The Mighty VR55

Mountainjoe

• President & CEO Eigen Audio Dealer
    • Eigen Audio
Re: The Mighty VR55
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jan 2016, 05:26 am »
MtJoe - did the Ultra speaker cable change much over break in and if so how long till they sounded best?

They were cooked pretty good at the factory but continued to improve noticeably the first 200 hours or so. Still got better over time but more in more subtle ways.

gammajo

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jan 2016, 02:19 pm »
MountainJoe - Thanks for the feedback on the Ultra break in. Sounds like a pleasant process with no major bumps.

Mountainjoe

• Eigen Audio
« Reply #22 on: 27 Jan 2016, 05:12 am »
I'm shipping MtJoe's on Monday.  And I hope they aren't phono cables.  If they are I made a booboo.   MasterBuilt is making your Ultra's now.  I thought the Signatures were the best cables out there until the Ultra's showed up.  I just received the Ultra AES cable and couldn't believe the results.

So did my cables ship? :green:

Mountainjoe

• Eigen Audio
« Reply #23 on: 22 Feb 2016, 10:40 pm »
So now that I've had my Ultra ICs for a while, I thought I would report back my experience with these cables (thanks Leif! :thumb:).

First, if you want a full description of my system, please search my name and VR55 and you should find a couple of threads where I give a detailed breakdown of my gear.

These ICs are a 1m pair of single ended RCAs and replace a pair of Darwin Ascension cables (their highest performing line) that I've been using between my Zesto PS1.2 phono stage and my VTL TL6.5 preamp.

Let me preface the report with this - I thought my Darwin cables sounded pretty good to begin with as I've had some very experienced folks (including Albert!) tell me my system is one of the best they've heard (which is also my own opinion, of course  :green:). In fact, my expectations for the Ultras was tempered by that belief and though I expected some improvement (having spent the money  :duh:), I thought the improvement would be subtle and take some time doing A/B comparisons and dedicated, attentive listening to discern.

Also, a bit on the break-in of the cables - Leif burned these in at the factory before shipping out to me but they did take some time to settle into my system. The cables come with a note stipulating that they need 48 hours for the crystalline structure to re-form when moved into a new system (or some such - I'm paraphrasing as I don't have the paper in front of me). Upon first listen, the cables were a bit forward and aggressive in their presentation, especially in the upper mids and highs but that has settled down after putting some time on them. After that initial bit of settling in, they continue to improve on every listen but in more subtle (and pleasing) ways.

On to the report - what I experienced upon installation of these cables is an immediate and significant improvement in the low-mid to bass region - not a traditional boost in the response, but more that the lower frequencies are presented with more body, solidity, and articulation than ever before. Playing some vinyl with very well recorded drums (e.g. Led Zeppelin II & Thelonious Monk Criss-Cross), the tightness and articulation of the drums is amazing - you can feel the full weight and movement of air from the drums as though they were live. You can literally feel the membranes of the drums pushing the air when they are struck. These cables let you fully appreciate the design of (active) bass section of the VR55 speaker  :thumb:

The high frequency extension is also improved with the Ultras (though perhaps not as significantly as the bass region as I think the Darwin's are pretty good in this respect) - and again, not to say they were being rolled-off with the Darwin's but more that the Ultra cables brought more air and transparency to the highs with no artificial boost, glare, or harshness - they simply present a very natural sound which is again complemented by the amazing tweeter used in the VR55.

In terms of overall improvement, the Ultras have brought an amazing sense of depth and 3-dimensionality to the soundstage - more so than I've ever experienced before. The presentation is life-like with instruments exhibiting a real physical palpability that not only satisfies "suspension of disbelief" but is also very seductive and captivating in a way that is hard to describe but easy to experience :o. The transparency and clarity of these cables, especially with vocals (and mids in general) has me re-experiencing my vinyl collection with a whole new level of appreciation and satisfaction.

Honestly, there's no way I could have anticipated the improvement in sound brought by these cables to my system as I didn't have a reference point that included what I'm now hearing out of my system (nor what I thought was possible with audio reproduction). Next, I plan to upgrade my main (balanced) ICs between my preamp and amps - if the improvement is similar to what I'm getting with these ICs, I will be one happy audiophile  :D

Happy Listening!

gammajo

« Reply #24 on: 23 Feb 2016, 01:12 am »
Nice to hear your report today, as an appetizer, as I was told that my Ultra speaker cables are shipping today.

jbr

« Reply #25 on: 23 Feb 2016, 01:33 am »
I'm glad your cables are working out. I decided to go a little bit crazy and will soon receive "only" Signature line biwire speaker cables and two Signature interconnects (amp to preamp and preamp to cd player) to go with my soon to be acquired Unifield 2 Signature speakers. I realize these cables are not Ultras, but this is definitely a huge investment for me. I sincerely hope I will get as much satisfaction from this line, as you appear to be getting with the Ultras.

gammajo

« Reply #26 on: 23 Feb 2016, 01:55 am »
jbr - It is a significant investment and I think that you will love your Signatures as I have loved mine

Mountainjoe

• Eigen Audio
« Reply #27 on: 23 Feb 2016, 02:07 am »
I'm glad your cables are working out. I decided to go a little bit crazy and will soon receive "only" Signature line biwire speaker cables and two Signature interconnects (amp to preamp and preamp to cd player) to go with my soon to be acquired Unifield 2 Signature speakers. I realize these cables are not Ultras, but this is definitely a huge investment for me. I sincerely hope I will get as much satisfaction from this line, as you appear to be getting with the Ultras.

Congratulations on your new system - that will be one sweet setup!  :thumb:

Cheers, Joe

htradtk

« Reply #28 on: 24 Feb 2016, 12:21 am »
OK Joe's,

Here's one to try and to report back: how about "Aaron Copland's Fanfare for the common man" on your 55's and the Ultra's! I'm sure those kettle drums will wake up the neighborhood!

Henry

gammajo

« Reply #29 on: 24 Feb 2016, 02:41 am »
Been there done that along with many other awesome bass pieces - lots of fun!

Mountainjoe

• Eigen Audio
« Reply #30 on: 24 Feb 2016, 07:01 pm »
OK Joe's,

Here's one to try and to report back: how about "Aaron Copland's Fanfare for the common man" on your 55's and the Ultra's! I'm sure those kettle drums will wake up the neighborhood!

Henry

The horns are sweet and the drums - well I think I excited a tympanic resonance in my floor  :green:  :thumb:

Cheers, Joe

gammajo

« Reply #31 on: 27 Feb 2016, 03:25 am »
My Ultra Speaker cables are due here on Monday - feels like Christmas eve this weekend!

Mountainjoe

• Eigen Audio
« Reply #32 on: 27 Feb 2016, 03:37 am »
My Ultra Speaker cables are due here on Monday - feels like Christmas eve this weekend!

You're in for a real treat  :thumb:

gammajo

« Reply #33 on: 2 Mar 2016, 10:09 pm »
Just posted my initial impressions of the Ultra Speaker cables under new topic: Masterbuilt Ultra Speaker Cable Review - let me know what you think
Joe