Star Wars: The Force Awakens

wushuliu

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
« on: 20 Dec 2015, 04:47 am »
Just saw it. It is pretty f*ckin terrific. Cast is incredible, the tone and look of the film matches seamlessly with the originals. LOVE the minimizing of CGI (or at least unobtrusive). There were a LOT of practical effects. This Star Wars film arguably is the best of the bunch in terms of world building IMO thanks to the combination of practical and digital fx. The film is fast-paced, almost too fast-paced, but the characters and dialogue hold the film together.

Downside? The film's overall plot is way too similar to New Hope. Don't know why they did that and like other Abrams films the more you think about what's happening onscreen, the more you see the holes. But these are minor quibbles really, because the performances and overall direction is really terrific.

The end scene is pretty sweet.

I would put TFA as the best SW film after Empire and A New Hope. It exceeded my expectations. Now I can pretend the prequels never existed.

Phil A

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2015, 04:57 am »
Thanks for the notes without spoiling it.  I haven't been to the theater in about 4 years.  I may take it in after the rush dies down.  I really like watching at home.  I probably sit a hair under 10 feet away from the 100 inch screen.

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2015, 05:00 am »
Thanks for the notes without spoiling it.  I haven't been to the theater in about 4 years.  I may take it in after the rush dies down.  I really like watching at home.  I probably sit a hair under 10 feet away from the 100 inch screen.

Yes, thanks for not spoiling it! I'll get to it sometime soon.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2015, 07:45 am »
I'm gonna give it a week or two for the crowds to thin out but I'm stoked to see it. :thumb:

Ern Dog

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2015, 10:44 am »
I'm gonna give it a week or two for the crowds to thin out but I'm stoked to see it. :thumb:

Me too

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2015, 11:03 am »
A Sci-Fi fan, but not of SW.  No depth (a particular challenge for Sci-Fi in general).  Stories have all been very predictable.  Never connected with any of the characters.  Quality of effects simply vary with the budget.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2015, 01:32 pm »
I will take the time to see this one in a theater.  I don't often go out to movies anymore, but I will for something that reminds me of youth.  I was 6-7 when they originally came out, and the past 3 were kife to me.  My daughters want to see the latest Hunger Games, perhaps I can skip that one and take in the Star Wars movie instead over the holidays.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2015, 02:31 pm »
I will take the time to see this one in a theater.  I don't often go out to movies anymore, but I will for something that reminds me of youth.  I was 6-7 when they originally came out, and the past 3 were kife to me.  My daughters want to see the latest Hunger Games, perhaps I can skip that one and take in the Star Wars movie instead over the holidays.

Mark:

I was 46 when the first Star wars came out.

Cheers
                                                           Charlie

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2015, 03:55 pm »
A Sci-Fi fan, but not of SW.  No depth (a particular challenge for Sci-Fi in general).  Stories have all been very predictable.  Never connected with any of the characters.  Quality of effects simply vary with the budget.

I think the effects had more to do with when they were done and only marginally with budget.  The original film was all small sets and cameras moving and nothing digital.  For that time, it was great.  Also, Lucas made the first three horrible with the number of ships, etc., he had flying around.  It was way too distracting.  He also ruined the second (original) three by adding effects too.  Thank goodness he sold the franchise.

wushuliu

« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2015, 04:09 pm »

That's because they are not thematically SCI-Fi. It's mythic storytelling. Even within the 'universe' of the story it's mythic, hence 'A long time ago, In a galaxy, far, far, away'.

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2015, 04:40 pm »

Because the Syfy channel has those mind blowing never-seen-coming plots and twists...

PMAT

« Reply #11 on: 20 Dec 2015, 04:47 pm »
Wow, were you really looking for serious depth in the plot and fantastic character development? I was looking for visual treats and a fun, entertaining movie.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 20 Dec 2015, 05:12 pm »
Going to see it today.  Totally stoked, no matter how hokey it might be, we still love the series.

md92468

« Reply #13 on: 20 Dec 2015, 06:55 pm »
Won't spoil anything here...thought it was good but short of great. Third best of the 7, IMO. Visually spectacular (JJ nailed the tone of the originals, especially the fun that was so glaringly missing from the prequels), and great new characters (especially Daisy Ridley, who was fantastic) - but over-the-top derivative with some wooden performances by the veteran cast. Hopefully they'll take some more risks in the coming installments, because the new cast appears ready to carve its own space in the narrative.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2015, 03:56 am by md92468 »

brooklyn

« Reply #14 on: 20 Dec 2015, 07:14 pm »

I’m with JLM, I love Sci-Fi but not Star Wars.. However, I will go see it on the big screen to get the full effect and to see
what all the fuss is about.

md92468

« Reply #15 on: 20 Dec 2015, 07:25 pm »
I’m with JLM, I love Sci-Fi but not Star Wars.. However, I will go see it on the big screen to get the full effect and to see
what all the fuss is about.

It's funny that many people consider this sci-fi....I don't think of it as sci-fi at all. It's much more  of a fantasy/adventure, IMO, so I don't have the same expectations going in as I would watching an adaptation of Asimov, Dick, Clark, Heinlein, Bradbury, etc. If you go in looking for a "thinker" of a movie, you're going to be disappointed. It's a fun ride, but not much more than that...and that's OK.

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 20 Dec 2015, 09:43 pm »
Many refer to it as a space western - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Western  "Space operas such as the Star Wars film series also took strong cues from Westerns; Boba Fett, Han Solo and the Mos Eisley Cantina in particular were based on Western themes. These science fiction films and television series offered the themes and morals that Westerns previously did."

md92468

« Reply #17 on: 20 Dec 2015, 10:09 pm »
Many refer to it as a space western - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Western  "Space operas such as the Star Wars film series also took strong cues from Westerns; Boba Fett, Han Solo and the Mos Eisley Cantina in particular were based on Western themes. These science fiction films and television series offered the themes and morals that Westerns previously did."

Indeed Lucas has many times stated that much of his inspiration for the structure of the original film came from "spaghetti Westerns" of the 60s. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #18 on: 21 Dec 2015, 01:20 am »
Going to see it today.  Totally stoked, no matter how hokey it might be, we still love the series.

Our tickets are for Christmas night and we are all looking forward to a great movie.

Reviews have been super positive and it looks like getting Lucas out of the picture did the trick!

George

abernardi

« Reply #19 on: 21 Dec 2015, 01:45 am »
  I saw it yesterday and I am sad to say just how disappointed I am by it.  It's possible that I'm old and the current zeitgeist has passed me by.  I didn't know exactly what bothered me about it initially, only that I left a little depressed and a little angry.  This morning I woke up and many of my problems with the film came into focus, plot holes, character holes, etc, which I won't go into here because I don't want to spoil anything for anyone. 
  I guess, at this point I would say that as gifted and successful a filmmaker that JJ Abrams is (and I really like his movies), in him, strong is not the force (wink)...