New Phono Stage Recommendations Please...

ACHiPo

New Phono Stage Recommendations Please...
« on: 26 Dec 2015, 08:19 am »
Well boys and girls, the good news is that I completed the task of running 10 awg to two duplex floor outlets, which is the hardest part of relocating my electronics.  The bad news is my Rowland consummate phono stage had an acrid smell when powered back up and no longer works! :cry:

I opened it up and there are definitely a couple smoked resistors, but no idea of the root cause.

I had Rowland repair it a few months ago, and it's been working great until now.  I'm a bit concerned, however, that it may not be repairable.

Soooo...I'm contemplating a contingency of a new (to me) phono stage and would like your guidance.

Requirements:
1. At least as good sound quality as the Consummate
2. Balanced topography
3. Enough quiet gain for my Lyra and Zero carts (0.3 - 0.5 mV)
4. Reliable
5. Adjustable loading

Preferences:
1. Solid state
2. XLR and RCA inputs, ideally at the same time since I hope to have my second arm up and running by 1/4
3. <$3k used

What should I look for?

Thanks in advance!

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
Re: New Phono Stage Recommendations Please...
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2015, 02:49 pm »
The only phono preamp that I am aware of that might even come close is the Parasound Halo JC3+.  I haven't heard one but I do know that Stereophile gave it a nice review (but then, they seem to give everything a nice review so that might not mean very much).

It doesn't have balanced inputs but it does have balanced outputs.  I think finding a unit that has both in your price range is going to be difficult, but I don't pretend to be all-knowing about phono stages at the higher end of the price scale, though I do have some experience with a few.

If you have two tonearms to connect then you might need a phono stage with two or more discrete channels.  I had an Aesthetix Rhea that had three channels, but it has three tube-driven gain stages and even with cryo treated ultra low noise tubes it just wasn't quiet enough for LOMC cartridges, so I couldn't recommend it even if you were considering a tube phono stage.

I think the Parasound has up to 68db of gain and adjustable loading options.

The Musical Surroundings SuperNova 2 has two discrete phono input channels, gain up to 60db and extensive loading options, but no balanced inputs or outputs.  Can run on AC or battery power.

I have two tables and use two phono preamps because I couldn't find one with two channels at a price I wanted to pay, but I doubt you would be interested in what I am using so I won't go there.

Good luck.

--Jerome

jtsnead

« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2015, 03:09 pm »

LKV Phono 2SB, i have one and it is awesome, you would have to unplug one arm at a time

ACHiPo

« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2015, 05:32 pm »
Update--as of this morning my linestage doesn't work either :cry:

Fortunately my Oppo 105 has a volume control and can feed my AtmaSpheres quite nicely until I figure out what's going on.  At this point I suspect either the power supply or the umbilical, as the linestage worked fine yesterday (and doesn't smell smoked).

Jerome, I'm not against two phono stages, and I don't absolutely have to have a balanced input, but the phono cable I bought for the second arm is XLR because I had an extra input on the Rowland and could switch between them fairly easily.  Both the Lyra and Zero are moderately high output for MCs--60 dB of quiet gain is sufficient.

Oh, I forgot one other "nice to have"--a way to feed my subwoofers--I'm currently using the single ended outputs from the Rowland linestage to feed the subs.

JT, I will check out the LKV--I haven't heard of them before (maybe they'll give me a deal on a pair).   I definitely don't want to unplug/plug.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2015, 10:28 pm by ACHiPo »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2015, 09:15 pm »
AC,
Call Ghostbusters?
Does the Consummate phono have separate balanced and single ended inputs for the same MC stage?   If so, that might be hard to find in a unit < $3K.

I'm assuming your line and phono are 2 separate pieces?  If you can't get the line stage going I think you should call Rowland and get an RA for both.  They're worthless as-is.  Jeff can fix them.  A couple of burnt resistors is no big deal.  It's the reason they're burnt that might cost you a bit if it's not under warranty.  Get them fixed anyway.  If you decide to sell you can honestly say they just came back from Rowland and work perfectly.

