STA-9

pewe

Re: STA-9
« Reply #320 on: 26 Mar 2019, 08:10 am »
Thank you for your reply. Just to clarify: do you mean that one STA-9 is doing a better job than two STA-9 in bridged configuration to a pair with low sensitivity speakers like mine? I'm not that technical but surely a pair of amplifiers in bridged mode is more capable of running difficult speakers? Or am I missing something here?

ST-10M is out of my budget unfortunately. So I'm choosing between two STA-9 or one ST-10. I'm going to use my system for both music and movies in a 2.0 configuration.

I also believe that the ST-10 is a safe choice, it looks like a very fine amplifier, but I was curious to hear what you recommend to low sensiitivity speakers.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #321 on: 26 Mar 2019, 01:36 pm »
Don't get hung up on the 85db number. Most speakers fall between 85 and 88.  The horns have 90+ but that is another niche.

Mine are 87db and deep to 3.8Ohms, and the ST-10 could punch a hole in them with ease.   Go for two STA-9 if you want the warmer sound, go for the ST-10 for more neutral sound.  Don't worry about power.

You could even go with a single STA-9 and see if you are missing power (I bet you won't) and if you are, go with those second one.

To clarify, no, no one said that one 9 has more punch than two, he recommended two 9s (in modo mode) or two 10Ms.

pewe

« Reply #322 on: 27 Mar 2019, 12:27 pm »
Thanks for your input RafaPolit, much appreciated. My gut feeling says I should choose ST-10. BTW, do you use DAC-9 and ST-10 in your own system?

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #323 on: 28 Mar 2019, 05:14 am »
I have the matching ST-10 and DAC-10 vía balanced connectors. I don't have access to the DAC-9.

My gut feeling said the same as yours: the 9s may be enough, but the 10s are for sure going to fit the bill.  Without the option to audition them, I decided for the surest bet.