Spatial Audio M3 Review

DavidS

Re: Spatial Audio M3 Review
« Reply #160 on: 12 Dec 2016, 09:07 pm »
I have been complaining about my small room for ages and have cycled a bunch of different gear through - some has worked better than others.  Probably should have bought M4s but was future proofing for future rooms.  And getting to point between poor recordings and the room high end audio seems like a fool's errand.

SF Dude - raided the cupboards this morning and put some heavy fabric up behind each speaker (covers a window and exterior door that we don't use like drapery).  Made a huge difference so far - especially with bass and calming energy down. 

Not sure what I could do more permanent - maybe drapes on the window and door.  Will have to consult my interior decorator (she won't like me using her duvet covers).  May have to do some research on absorption / diffusion -just not sure what would fit in my room - with window, door and fireplace as back drop.

Omegas have been on my list forever - but think the M3s are here for 2017 minimum.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #161 on: 13 Dec 2016, 01:25 am »
feeding this old topic as it was quite influential in me becoming an M3 owner (Turbo S)

I am on day three - so about 25 hours of break-in so far ...

As you will note if the photo works these are in a small room (12 x 14) - ... I have option of moving to 18 x 35 living room; ...

18 x 35 is to die for! No matter how inconvenient, you have to at least try them in there. Open baffles thrive with lots of space around them. If your wife doesn't especially like them there, but is willing to compromise, make sure you go out of your way to compensate her.

JackD

« Reply #162 on: 13 Dec 2016, 03:22 am »
David

Try a pair of these free standing one behind each speaker.  At only 20 lbs they are easily moved out of sight if need be when not in use.

http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/evolution-polyfusor-diffusor-absorber-bass-trap/

The "designer" can even pick the color and trim.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #163 on: 13 Dec 2016, 05:15 pm »
I have been complaining about my small room for ages and have cycled a bunch of different gear through - some has worked better than others.  Probably should have bought M4s but was future proofing for future rooms.  And getting to point between poor recordings and the room high end audio seems like a fool's errand.

SF Dude - raided the cupboards this morning and put some heavy fabric up behind each speaker (covers a window and exterior door that we don't use like drapery).  Made a huge difference so far - especially with bass and calming energy down. 

Not sure what I could do more permanent - maybe drapes on the window and door.  Will have to consult my interior decorator (she won't like me using her duvet covers).  May have to do some research on absorption / diffusion -just not sure what would fit in my room - with window, door and fireplace as back drop.

Omegas have been on my list forever - but think the M3s are here for 2017 minimum.

David and Sunnydaze,

I owned a pair of Omega speakers and subs (at the time it was Louis' best speakers) and they were indeed a very nice speaker.  Also, Louis is a an awesome guy and great to deal with!   :thumb:

That said, they are very different from the M3's and even with subs won't be as complete a solution as the M3's.  I also think that the M3's will provide more detail and depth.

My room isn't that big 22'x13' and I definitely notice a difference when I add or remove room treatments (I have a ton from RealTraps and GIK). 

Hang in there and try a few different things before giving up.

I haven' tried the M3's in my living room which is pretty big with 19' ceilings, but I bet they would sound quite good in there...

George

Wind Chaser

« Reply #164 on: 13 Dec 2016, 05:26 pm »
David...

My room isn't that big 22'x13'...

That's almost twice the size of David's room.

sunnydaze

« Reply #165 on: 13 Dec 2016, 05:48 pm »
David and Sunnydaze,

I owned a pair of Omega speakers and subs (at the time it was Louis' best speakers) and they were indeed a very nice speaker.  Also, Louis is a an awesome guy and great to deal with!   :thumb:

That said, they are very different from the M3's and even with subs won't be as complete a solution as the M3's.  I also think that the M3's will provide more detail and depth.

My room isn't that big 22'x13' and I definitely notice a difference when I add or remove room treatments (I have a ton from RealTraps and GIK). 

Hang in there and try a few different things before giving up.

I haven' tried the M3's in my living room which is pretty big with 19' ceilings, but I bet they would sound quite good in there...

George

Hi George....

I only mentioned Omega as a possible consideration for David since small squarish rooms are problematic and I'm getting great results with them in a room almost identically sized to his.  As is a local friend with Omegas in a very similar room. 

With the "right" amp full bodied, tonally dense, very musical and immersive.  With the wrong amp, lean brittle and stringy.

Also, I assumed the Spatial would overwhelm his small room.  Haven't heard them yet, would love to, but I've read tons about them, and I strongly suspect they need greater breathing room than he can provide.  Based on this, I surely wouldn't put them in my room, as I'm pretty sure I know the outcome.

