My list is down to 3 speakers

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #40 on: 23 Oct 2004, 09:40 pm »
On the soundstage review it says "The 788 has room filling sound the 688 can only hint at". How big was the room used in soundstage?

PhilNYC

« Reply #41 on: 23 Oct 2004, 09:48 pm »
Quote from: AintJoM0mma
On the soundstage review it says "The 788 has room filling sound the 688 can only hint at". How big was the room used in soundstage?

I don't know how big the room was for the FS788 review, but it was smaller than 15'x15' (as alluded to in the review).  And certainly, at $2000 more, you'd expect a bigger sound from the FS788.  From the Soundstage review of the FS688, Doug Schneider says "I was impressed by the expansive soundstage that the FS-688s presented -- it was huge!"

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #42 on: 23 Oct 2004, 11:00 pm »
ajm, yust shut up awreddy, & buy these speakers.   :lol:   they are close to ya - ya can go pick 'em up.  they will certainly rock - they will blow ya outta yer 12x12 room.  they certainly will give ya as much detail as yure gonna get in yer room, for anything anywhere near the price.  they certainly will be a good walue: they will be able to be sold w/o losing lotsa money.  and, cancel the f/s ad on agon for your jolida integrated - it will be great w/these.
http://www.usheraudio.com/speaker-cp730.html
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1103661260

then get back to us w/what ya think.   :wink:   we can't help ya any more until ya tell *us* what ya tink about someting ya heard!   :mrgreen:

btw, the ushers are great walue; i picked up a pair of these for $150 shipped, (retail ~$300?), and the sound & finish is comparable w/$1k+ monitors.
http://www.usheraudio.com/speaker-s520.html

doug s.

Carlman

« Reply #43 on: 24 Oct 2004, 04:06 am »
Quote from: doug s.
btw, the ushers are great walue; i picked up a pair of these for $150 shipped, (retail ~$300?), and the sound & finish is comparable w/$1k+ monitors.
http://www.usheraudio.com/speaker-s520.html

While I agree these are very nice they aren't refined enough to be in the 1,k range.  I'd say they'd compare favorably up to about $5-600, though.  They were handily bested by every speaker I have tried at (or near) 1,k in direct comparison.  I guess it could be argued that all the 1,k speakers I tried would be as good as 2,k speakers but that's just nuts. ;)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #44 on: 24 Oct 2004, 09:37 am »
Also the SP Tech, no one seems to have heard and also I really hate how it looks in walnut   :|
Now you being picky about the finish..... :lol:
    (but they sound excellent).[/list:u]

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #45 on: 24 Oct 2004, 05:12 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Also the SP Tech, no one seems to have heard and also I really hate how it looks in walnut   :|

I know  :lol:  But if im going to spend this much on speakers, they should look annnnnnnnd sound good  :wink:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #46 on: 24 Oct 2004, 05:38 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42

I know  :lol:  But if im going to spend this much on speakers, they should look annnnnnnnd sound good  :wink:

then get black or maple or rosewood, if ya don't like walnut.  

jeez, ajm, *ANY* of the speakers ya have mentioned will sound good (including the focals ya mentioned on yet *ANOTHER* thread); if ya don't know which one ya want, cuz ya haven't auditioned anyting, yust get the ones that *look* best to ya... :o

doug s.

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #47 on: 24 Oct 2004, 05:54 pm »
Quote from: doug s.
then get black or maple or rosewood, if ya don't like walnut.  

jeez, ajm, *ANY* of the speakers ya have mentioned will sound good (including the focals ya mentioned on yet *ANOTHER* thread); if ya don't know which one ya want, cuz ya haven't auditioned anyting, yust get the ones that *look* best to ya... :o

doug s.

Walnut is the only color available used, and I cant afford $4,500 new.  :(

MaxxC

Focus Audio FS688's
« Reply #48 on: 26 Oct 2004, 02:02 am »
Phil is correct.   The FS688's can flat out play rock.    UHF magazine in their review did some listening to Pink Floyd and was very impressed and thought the electric guitar was rendered better then their reference speakers.

Drums kick hard,  Bass is tight and ultra fast and defined.    Soundstage perty much goes wall to wall.    It is huge.  

Do a word search at Audiogons forum.    Check out the topic throught a word search:  best mini monitor.   Guy there Italy71 did a compaison of the Dynaudio 1.3SE,  B&W signature 805 and Green Mountain Europa all of which he owned.

He uses the words "boring" and "bland" when comparing the Dynaudio 1.3SE to the Focus Audio FS688's

Afterimage

« Reply #49 on: 28 Oct 2004, 12:48 am »
There are a lot of speakers that can rock, but it seems like there is a choice few speakers out there that can hide the sins of the compressed rock/pop recordings.  A lot of good speakers sound like crap with bad recordings.  The trick is to get speakers that make the bad recordings come alive.  Of course the other electronics play a part in this too.  My whole point is just because someone likes rock and pop as their primarily choices for listening, doesn't mean they should just accept that the music is going to sound dull and lifeless.  It seems like many audiophiles  have speakers that sound great with jazz and classical and sound like crap with their rock recordings.  It's almost like they okay with that just because the recordings are not the best.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #50 on: 28 Oct 2004, 03:29 pm »
Quote from: Afterimage
There are a lot of speakers that can rock, but it seems like there is a choice few speakers out there that can hide the sins of the compressed rock/pop recordings. A lot of good speakers sound like crap with bad recordings. The trick is to get speakers that make the bad recordings come alive. Of course the other electronics play a part in this too....

mebbe i am mistaken here, but i do not think you will find a stereo rig that will do justice to good recordings while making bad recordings sound good.  if the rig makes "...bad recordings come alive...", then it will certainly muck up good recordings.

i *do* think it possible to set up a rig that will make all types of music sound good - if the recordings are good.  but if the recording is compressed, a good rig will not hide it.  which is why i like to use my dbx 3bx - it is used on software that's compressed so badly, it sounds like crap otherwise.  and this is why i need a preamp w/a dedicated tape loop, so i do not have to have the dbx in the signal path when it's not being used...

doug s.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #51 on: 7 Nov 2004, 05:34 am »
So AJM,
    Did you get or listen to any speakers yet ??? :) [/list:u]