A shocking problem

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: A shocking problem
« Reply #20 on: 18 Dec 2015, 02:34 pm »
No,  you don't feel a thing.   What I posted above is a solution that works.   Guaranteed.

Agreed that is what I have. if you want to spend money a anti-static mat from Edmound Scientific will work as well.

charles

sunnydaze

« Reply #21 on: 18 Dec 2015, 03:00 pm »
Hey Davey.....

I'm sure there are methods to fight buildup of static charge, but as you say, they are not universal and they vary by situation.

I decided to go with a simple, cheap and guaranteed method that works all the time in all cases, rather than futz around with "iffy" preventatives that may or may not work.  And there are no real changes required to clothing, furniture, environment, etc.

I don't find it onerous, and I never forget to touch the wire first.  Just another ritual.  But then again, I'm geared toward ritual --  I run two tables and four arms!       8)

Carry on, and may the charge not be with you!        :lol:

Don_S

« Reply #22 on: 18 Dec 2015, 03:53 pm »
Does touching the wire still make a huge finger-arc?

We have a lot of extremely low humidity days here, and I've learned to turn the back of my hand to the lower left corner of my amp before I touch my Pre or SBT. Simply sitting on, and getting up from, my listening spot generates mass static; footwear of any kind (or none) makes no difference. A 'zap-free' solution would be cool.

Are you saying the fabric of your listening chair brushing against your clothing generates the static?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #23 on: 18 Dec 2015, 04:06 pm »
Are you saying the fabric of your listening chair brushing against your clothing generates the static?

Yes.

sunnydaze

« Reply #24 on: 18 Dec 2015, 04:19 pm »
Definitely possible.  In the winter, sometimes I sleep under one of those soft synthetic vellux blankets, no top sheet.  Just moving around underneath it creates static.  Snap, crackle, pop.  I can actually see the sparks in the dark!  Northeast winters are very dry.

Also, just walking across carpet can create static charge.

Davey

« Reply #25 on: 18 Dec 2015, 04:29 pm »
Do you have a hygrometer?  Maybe you need a humidifier?

Brushing/rubbing is not even necessary to generate a static charge....simply separating two objects will generate some amount of static charge.

I suggest to consider the larger picture here vice innovative discharge methods.
Maybe a different wardrobe with more natural materials....a different set of socks.....shoes with a different sole that doesn't promote static build up and promotes discharge when walking.

For more active devices, you might also look in catalogs that cater to soldering professionals.  There are a wide variety of wristbands, shoe-straps, etc, etc, that are indispensable for those professions.

Even if you do want to discharge yourself before touching your audio equipment, I would not suggest a quick discharge as has been mentioned here.  Better to insert a series resistor into that path and grasp/touch for awhile longer to bleed the charge.

Regardless of audio equipment issues, I don't find it personally comfortable in very low humidity.  Solutions are worth pursuing for that reason alone.  IMHO.

Dave.

sunnydaze

« Reply #26 on: 18 Dec 2015, 04:51 pm »

Even if you do want to discharge yourself before touching your audio equipment, I would not suggest a quick discharge as has been mentioned here.  Better to insert a series resistor into that path and grasp/touch for awhile longer to bleed the charge.

Dave.

Why?  :dunno:

Are you suggesting there is some downside or negative to discharging on a ground wire?   If so, what is it?  And why is a resistor needed?     :scratch:    Aren't you just making things needlessly complicated?

I feel nothing when I touch the wire.  Zilch.  Nada.  I've employed this method for years, and there is never a static shock when I then touch my gear.  Before installing my discharge wire, I always got a shock when touching my gear.  And I don't grasp or hold it for any period of time.  I simply pinch it for a second between thumb and forefinger, then move onto my gear.

If you are talking theory, I can't keep up there.  I do know it works perfectly in the real world, and I experience no downsides or negatives.  None.  Proof is in the pudding, wouldn't you say?

Davey

« Reply #27 on: 18 Dec 2015, 05:23 pm »
Hey, if that works for you more power to you.  :)

ESD (electrostatic discharge) issues are serious business in the professional world of circuit board manufacturing and similar productions.  You wouldn't normally consider this, but there are engineers employed with the sole purpose of analyzing/alleviating latent damage in a variety of assemblies from static discharging effects in work/assembly environments.  :)  I know a little bit about this.  :)

Obviously, we're on a much simpler/smaller scale here and the chances are remote, but it's not inconceivable that the odd (charged) touch of one of your audio components could put it out of commission.  There is much sensitive electronics in many audio devices nowadays.
If you can guarantee you'll never ever forget your Step 5 above, then I think you'll be okay.  But what happens if you do forget?  This is the real world....nothing is guaranteed.  :)

A series resistor creates a much milder and controlled discharge path with much less chance of damaging sensitive components.  This is exactly the technique employed by professionals who work in this field.  You see it nearly everywhere actually.  If you take your computer to the local GeekSquad technician for repair, he should place it on an appropriate bench and put on the appropriate wrist-strap and connect before he ever touches the innards of your computer.  The wrist-straps have a discharging resistor in the band and the appropriate bench will have work mat with a slow discharging surface to it.

Cheers,

Dave.

charmerci

« Reply #28 on: 18 Dec 2015, 06:28 pm »
I thought my last post was the end of it!  :o

It's an Odyssey Tempest pre-amp with a standard 3 prong plug plugged into an outlet strip with a couple of components on top. I wear cotton clothes and the floor is fake wood, zero carpet.

I have a humidifier but I like the dry air!

Also,  the music can cut off with the tiniest of a spark, these are no "owie!" sparks. It occasionally happens when I touch the plastic laptop.