I wasn't making a sonic comparison between the two speakers, simply suggesting what might be more suitable for his situation.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #166 on: 13 Dec 2016, 06:22 pm »
Once the Christmas tree is gone the M3's will be spending time in my larger living room.

Then it's settled. No need for smaller speakers. You have something very special to look forward to.  :thumb:

DavidS

« Reply #167 on: 13 Dec 2016, 06:48 pm »
I've got three sets of smaller speakers just sitting on sidelines - pair of Merlin tsm's wondering why they have been replaced (my decorator likes them better too), a set of tweaked Ellis 1801s sadly in the basement and some audioengines that work quite nice in the small room especially with headphone system for serious listening.

As bad as the little room is, the living room is great for audio - like a two lane bowling alley.  Even big heavy curtains on all the windows.  Just not dedicated and not sure I can run enough wire to get my microrendu in there. 

Going to pursue room treatment ideas - will ask someone like GIK or the guys in Oregon for advice.

Capitol C

« Reply #168 on: 14 Feb 2017, 10:11 pm »
I've just joined AudioCircle because I was impressed by the posts on this topic.  I wonder if some of the Spatial Audio M3 owners who listen to classical music could offer some more information on what the strong and weak points are?  In particular, has anyone come across harmonic and intermodulation distortion measurements on these speakers?  I understand why my ancient AR-3as (bought in 1972, and recently restored by me) have low distortion:   Air makes a pretty linear spring.  Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of improvements have been made since those days, that's why I'm in the market for something better!
Thanks in advance!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #169 on: 15 Feb 2017, 01:38 am »
I've just joined AudioCircle because I was impressed by the posts on this topic.  I wonder if some of the Spatial Audio M3 owners who listen to classical music could offer some more information on what the strong and weak points are?  In particular, has anyone come across harmonic and intermodulation distortion measurements on these speakers?  I understand why my ancient AR-3as (bought in 1972, and recently restored by me) have low distortion:   Air makes a pretty linear spring.  Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of improvements have been made since those days, that's why I'm in the market for something better!
Thanks in advance!
If you haven't seen it you might be interested in this review too.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=144142.msg1579461#msg1579461

Capitol C

« Reply #170 on: 15 Feb 2017, 05:07 pm »
Thanks, I read it before, but it was fun to read it again, the reviewer is a talented writer!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #171 on: 15 Feb 2017, 05:53 pm »
Thanks, I read it before, but it was fun to read it again, the reviewer is a talented writer!
Yeah just imagine if he did it for a living!   :lol:

Mike in NJ

« Reply #172 on: 18 Feb 2017, 05:15 pm »
Hello, very interesting speakers - I was considering getting some Martin Logan's , but am now considering open baffles - has anyone done a comparison to the M3 against emerald physics KC2 speakers? They are similarly priced?
Also, how does open baffle compare to Martin Logan's ? (Forget about price comparisons, as I was considering the new ML impression 11A)
I have owned magnepans before, but they lacked the bass pressure and I always had a difficult time dialing in the center image....I listen to mostly classic rock type of music.
Thanks
Mike

undertowogt1

« Reply #173 on: 3 Mar 2017, 04:13 pm »
So at what Volume level should I be braking my M3 Turbo in at.  Currently I am running a Bass Warble track at a pretty high level, but how do I know how much level these speakers can handle, how loud is too loud?

any experience and suggestions is appreciated.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #174 on: 3 Mar 2017, 04:20 pm »
So at what Volume level should I be braking my M3 Turbo in at.  Currently I am running a Bass Warble track at a pretty high level, but how do I know how much level these speakers can handle, how loud is too loud?

any experience and suggestions is appreciated.

They can handle more volume than you are provably giving them.

Play more than just bass warbles to break them in.

George

genjamon

« Reply #175 on: 3 Mar 2017, 04:21 pm »
They're pro drivers and can take hundreds of watts. Feel free to crank the volume.

whiskeytanofoxtrot

« Reply #176 on: 16 Mar 2017, 04:51 pm »
Friends.

I know many folks have run their M3's with a Red Dragon S500-but has anyone listened with a pair of Red Dragon M500 MKIIs? Thoughts?

Furthermore, has anyone been able to compare a S500 to a pair of M500 MKII's? And audible differences?

Thanks Much!

JackD

« Reply #177 on: 16 Mar 2017, 07:52 pm »
The 500 is a stereo Paschal based amp and the Mk II is a mono-block ICE amp so two differences right off the bat.  The different Class D techs do sound different from each other.  Only your ears can tell you which one you prefer.  I have used mine with W4S (ICE), Nuprime  (proprietary) and Nord (NC500), all different signatures.