Neophyte

Zorro Plateado

Neophyte
« on: 8 Nov 2015, 06:54 am »
Hello All,
I've been a huge fan of music my entire life but once I got a Sony Mini-Disc Player for my Birthday in high School I began to realize how important sound quality really was. Recently, I ditched my Spotify account to jump into the HiFi streaming world of Tidal. I'm currently in the market for a HiFi Multi-Room system. I'm interested in a few (not Sonos) including: Bluesound, Raumfeld (Soon to be released in the US next year), Definitive Technology and a few others. I'm attracted to the ease of setup and the fact that I can play the same playlist throughout my house (great for entertaining) in high Res. Also, I listen to so many different genres of music; from Classic Rock to Indy Rock to Hip Hop to EDM to Jazz which makes it even more difficult to pick a system. I'm open to all feedback in regards to a specific multi-room system or on multi-room systems in general.
I purchased "The Complete Guide to High-End Audio) by Robert Harley and ever since, I've started rethinking my approach to home audio. The Super MMGs by Magnepan have become more and more tempting the more I research them. My budget would be on the low end of the spectrum for a system...roughly $2500 to start me off with every intention of upgrading along the way. Any advice or guidance would be highly appreciated. I look forward to learning as much as I can before making my purchases.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Neophyte
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2015, 10:25 am »
Welcome Zorro :thumb:
Sometimes in the San Diego way there is road robbers who want to steal your hi-fi money, in this case you must use the whip DIY even if the mighty Captain Monastario threatens you with failure.
« Last Edit: 8 Nov 2015, 04:04 pm by FullRangeMan »

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2015, 12:07 pm »
Zorro, welcome to AudioCircle where you will find help to guide you
in your music venture...

Guy 13

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2015, 12:31 pm »
Welcome aboard.  Many find the hunt for equipment more fun that listening.  (Gear swapping is what keeps vendors alive.)

If you haven't done so already, educate your ears.  Learn music and what audio attributes you're attracted to.  You mentioned Harley's book, that's a good start.  The best way to learn what music really sounds like is to attend live/un-amplified performances in good sounding venues on a regular basis.  Check out local folk music, larger colleges offer a variety of music (many are free).  For rock genres better to play DVD/BlueRay on a good HT system rather than trying to listen to a PA system in an arena from 200 feet away. 

When shopping bring a good sampling of your favorite music (I include at least 1 poorly recorded example to make sure it'd still be somewhat listenable).  The internet provides ideas of what is out there and what might work for you, but isn't much good beyond that.  I use shops and especially shows only for veto purposes as the only good test is in your home with your electricity/room(s)/and rest of your system.  Limit yourself to 3 or 4 auditions a day and take notes.  Try to arrange having competing pieces in the house at the same time for A/B testing (don't worry about blind testing, that's for labs). 

I say shop for speakers first as they (and your room) are the biggest factors of how the system will sound, then look for amps that synergize best to your chosen speakers.  Nearly all audiophiles over buy gear for their given spaces in my opinion (rooms are too small, poorly designed, and/or have various domestic limitations).  You mentioned multi-room entertaining.  Accept that most of your friends aren't there to seriously listen and probably don't appreciate good sound reproduction anyway, so invest most your budget into your system and go with Sonus/Bluesound/etc. elsewhere.  (I have a $7000 system in my study and replaced leftover gear in the living room with a $100 Logitech UE smart radio.  The tiny UE radio has received praises and 2 folks have bought one for themselves.)

take care,

Blackmore

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2015, 01:43 pm »
Welcome Zorro

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2015, 02:17 pm »
Welcome to AC!