In the mean time you'll be a lot more flexible with another single ended phono cable. If you need one, Ultimate Cables in Canada makes one that's 1/2 silver and 1/2 OCC copper for around $90.  It takes awhile to settle down, but sounds pretty good.
neo 

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2015, 09:24 pm »
The Zesto Andros has XLR inputs on MC, but alas, it's tube/transformer based. Mine was dead quiet though, if that's your concern.

ACHiPo

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2015, 10:26 pm »
AC,
Call Ghostbusters?
Does the Consummate phono have separate balanced and single ended inputs for the same MC stage?   If so, that might be hard to find in a unit < $3K.

I'm assuming your line and phono are 2 separate pieces?  If you can't get the line stage going I think you should call Rowland and get an RA for both.  They're worthless as-is.  Jeff can fix them.  A couple of burnt resistors is no big deal.  It's the reason they're burnt that might cost you a bit if it's not under warranty.  Get them fixed anyway.  If you decide to sell you can honestly say they just came back from Rowland and work perfectly.

In the mean time you'll be a lot more flexible with another single ended phono cable. If you need one, Ultimate Cables in Canada makes one that's 1/2 silver and 1/2 OCC copper for around $90.  It takes awhile to settle down, but sounds pretty good.
neo
Neo,
Either ghostbusters or an exorcist. 

The Consummate is 3 pieces, a DC power supply, the line stage, and phono stage.  The fact that I had a similar issue a while back on the phono stage makes me think there is something more insidious in the power supply.  I've already decided to ship all 3 back (and the sketchy umbillicals).  It cost me $350 to get the phono stage fixed last time, which I thought was a bargain.  At the time Jeff told me as long as the amp modules are functional, the rest is pretty easy and cheap to fix, so I'm hopeful (if bummed).

The Consummate just has one phono section, but I can switch between balanced and RCA inputs relatively easily (pretty sure the phono and pre are balanced internally, so it's just what kind of connectors and where the ground is).  My WTT Reference tonearm cable is terminated with RCAs, so I bought a Jelco balanced tonearm cable for the second arm.  I absolutely love the preamp and phono stage--they do everything I need and want (except work at the moment).

I got the Consummate set for a little over $3k used (they're early units so probably sold for about $6k new, but the last Consummates sold for ~$10k--Jeff made them and sold them for several years), so I figured I should be able to get just a comparable phono stage for similar money.

In the grand scheme of things getting another tonearm cable is cheap, so I'm not terribly concerned with that at the moment.

I still have my old PSE Hybrid line stage and Lehman BlackCube phono if I want to mess with it, but I'm content to listen to digital for the time being.

ACHiPo

« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2015, 10:27 pm »
The Zesto Andros has XLR inputs on MC, but alas, it's tube/transformer based. Mine was dead quiet though, if that's your concern.
I've heard great things about the Andros.  I'm not against tubes as long as the pre is reliable.

tube-vds

« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2015, 10:36 pm »
- go to your favorite dealer
- tell him you would like to test 3 different phono stages on your hifi system for one week (DONT tell him you what to spend 3,000 $!) but say you want stages from different prices categories
- try tube and solid state both
- if he does not do that, get a new dealer or order 3 stages at amazon; send back what you don't like
- try different ohms - also the ones that are not standard...
- make your OWN decisions, trust you ears on different music - don't ask others and don't read reviews

TomS

« Reply #9 on: 26 Dec 2015, 10:45 pm »
I've heard great things about the Andros.  I'm not against tubes as long as the pre is reliable.
Completely reliable, no fussing with it at all. It just works and sounds great.

RPM123

« Reply #10 on: 27 Dec 2015, 12:19 am »

Good luck finding one (used) under $3k!

RPM123

« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2015, 12:23 am »
There is a Herron Audio VTPH2 for sale for $2600 on AgoN for the next 18 hours. It is an excellent (tubed) phono stage and I used to own one.

