VT231 GG and absolutely love the mids. I also own the Shuguang BT CV181z which is no slouch. I'd like to add to my collection that is still warm in the mids (yet different to the GG). Recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

Jim, if you don't have some Tung-Sol roundplate 'N7s, you haven't heard the best (in my and many others' opinions).

Many are labeled VT-231.  Allegedly-new ones are damned expensive, but used ones are fairly common and affordable.  I use 3-each in my Atma-Sphere M-60 poweramps.

ACHiPo

« Reply #23 on: 9 Jun 2016, 02:28 am »
Jim, if you don't have some Tung-Sol roundplate 'N7s, you haven't heard the best (in my and many others' opinions).

Many are labeled VT-231.  Allegedly-new ones are damned expensive, but used ones are fairly common and affordable.  I use 3-each in my Atma-Sphere M-60 poweramps.

Do you hear much difference tube-rolling the M60s?  By the way, how come my M60s have 4 6SN7s and yours only has 3?

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 9 Jun 2016, 04:22 am »
Do you hear much difference tube-rolling the M60s? 

By the way, how come my M60s have 4 6SN7s and yours only has 3?

1. I hear a little richness...warmth...from the TSRPs, and I LOVE that sound. 
2. I'm using A-S's gain-reduction plug in the V2 position; it reduces Voltage gain 11-12dB.  I have plenty of gain (25dB) in my linestage preamp.

ACHiPo

« Reply #25 on: 9 Jun 2016, 12:48 pm »
1. I hear a little richness...warmth...from the TSRPs, and I LOVE that sound. 
2. I'm using A-S's gain-reduction plug in the V2 position; it reduces Voltage gain 11-12dB.  I have plenty of gain (25dB) in my linestage preamp.
Cool.  Thanks.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #26 on: 9 Jun 2016, 02:30 pm »
I loved the TSRP tubes combined with Sylvania 6SN7W in the Atma-Sphere amps and preamps.

This provided a great combination of warmth, texture, dimensionality, detail, and speed across the entire spectrum.

Not cheap, but it always sounded magically.

George

Maritan

« Reply #27 on: 9 Jun 2016, 02:34 pm »
Yeah, I've got a special place in my heart for the 6SN7W tube. Love the clarity and speed it brings with Ultraverve 3 pre-amp.

jazdoc

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jun 2016, 02:43 am »
I am a fan of the Sylvania's, especially the 1942 vintage 3 hole plate version.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #29 on: 21 Jun 2016, 06:08 pm »
I think, for the price, the Soviet Melz 6N8S with metal base and black plates (no holes) are great. I got a pair for $45 and six 6N9S (6SL7) for about the same price.  All very good tubes!

Currently running 12SX7 in place of 6SN7 and enjoying the results although the SX7s are microphonic.