INFINITY PRIMUS P363 Speakers-TAS recommended

OzarkTom

INFINITY PRIMUS P363 Speakers-TAS recommended
« on: 11 Nov 2015, 12:41 am »
Is anyone out there running these Infinity speakers? They made it in the TAS 2016 BUYER’S GUIDE: FLOORSTANDING LOUDSPEAKERS UNDER $2,000.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2016-buyers-guide-floorstanding-loudspeakers-under-2000/

Here is the TAS review.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/infinity-primus-p363-loudspeaker/?page=2

Amazon is selling them at the moment for $109 each.

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-Three-way-Floorstanding-Speaker/dp/B0046A8R3M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447202126&sr=8-1&keywords=INFINITY+PRIMUS+P363

Hook up a used Crown XLS 1500 amp to them and for around $400 this would be a heck of a deal for a second system or newbies getting into this hobby.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: INFINITY PRIMUS P363 Speakers-TAS recommended
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2015, 01:02 am »
I think my buddy Rex is going to buy a pair. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2015, 01:15 am »
I think my buddy Rex is going to buy a pair.

Nawww,he is buying the Elac floorstanders. :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2015, 01:21 am »
Nawww,he is buying the Elac floorstanders. :thumb:
I think I am too but they're not out yet. 

kbuzz3

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2015, 02:01 am »
I've tempted as they are offered cheap on the fryes daily sales. Only thing holding me back is the reviews indicated you need about at least 8 feet back for proper integration.   Oh. And the Elacs. Lol

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2015, 02:33 am »
I think I am too but they're not out yet.

Amazon has them in stock, so does Music Direct. With Rex now living in Hawaii, Amazon shipping is a lot cheaper for him. $48 vs $110 from Music Direct.

http://www.amazon.com/ELAC-Debut-Tower-Speakers-Each/dp/B014GSEPY8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1447208993&sr=1-2&keywords=elac

OzarkTom

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2015, 02:35 am »
I've tempted as they are offered cheap on the fryes daily sales. Only thing holding me back is the reviews indicated you need about at least 8 feet back for proper integration.   Oh. And the Elacs. Lol

Fryes should have a good return policy.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2015, 02:41 am »
Amazon has them in stock, so does Music Direct. With Rex now living in Hawaii, Amazon shipping is a lot cheaper for him. $48 vs $110 from Music Direct.

http://www.amazon.com/ELAC-Debut-Tower-Speakers-Each/dp/B014GSEPY8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1447208993&sr=1-2&keywords=elac
Those aren't the ones that I'm talking about.

OzarkTom

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2015, 02:48 am »
Those aren't the ones that I'm talking about.

Not the ones at RMAF? :scratch:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2015, 02:49 am »
Not the ones at RMAF? :scratch:
Nope.  The ones that will hopefully be released in 2017 that every speaker manufacture should be scared of.  I very much look forward to it!

OzarkTom

« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2015, 03:19 am »
Nope.  The ones that will hopefully be released in 2017 that every speaker manufacture should be scared of.  I very much look forward to it!

Rex would have bought my Zellaton Emotions, but he said they were too large for their small house in Hawaii. I found a pair of used Zellaton Grands I would like to buy, but need to sell the Emotions first. The Zellaton Statements are now out, watch for a write-up in TAS in the December issue. Once you live with Zellatons, you will never want anything else. :D

kbuzz3

« Reply #11 on: 11 Nov 2015, 03:55 am »
Have to check. But I think the fryes offer is 100 a pop.

Would love to hear from someone who has them.  If I had money I'd buy them and the Elacs fora beer budget showdown.....

srb

« Reply #12 on: 11 Nov 2015, 04:37 am »
Have to check. But I think the fryes offer is 100 a pop.

Frys price for the Infinity P363 is $109 11/8/2015 thru 11/14/2015, but oddly says "Limit one per Household", and they are sold as Each.

OzarkTom

« Reply #13 on: 11 Nov 2015, 05:03 am »
Sensitivity is 93 dB, so one of these cheap chip amps would power them nicely.

Product Highlights:
frequency response 38-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
handles up to 200 watts
sensitivity 93 dB
8-ohm impedance
Metal Matrix Diaphragm® drivers minimize distortion
3/4" MMD dome tweeter
4" MMD midrange
dual 6-1/2" MMD woofers
bass-reflex (ported) design
black woodgrain vinyl finish
5-way binding posts
9-1/4"W x 40-5/16"H x 13"D
weight: 48.5 lbs.
warranty: 5 years

tubesguy2

« Reply #14 on: 11 Nov 2015, 02:30 pm »
Wow! Four drivers, crossover components, cabinet - all for $109 shipped to my door.  Looks like some genius discovered these are cheaper to sell than to landfill.  :wink:

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #15 on: 13 Nov 2015, 02:28 am »

They must measure perfect, otherwise who in there right mind would buy them :roll:

wushuliu

« Reply #16 on: 17 Nov 2015, 01:41 am »

The 363s have been around for a long while now. I'm surprised TAS is only doing a review now. Sounds like treble and bass control is a must though.

If no tone control is possible my guess is a Crown would not be a good match for an amp...

Also Audioholics disagreed with the 8 ohm rating, citing a strong impedance dip *below* 4 ohms in mid-bass.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #17 on: 17 Nov 2015, 05:38 pm »
A few years back I bought a pair of Infinity Primus 160's for my daughter based on reviews.  They sound terrible.  I tried them with high end gear and they still sounded bad-muted, dull.  Hopefully the newer versions are better. 

I would be leery about buying the 363's based on the TAS review where they were trying to be nice about not giving a bad review.

It really is a shame what the Harman Group has done to Infinity.

wushuliu

« Reply #18 on: 17 Nov 2015, 07:41 pm »
A few years back I bought a pair of Infinity Primus 160's for my daughter based on reviews.  They sound terrible.  I tried them with high end gear and they still sounded bad-muted, dull.  Hopefully the newer versions are better. 

I would be leery about buying the 363's based on the TAS review where they were trying to be nice about not giving a bad review.

It really is a shame what the Harman Group has done to Infinity.

To be fair, the Primus line has gotten very good reviews for years from different publications, including Stereophile. As for the 160, IIRC Stereophile found it to have a ruler flat response. However since then Harmon upped the treble and bass. So the newer models should sound far from dull.

zobsky

• Fringe Lunatic - Dallas, Tx
    • My Audio Blog
« Reply #19 on: 20 Nov 2015, 11:38 pm »
The treble is clear but a bit sibilant on these speakers and is the weak point of this speaker. The midbass bass is loose but not a big issue if you stuff the ports or use them as entry level home theater components. The midrange is excellent. 

The tweeter used on this speaker looks like a $1 piece of junk

They are really intended as entry level home theater speakers for the mass market crowd, and not for music lovers. I've owned a pair and sold them. I've recommended them to my brother in law and it works well in his budget home theater with an entry level sony home theater.

Many moons back, I took apart a pair to tweak
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/215759-zobsky-tweaks-infinity-primus-363-floorstander.html