O2/ODAC Amp/DAC combo Massdrop Deal $199

dB Cooper

O2/ODAC Amp/DAC combo Massdrop Deal $199
« on: 13 Dec 2015, 04:25 pm »
Wasn't sure whether this should go to the headphone circle or the cheap and cheerful circle since it could really be either one. Massdrop has the O2/ built-in ODAC combination unit for $199. This is a pretty good deal (actually a very good deal) if anyone is interested.

It's an especially good deal since the unit offered has the rear panel power and input connectors, which are normally extra cost options from the builders that offer them.

The one thing that's puzzling about this is that the amp is in the standard size enclosure but has a quarter inch headphone jack. Those of you who are familiar with this amp will know that there is no room on the circuit board for a board mounted quarter inch jack. So apparently they either altered the board layout (which would violate the open-source license, but apparently nothing is going to bring NwAVGuy out of hiding so probably not a problem) or found a way to kludge a panel mounted jack in there.

The amp looks a lot cleaner with the power and input connections removed from the front panel. I was considering joining the drop and selling my O2 and MODI DAC but after that initial rush of upgraditis settled down, I'm not sure it bothers me that much. I would say the performance of the ODAC and MODI are fairly comparable (I've heard both) so I doubt there's much if any performance incentive to do it. It was tempting to clean up my set desk set up a little bit though. If I was starting from scratch I would definitely go this route.

You can't look at the deal without a Massdrop account or save the photos but here are a couple screenshots I took which show what this version looks like.

dB Cooper

Re: O2/ODAC Amp/DAC combo Massdrop Deal $199
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2015, 12:52 am »
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that one of those outfits is actually building the thing. Both sell versions with rear panel connections but the only ones I have seen with the full size output are in a taller enclosure. I'm still trying to figure out how they managed that, because there definitely is not enough room on the board. I'm guessing it's panel mounted with some point-to-point connections to the board. Unless they did a redesign on the board, which there would be plenty of room for if you could reclaim the space reserved for two 9V batteries. No mention of batteries or battery operation on the massdrop page.

This is apparently not Massdrop's first O2 deal. One customer complained about the volume knob set screws coming loose but that could happen on anything. (The solution is a miniature screwdriver and or a new volume knob, buddy.)

I'm quite please with my O2. I'm just mildly annoyed by all the connections being to the front panel. That was a design choice by NWAVguy to prove how low a price point he could get to and still deliver a high level of performance. It allowed a blank panel. I'm not sure I want the change bad enough to go through advertising, selling, and shipping my current amp and separate Modi DAC. I think I could sell those pieces and only have to kick in about another 75 bucks but I think I'd rather put that 75 bucks in the SE535 piggy bank.