yioryos

Re: B&W 802D Tweeters and Woofer Blown
« Reply #20 on: 16 Dec 2015, 04:26 am »
Paul
Sorry to hear of your problem,I hope you sorted out and get your system up and running again.It sure makes me be more careful with my system because I like it loud too.
George

*Scotty*

« Reply #21 on: 16 Dec 2015, 04:31 am »
I was also thinking about the speaker systems sensitivity as well as its power handling. If he had a pair speakers with around a 100dB 1watt/1m sensitivity that could easily run long term at 125dB and handle at least 500 watts RMS, then blown drivers would be much less likely to occur.
Scotty

Rod_S

« Reply #22 on: 16 Dec 2015, 12:28 pm »
Rod Think the problem was that I was going out for the night and wasn't n the same room and put it up on 1:00 like i have done before but as i stated in my first post it was Floyd CD comfortably numb and its very abrasive!!!

the room is 34x20 with cathedral ceiling

I honestly thought the 802's would take a bit more power than they did at 1:30,      I have pounded gear in the past a lot less expensive and it never failed.        just when you think you got a system that will handle the power and give you the best quality sound at that price point (Cables are worth more than my last set of speakers) and for this to happen is just devastating.    Mentally and Financially

Wow that's a massive room to fill so your typical listening level would be more than most thus when you want to be pulling a lot from the amp/speakers. For a room that size I would gravitate to 800's over 802's but as you said you have used other gear in the past with no issues.

Devastating is good choice of word.

plurn

« Reply #23 on: 17 Dec 2015, 04:34 am »
this is what Mike Pickett from Bryston had to say :      Hi Paul      When the BP26 is connected via balanced outputs, the unit gain setting is reached around 1:00 to 1:30 on the volume control. Driving a 7BSST2 in 29db mode with a unity gain signal from the BDA1 would result in an output of just over 500 Watts, sufficient to damage drivers in most loudspeakers, including the 802D.

That might be 500 watts at 8 Ohms (the nominal Ohms rating of the 802D is 8 Ohms). According to the stereophile review of your speakers, they are about 3 - 4 Ohms in the bass, so I think they could potentially draw more watts for bass - getting towards 900 watts depending on music content. 7BSST2 can deliver that much power at 4 Ohms. That would probably be more than the 802Ds are designed to handle long term.

I might not have analysed that right but probably not too far off.

pmcd

« Reply #24 on: 17 Dec 2015, 05:10 am »
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2016, 11:54 pm by pmcd »

pmcd

« Reply #25 on: 17 Dec 2015, 05:13 am »
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2016, 11:54 pm by pmcd »

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #26 on: 17 Dec 2015, 05:57 pm »
I really am all about sound quality and would rather listen at lower volume so if anyone has any suggestions of a speaker replacement if it should have to happen i will be open to all suggestions

One of the things that I have always liked about this board, and James Tanner as the sponsor/moderator from Bryston, is that it is open to broad discussions, even if they stray a bit from the subject line and are not 100% Bryston centric.  It is nice to be part of a community that is just generally interested in this hobby.

Here are my recommendations.

I have never been a fan of B&W speakers.  I really want to like them, because I think they look great.  However, I cannot get over the fact that they are too bright.  On a revealing, neutral system I find them fatiguing. 

I have not had the opportunity to own Bryston speakers.  However, I have heard the Middle T ($5,400) a few times, and thought they sounded great - neutral, revealing, and musical.

I am a huge fan of Revel speakers (full disclosure, I own two pairs).  They are pretty much dead neutral and sound amazing.  If you do not like what you are hearing, it is either the recording or upstream in the system.  I suggest the Studio2 ($16,000) or the Salon2 ($22,000).  The F208 is also a great option at a much more affordable price point ($5,000).

The Magico S1 also sounds amazing.  However, it may be too small for your room.  You would likely need to consider the S3 or larger speakers.  The problem is that Magico speakers are mind numbingly expensive - S1 $12,600, S3 $22,600, S5 $32,400, S7 $58,000, up to the Q7 Mk. II $229,000.

I also liked the Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT ($13,900), but did not listen to them as much as the above speakers.

That is my $0.02.

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #27 on: 17 Dec 2015, 06:04 pm »
Your moniker leads me to think you like PMC speakers ? Or just a coincidence ?

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #28 on: 17 Dec 2015, 07:25 pm »

It is happenstance.  I have not had the opportunity to listen to PMC speakers.

srb

« Reply #29 on: 17 Dec 2015, 07:45 pm »

I assumed that was directed toward pmcd;)

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #30 on: 17 Dec 2015, 08:17 pm »
I assumed that was directed toward pmcd;)

DOH!

