Do power conditioners diminish frequency response?

vonnie123

Re: Do power conditioners diminish frequency response?
« Reply #20 on: 29 Dec 2015, 02:45 am »
I read several reviews and blogs where it was suggested that some power conditioners affect sound in a negative way. I wish I had all the links to these articles but in one of them, the reviewer wrote that the manufacturer of an amplifier under his review, recommended plugging it directly into a wall outlet, without even using  a surge protector. Another reviewer experimented with several methods of connecting his amplifier. His power conditioner made the sound worse than a bare wall outlet connection. He finally found a conditioner that made the sound better. I looked up the brand. The retail price was close to $20,000! Needless to say, these opinions add to an already confusing topic.

My own situation is limited because I live in an apartment with old wiring. I can't do anything like adding a dedicated 20 Amp outlet. I'm currently (No pun intended.) using a top of the line APC power conditioner/ Surge Protector/battery backup. The electricity in my city is dirty and unreliable. We frequently get one second power drops. On a few occasions, the power has come on and off every half minute four or five times. In the summertime, PG&E lowers the voltage during peak summer demand. I detected this on my son's Furman power conditioner. His Furman effectively keeps the voltage steady during these summer periods. The protective circuits in my ModWright KWA-100 SE amplifier are very sensitive and will turn off my amplifier before my APC power conditioner goes to battery power. At one time, I was considering the purchase of a PS audio power regenerator, like the P10. I put it off because I had no idea if it was necessary or would improve my system's performance. Spending $5,000 on a device that isn't needed would be money that I could use do something substantial, like upgrading my turntable. I invite anyone for feedback and advice.

I own a P5, the lower capacity version of the P10.  I like it and would purchase another. The P5 runs my entire system of several sources, DAC, buffer, an AVR, plus 9 channels x 250 class D Wyred 4 Sound Ice amps.   If you keep your eyes open and are patient, you'll see full warranty demos and special deals from time to time at considerably lower prices.

werd

« Reply #21 on: 29 Dec 2015, 03:03 am »
Transformers won't help with sagging. I'm not a fan of them personally.

I've never heard compression, but I typically turn up the volume to get a little more sensation since I'm not being battered with fatigue that exists in higher registers otherwise. Generally speaking vocals have much more pronounced dynamics that can really lay some emotion into you.

It wouldn't surprise me if the whole system had a decrease in NFB overshoot from all the radiated noise, from power supply, and lack of power factor quality being reduced/eleminated with good power conditioing. But you suddenly realize some albums are not as good as others.

I guess I meant transient response not sagging. One thing everyone seems to overlook is the location of their local neighborhood transformer. If your home is sitting right next to it then I would  not recommend a transformer. If your home is a  few hundred feet away and your power is fed underground then I would recommend one. Since the distance underground will effect transient response. Not looking at your local neighborhood  transformer as a part of the sound system is a big overlook. Especially when deciding when to use a transformer conditiner.

werd

« Reply #22 on: 29 Dec 2015, 03:16 am »
My mom on the the hand. Her step down sits on a pole 30 fee up in her backyard. The power feed hangs into the house. Manitoba Hydro gaurantees 120v service. Her location is like "zap" and I would consider it the best for home audio power delivery.

Photon46

« Reply #23 on: 29 Dec 2015, 11:35 am »
I have never heard a conditioner improve any of the soundstage qualities I listen for,  air around  instruments, increased clarity of  instuments. What I have I heard them do is apply a dark sonic blanket that tends to shade  any high frequency clammer coming from what ever device that was causing issue.

Werd's comment here is a perfect example of what is so fascinating (and frustrating) about the different ways systems/situations vary with regard to power conditioners and regenerators. The very things he says he's never heard in his system are the exact things that are greatly enhanced in my system with the Audience conditioner: air around instruments, soundstage depth/width, separation and sense of acoustic space between instruments. Assuming his system listing is current, Werd's listening through very high quality solid state amplification and I'm listening (at present) through tube based amplification (Decware ZenTorii and Dehavilland.)
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2015, 09:26 pm by Photon46 »

sfox7076

« Reply #24 on: 29 Dec 2015, 10:33 pm »
I was hoping someone would make a conditioner that let me use the NOS 354A tubes I have.  Now that would be fun...

Folsom

« Reply #25 on: 29 Dec 2015, 11:54 pm »
Photon I can only say the same so far...

But just to note adjustments to speaker axis may come into play, but get ignored. My speaker placement has never been the same with and without.

Hipper

« Reply #26 on: 31 Dec 2015, 01:21 pm »
I agree with Photon46 that all these electrical changes seem to be system and location dependent.

With that in mind I offered my experience here:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2664430

Despite its expense I'm impressed the PSAudio P10. However I've no idea how it would deal with the on/off power supply that's described in the OP. All I can suggest is you go on the PSAudio forum and ask. You will likely get a response from Paul McGowan, the main (or mains!) man:

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/