Audioquest NightHawk or Audeze EL 8?

Russellc

Audioquest NightHawk or Audeze EL 8?
« on: 22 Dec 2015, 05:48 am »
Buying one or the other of these, anybody heard both?

Russellc

electricbear

Re: Audioquest NightHawk or Audeze EL 8?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2015, 03:07 pm »
The sound difference between the two is a matter of personal preference. I'd recommend auditioning both before making and decisions. The EL-8s are available in an open back or closed back version.
The Nighthawks have a very open , relaxed sound with great bass.
The closed back version ( I haven't auditioned the open back version) are more forward sounding with better clarity.
 The Nighthawks are probably some of the most comfortable hps for long listening sessions. If you happen to be in the Tampa area I have both available to listen to.

Russellc

« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2015, 07:01 pm »
Yes, I read that and am leaning to them....keep seeing good things about the $100 higher Audeze.

Russellc

Steven Stone

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2015, 09:35 pm »
Sonically the two are very different. I prefer the ergonomics of the Nighthawk - better (and more universal) termination, more comfortable for long-term listening, and for an "open" headphone very good attenuation of sound to the outside world. The EL-8 does close flatter for travel...

Russellc

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2015, 12:03 am »
Also I understand they can be listened to in balanced mode.  (The Nighthawks)  I cant find anything on the Audiquest site that
talks about it.  I suppose it would require a balanced headphone amp and I am looking at DIY options.  I also understand the Pono music player has a balanced output that can be used as such.

Russellc