Don Sachs SP14 Tube Preamp Review

Pryso

Re: Don Sachs SP14 Tube Preamp Review
« Reply #540 on: 1 Feb 2019, 06:07 pm »
This morning I found Don just posted this on Audiogon.  I trust he won't mind my relaying it here.  Now I need to think about the upgrade. :duh:

Hi All,
A customer pointed out this thread to me.   I will just say that I have improved the line stage by about 10-15% in the past few months.   I have gone to a different output cap, a Polish made Duelund copy that is just mesmerizingly good.   Also, about a month ago I managed to adapt the preamp so it can take a 6BY5 rectifier and still use the 6X5GT or Bendix that it always could.  The 6BY5 adds an even richer and fuller tone.   All in all I would say the latest version is 10-15% better than it was a few months ago.

cheers,
Don

RLB61

« Reply #541 on: 11 Feb 2019, 03:21 am »
First post here on the Circle, and I'm glad it's on this thread. Yesterday, I ordered a fully tricked out Model 2 preamp from Don with certain output upgrades to drive properly my low impedance SS power amp and subwoofer. Don has been very informative and patient with my incessant, voluminous questions. I look forward to getting the Model 2 in the next few weeks. Review to follow.

mresseguie

• Volunteer
  • D Sachs amp/pre + Daedalus Audio Speakers = HEAVEN
« Reply #542 on: 11 Feb 2019, 06:26 am »
RLB61,

Oh, boy. You are in for a treat. Don’s Model 2 is a beauty - musically and aesthetically.

I’ll probably try the upgrade to the rectifier. The Polish caps will have to wait until late Fall because I don’t want to be without my baby until then.

Michael

P.S. Don’s Kootenay 120 is a perfect match for the Model 2.   :thumb:

RLB61

« Reply #543 on: 12 Feb 2019, 04:58 am »
Trust me, I'm considering seriously the Kootenay ... Don insists that it will take the music to another level over my SS amp. One thing at a time, though. In the meantime, I'm excited about the Model 2.