Rupret

« Reply #31 on: 18 Dec 2015, 12:17 am »
I had the same setup - BP26, 7BSST2, BDP1, BDA1, & 802Ds but never went past 10 o'clock on the volume knob as it was just too loud for me above that.   I replaced the 802Ds with a pair of Magico S5 speakers and like the sound.

I've listened to PMC speakers, I think the twenty six, and I thought they sounded pretty good.  I listened at low volume.

pmcd

« Reply #32 on: 18 Dec 2015, 12:46 am »
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2016, 11:57 pm by pmcd »

pmcd

« Reply #33 on: 18 Dec 2015, 12:49 am »
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2016, 12:04 am by pmcd »

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #34 on: 18 Dec 2015, 03:02 am »
Anyone have any experience with (ATC SCM40),(TOTEM Wind, Element Earth and Metal), (PMC Twenty.26 and Fact.12)

I have owned the fact.8's and currently own the fact.12's. They're great speakers but are probably not the best choice for someone who has your apparent love for LOUD. Especially not the fact.8's. Not that kind of speaker. Get a pair of MB2i's and you can turn yourself into liquid before they give up on you.

D.D.

pmcd

//
« Reply #35 on: 18 Dec 2015, 03:41 am »

Diamond Dog

« Reply #36 on: 19 Dec 2015, 03:30 am »
The fact.8's are around the same price as the twenty.26 last I checked and the 26's are the beneficiary of what PMC learned designing the fact.3 and .8. They all sound a lot bigger than the footprint would suggest. The fact series all image like crazy and the clarity and transparency of the sound is something that sticks with you after you hear them... it's eerie. I think the fact.8 is a bit more refined-sounding than the .26 but the .26 has that dome midrange... The fact.12 is the fact.8 on mega-steroids - detailed, sweet top end, a fabulous dome midrange and just a stupid-good bottom end from a cabinet that size and two little woofers in a transmission line. It's not the chest-thumping bass like the big-cabinet i-Series PMC's but it's full and it's super tight and quick. Imaging and soundstage to die for. They do everything I would want a speaker to do and handle all kinds of music in a really satisfying way. I enjoy the minimalist, clean look of them as well. Most of my listening would be under 85 dB even though I'm running them with big 600 watt mono's - the system has a real sense of ease about it. I have a friend who runs his with 7BSST2's and he likes it loud - they do that, too. The fact.8's don't do loud very well. The thought of replacing my fact.12's with something else has never crossed my mind in the time I've had them...they continue to amaze. I still feel fortunate to be able to own speakers I like this much. Check out a pair if you get a chance.

D.D.

pmcd

« Reply #37 on: 19 Dec 2015, 07:45 pm »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #38 on: 19 Dec 2015, 07:55 pm »
Diamond Dog my thirst for volume is not a necessity it was just an every now and then thing, I would much rather have a speaker that comes alive at low volume as most of my listening is when people are over or when others are in bed.
Everybody like hi sensitivity speakers as 98db or more, they have stunning transients.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #39 on: 19 Dec 2015, 09:20 pm »
D.D.

Thanks for the personal insight on the PMC's the appear to have same Mid configuration as the ATC SCM40, I like what I'm reading about the PMC's my only problem is the closest dealer is in Ontario and that's 20hrs away, I just learned that last month a retailer 5hrs away just piked up the ATC line.
I would really like to check out the PMC's how do you find the cabinet construction? I read that the ATC 40's were like paneling when tapped on but the sound was unreal.

Also the Bryston line is there as well and Focal, one of the salesmen said the SCM40's sounded so close to the Sopra's! that they were that good.

Thanks again D.D.       I'm not ruling PMC out cause I cant hear them

The cabinet fit and finish on mine is flawless and the veneer (Tiger Ebony) is very nice in a sort of understated way. I've seen the Poplar as well and it's nice but it looks like they've stopped offering it. In terms of construction, it's a sixty lb. cabinet so not for those who feel that weight is an indicator of quality. They've used HDF due to the pressure developed in the transmission line with the woofers they designed for the fact.12 and when mine are playing music with prominent bass, even with the switches in the back set for 3dB bass boost and the music playing as loud as I'd ever want in my listening room, there is no cabinet vibration to be felt when you lay your palms flat on them on any side of the cabinet. That tells me the cabinets are pretty damned rigid. They may not weigh in like Revel Salons or B&W 802's but they're well-built. I'd be curious to see what a Canadian dealer would sell these for in US dollars right now.

D.D.