TomS

« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2015, 01:19 am »
Good luck finding one (used) under $3k!
Actually the original versions sell under $3k quite often  :)

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #13 on: 27 Dec 2015, 01:54 am »
If you are not allergic to tubes and diy: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139171.0  :green:

But seriously, the LKV unit posted above is good as is PBN Audio's uber version called the Olympia Pi. Both are the brainchild's of Erno Borbely if my memory serves me correctly.

Have fun,

Anand.

ACHiPo

« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2015, 08:31 am »
If you are not allergic to tubes and diy: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139171.0  :green:

But seriously, the LKV unit posted above is good as is PBN Audio's uber version called the Olympia Pi. Both are the brainchild's of Erno Borbely if my memory serves me correctly.

Have fun,

Anand.
Anad, I've been following your build and it looks quite impressive.  I've heard back from Jeff and the news is encouraging, so will hold off for the time being.  I saw a new release from the UK from Cyrus--very interesting as it has programmable gain and loading and can handle 4 cartridges.  I heard Herron a long time ago and it was decent.

Evan

TomS

« Reply #15 on: 27 Dec 2015, 12:42 pm »
Evan,

I know it seems a little crazy, but I originally bought my VinnieRossi LIO to use as just a phono stage.
http://vinnierossi.com/modules/mmmc-phonostage/

It was so good, I've since bought most of the other modules and use it as preamp/DAC/power amp as well. The price has gone up a smidge since introduction but it's $3390 without the remote loading, $3885 with it. I found the remote loading a cool feature but not really necessary in my case. That feature can be added at any time. It has 3 phono inputs (2 MC, 1 MM) remotely selected, 60+ db MC gain, all class A solid state, and absolutely no noise with the Ultracapacitor offline power supply. Unfortunately no balanced phono in, but balanced line input/output is an option. The internal topology is single ended. With a 30-day money back trial, it's very easy to listen first and decide.

Tom

ACHiPo

« Reply #16 on: 28 Dec 2015, 08:32 pm »
Evan,

I know it seems a little crazy, but I originally bought my VinnieRossi LIO to use as just a phono stage.
http://vinnierossi.com/modules/mmmc-phonostage/

It was so good, I've since bought most of the other modules and use it as preamp/DAC/power amp as well. The price has gone up a smidge since introduction but it's $3390 without the remote loading, $3885 with it. I found the remote loading a cool feature but not really necessary in my case. That feature can be added at any time. It has 3 phono inputs (2 MC, 1 MM) remotely selected, 60+ db MC gain, all class A solid state, and absolutely no noise with the Ultracapacitor offline power supply. Unfortunately no balanced phono in, but balanced line input/output is an option. The internal topology is single ended. With a 30-day money back trial, it's very easy to listen first and decide.

Tom
Tom,
What was your reference phono stage before the Lio?

Thanks,
Evan

Edit:  added :duh: as I just realize I already knew the answer to my question.  Sorry--trying to do too much research at once and confusing myself.
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2015, 04:36 am by ACHiPo »

hifi12002

« Reply #17 on: 28 Dec 2015, 09:56 pm »
Evan,

I’ve only had two phono stages so my experience is limited, but having said that I currently have the Suspiro made by Odyssey and I’m completely satisfied with it.  It is clean, crisp and sounds great.  Here are a couple of links if you’ve never seen it.   

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/suspiro-phono-preamp-odyssey-made-usa-includes-upgrade-path#DfboaMoGjjk15vdu.97

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121871.0

TomS

« Reply #18 on: 29 Dec 2015, 12:12 am »
Tom,
What was your reference phono stage before the Lio?

Thanks,
Evan
Zesto Andros

ACHiPo

« Reply #19 on: 29 Dec 2015, 04:29 am »
Wow the Andros phono stage has a great reputation.  Is the Lio equivalent, better, or just different?  Why did you switch?