advice upgrading my system

mstrartst

« on: 17 Oct 2004, 08:53 pm »
I listen to yahoo dsl launchcast internet radio and dish network satellite CD music stations, some music cd's, and some satellite TV movies while I work at home and am thinking of upgrading from my Klipsch 2.1 speakers to Klipsch ultra 5.1 surround and getting a new sound card for my pc (maybe the soundblaster audigy eom).  I want the best sound quality from these sources without spending more than I need to. Can anyone give me info (in basic laymans terms) about the potential sound quality from these different sources?  Using Klipsch 5.1 speakers, will I notice any difference if I pay more than $100 for a new sound card? Also, do I need to upgrade my stock cables for such a system? Thanks from a novice.

Karnaaj

« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2004, 09:11 pm »
I would stay away from the audigy if music is going to be your primary use for it.  I own this card and for gaming it can't be beat.  But for music I would go for the m-audio revolution.  Its currently $70 at newegg.  I don't think you are going to see a whole lot of improvement upgrading your speakers.  Basically all you'll be adding is surround sound capabilities which you will not be getting a lot of use of on a computer.

mstrartst

thanks Karnaaj
« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2004, 06:50 pm »
Thanks Karnaaj..very much appreciate the tip...I just purchased the m-audio revolution 7.1 per your suggestion.  I read a  lot of reviews about it and it does sound perfect for improved music quality. One reviewer suggested upgrading to WINDVD 5 pro with dvd audio to be able to play dvd audio discs on a PC with the Revolution 7.1 sound card. From what I understand there are just a few labels and artists who make titles available in dvd audio format, but at least it would be an opportunity to hear what my new sound card is capable of.  Thanks again for the help my friend.