STL-area resources for recovering a damaged hard drive?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Can any GASsers recommend a reputable firm that can recover data from a hard drive? 

The warden's machine shot craps and she has/had a lot of important family pix on it.  My local IT guru has found some files but is afraid to take it any farther.

THANKS!

'brick

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
Re: STL-area resources for recovering a damaged hard drive?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2015, 03:55 pm »
I don't know anyone local, but I strongly suggest in the future stuff like that be backed up on a resilient drive. 

Quick google search shows these guys though, http://www.securedatarecovery.com/locations/missouri

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2015, 04:28 pm »
I strongly suggest in the future stuff like that be backed up on a resilient drive. 

Ya think?  Maybe Santa will bring her a backup drive.... :thumb:

Anyone have any experience with secure data recovery on Geyer Road that sharpsuxx recommended?

mjmsound

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2015, 02:11 pm »
I learned the hard way. I now have an external hard drive backing up once a week. Just needed on Sunday. :P

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2015, 03:24 pm »
Not in Seattle but may be useful.

A few years ago, I learned my backup lesson as well. Not only photos but all Quicken business stuff. It was a huge mess. I checked with the big guns and received guesstimates of $1300-3500 to recover, and the implementation was just crazy; Send us your drive and we'll let you know where on that continuum we'll put you.  It really made me question whether or not it was worth it.

Digging around, I found these guys

http://www.drivefish.com/index.html

Definitely not the high profile of the big guys, but they were able to get most of what I needed back. $300 as  I recall. A word to the wise if you happen to use Quicken or it's cousins. If you aren't using their backup utility, the data recovered on HD is useless. Come to think of it, that was the second lesson...

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2015, 03:33 pm »
Not in Seattle but may be useful.

Uh, I'm in St Louis.   :duh:   :lol:

Yeah, I got a range of $300-$1500 but they have to get their hands on it to make a final quote.  I'd do up to $1K.   Worth it to keep my wife from blaming me for it....

Thanks!

'brick

michaelhigh

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2015, 03:54 pm »
Renner Technologies in Fairview Heights should fit the bill. They rescued my pooter from the dreaded ransomware lockup for a mere $60. Took a few days (due to workload at the time), but 100% reliable now.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2015, 04:06 pm »
Uh, I'm in St Louis.   :duh:   :lol:

Yeah, I got a range of $300-$1500 but they have to get their hands on it to make a final quote.  I'd do up to $1K.   Worth it to keep my wife from blaming me for it....

Thanks!

'brick

Seattle, St. Louis, they're close to each other, right? Details, details...

Not the first time I was fooled by abbreviation.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2015, 04:34 pm »
 :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2016, 07:13 pm »
Some good news for a change.... Secure Data Recovery, which has an office near the 44/270 interchange, did an incredible job and saved all my wife's data, and by extension, my ass.

It wasn't cheap, but their top-flight customer service, lightning-fast communication, and the effort they seemed to put into the process made it feel like a bargain.  The tech even let me log in to see what they had recovered before agreeing to pay the invoice, which was to the penny exactly what the estimate was.

Highly recommended!!

:thumb: