The right amp for me

EProvenzano

The right amp for me
« on: 17 Nov 2015, 05:05 am »
Hello all.
This post marks my first post in many years following a hiatus from hifi audio due to a priority shift to family and career in that time.

It's no surprise that I've lost a lot of ground. I see many once familiar members have gone - thinking here of Ellis Audio and Nomad Audio. And once in vogue brands and models appear to be old news. 

I digress.  I'm in need of some guidance from the community and excited to spend some time here once again.

I feel privileged to replace my hifi system after dismantling and selling off most of it in favor of convenient big box home theater units.  No regrets. It served my young family well. I did retain one notable component from my previous hifi system, that being my Nomad Audio Ronin RMD speakers.  I invested significant personal time finishing the cabinets that there was enough sentimental value in the speakers that I chose to keep them.   Everything else is gone.

I'm starting this process here on the ava forum because it is my intention to replace my preamp and amplification first.  My values align well with ava values so they are short listed...

I'm specifically interested in hearing your input regarding the Ultravalve and Synergy 300.  Both amps are within striking distance of my budget with a slight possibility of affording the Synergy 450. Fetvalve is out or scope.

If I were to give one minor critique of the Ronin speakers, they have a laid back quality in the mid range.  I'm sure due to the open baffle design. Some might describe it as a deep sound stage. Much less forward compared to 2 way monopoles. The sound is very pleasing to me and in retrospect more satisfying than my previous Ellis 1801s. Not to mention they are a 3 way with room extension into the 20s which I like. My point is, while I like open baffle sound,  I would not want an amp to exacerbate this quality with a "vague" mid range - for lack of a better word.  Perhaps it's a non issue but I thought I should mention it. The speakers are 89 db/w iirc.

If I do decide on a ava amplifier I will buy a matching preamp with phono.  Source gear will be a vintage denon dd table and I will likely stream digital from my PC somehow.

Thanks in advance!

EProvenzano

Re: The right amp for me
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2015, 05:12 am »
I neglected to mention I have experience driving the Ronin with a Jolida 801 - KT88 output tubes at 70 wpc.   Power was adequate but not sure if the Ultravalve ' s 35 watts will be adequate.

Listening room is 12x20x8'.  Moderate volume most of the time but I do like to rock out once in a while :).

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2015, 05:18 am »
Not to mention they are a 3 way with room extension into the 20s which I like.

The Synergy 300 is the way to go with speakers that go into the 20's. The sound of the Ultravalve and Synergy 300 is more similar than different, at a low volume it would be hard to tell them apart. At medium to loud volume the Synergy will excel at bass definition, authority, and depth.

RPM123

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2015, 05:56 am »
There is an Ultravalve on AudiogoN now for $1000. I have one driving 93 db efficient speakers and I am quite happy with that pairing!

avahifi

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2015, 01:47 pm »
EProvenzano, I think that our Synergy 300 combined with our new Vision preamplifier will provide you with years of musical enjoyment.

They will be a fine match for your speakers.

Please call me at 651-330-9871 for more help.

Frank Van Alstine

EProvenzano

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2015, 02:49 pm »
Thank you all for the quick replies.

Frank I will call you in the next day or two.

As a side bar, what practical options do I have to stream my audio library to the Vision preamp?
I'm not technically challenged but I don't want my audio system to be overly complex, so a simple solution is preferable.

My music library is ripped from CD to FLAC and stored in a PC laptop.

Thanks again.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2015, 03:56 pm »
Thank you all for the quick replies.

Frank I will call you in the next day or two.

As a side bar, what practical options do I have to stream my audio library to the Vision preamp?
I'm not technically challenged but I don't want my audio system to be overly complex, so a simple solution is preferable.

My music library is ripped from CD to FLAC and stored in a PC laptop.

Thanks again.

Well- the best thing is to get a stand-alone DAC unit to convert your FLAC flies into analogue. It is vastly preferable to the sound of any soundcard installed in a computer.  Then stream your files from the laptop using one of digital streamers (ROKU, Western Digital and many others). That device is hooked up to a DAC through either optical or co-ax connection. You could just connect your laptop to a DAC, if it is practical.  I am using an AVA DAC and Apple TV as I am on a Mac side.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2015, 04:36 pm »
You probably don't need yet another fanboy to chime in, but what the heck. :thumb:

I've got Frank's 240/3 for my center and L/R channels in my HT system. When it first arrived, I connected my Nuforce AVP-18 HT pre/pro and listened to two channels only. Then I listened to my Sim Audio i3.3 integrated (I know. That's not fair.) and was stunned at how much better the 120w AVA amp sounded over the 100w Sim Audio. It was not an apples to apples comparison, but it surprised me because I had held my i3.3 up on a pedestal until that moment. (Crash!)

Frank can verify the exact timing, but I think it didn't take more than 3 or 4 months before I bought a 400R to replace my i3.3. I still have both amps in Oregon, and I miss my 400R while I am away. :(

I have no experience with Frank's other amps, so I can't comment there.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2015, 05:26 pm »
I have heard the Synergy amps and they sound great.  Very smooth sounding with good dynamic's.  They have a musical midrange and there is no glare or fatigue in the high frequencies.

For computer music, there are quite a few budget DAC's in the $150 to $500 range.  The ifi DAC's sound great for the money although I think that their gear is a little overpriced.  I have been able to audition many of the ifi products as I have a friend who has a working relationship with them.  If you are on a tight budget, the AudioQuest Dragon Fly usb dac has a nice sound for $150.  Pair it with the AudioQuest Jittter Bug for $50 and it takes it to another level.  I bought both for my son.

Pair the DAC's with HQ player or preferably Bug Head (as long as your computer has the horse power to run either of these programs, you can PM me if you have questions) and you will be rewarded with stunning sound.

Larry

EProvenzano

« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2015, 08:26 pm »
Now that I think of it, I might still have a Squeeze box 2 with a modified power supply collecting dust somewhere.  Is this still a viable solution?

Would it create a bottle neck in the system I'm planning above?

avahifi

« Reply #10 on: 18 Nov 2015, 03:53 am »
Greyhound Fan, would you like to take a couple of Fet Valve M1KW mono amps home for a weekend audition?

If so give me a call.  651-330-9871

Frank

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2015, 05:33 am »
Greyhound Fan, would you like to take a couple of Fet Valve M1KW mono amps home for a weekend audition?

Frank

Awesome.  8)

japa

« Reply #12 on: 18 Nov 2015, 06:07 am »

Frank

I don't see any on your website about these amps.

modular747

« Reply #13 on: 18 Nov 2015, 07:38 am »

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 18 Nov 2015, 04:36 pm »
Frank, I will call you tomorrow. I have a couple of AC friends that I can invite over for a listen.

Larry

EProvenzano

« Reply #15 on: 24 Nov 2015, 01:45 am »
EProvenzano, I think that our Synergy 300 combined with our new Vision preamplifier will provide you with years of musical enjoyment.

They will be a fine match for your speakers.

Please call me at 651-330-9871 for more help.

Frank Van Alstine

Hello Frank.
I sent you an email...just haven't had time to call.

Rocket

« Reply #16 on: 24 Nov 2015, 08:00 am »
Hi,

I remember you from a number of years ago and I'm sure you built a really nice pair of Ellis Audio 1801's from my memory.  Have you also thought about Van Alstine Ultra Valve amplifier?  Frank has recently dropped the price to $1599USD.  Something to consider.

Now remember to keep the kids out of your listening. Btw Bryston has a really nice BDP-1 player which is also something to consider.  These go for about $1000USD second hand.

Cheers Rod