Don Sachs SP14 Tube Preamp Review

mresseguie

• Volunteer
  • D Sachs amp/pre + Daedalus Audio Speakers = HEAVEN
Re: Don Sachs SP14 Tube Preamp Review
« Reply #501 on: 24 Jul 2018, 01:56 am »
Have you got any more details on it? Could it be a VTA SP14?

It appears to have a nice complement of upgraded caps. I do not know how they compare to Jupiter or Dueland caps.

What information are you seeking?

aguaazul

« Reply #502 on: 24 Jul 2018, 02:00 am »
Looks like the VTA SP-14. Has the older style Khozmo wireless remote. 2 sets of output caps. Some beefy power supply caps for sure. Nicely wired also.

Lazz

« Reply #503 on: 24 Jul 2018, 11:11 am »
Yes the front does say vacumn tube audio. Don't know anything about it. It popped up in facebook images. Thx for the replies.

Lazz

« Reply #504 on: 29 Jul 2018, 03:04 pm »
Can someone tell me how is the DS able to have the tubes sticking out of the case as opposed to the Roy Mottram where they are on the board and inside the case?

genjamon

« Reply #505 on: 29 Jul 2018, 03:07 pm »
The DS version is the circuit board mounted upside down against the top cover of the case. And the tube sockets are mounted to the bottom side of the board rather than the top, thus facing the top part of the case.

Lazz

« Reply #506 on: 7 Aug 2018, 11:25 pm »
HI
That cap calculator is nonsense.  They want you to assume that the LF rolloff will start at 10X the value of the -3 dB point. They want to sell you a large and expensive cap.  The reality of it is that 3 octaves is plenty and 2 octaves is really sufficient.  An octave is 2X the frequency value.  So even 3 octaves is only 8X.   If you keep the - 3 dB point below 5 Hz I seriously doubt you will hear any LF loss into your amp.  If you really want to drive a 10K load then you can go 3 uF.  Into 10K to get a 5 Hz -3dB point you need 3.185 uF of capacitance.   So 3 uF is fine.  The thing is, that besides cost, there is a tradeoff in sonic quality between values as you get a larger cap value.  More phase error, etc...  I cannot hear any difference in cap sizes up to about 3 uF.  If I put a 4.7 uF cap in I don't think it sounds quite as good.  So you are using a larger cap to avoid any rolloff at all below 20 Hz and giving up sound quality.  The reality is that there is little if any music below 25-30 Hz unless you are into electronica or Bach organ fugues.  Piano goes down to 27.5 Hz and bass about 30 Hz.  Also, most people don't have speakers that will play below 30-35Hz.   So if you use a 3 uF cap you might get a smidge of LF rolloff into 10K between 20 and 35 Hz, but your speakers and the music itself don't go down there anyway.  So you put a 4.7 uF cap in the preamp to get performance you don't need and it doesn't sound quite as good as the 2 or 3 uF cap.   

Quite frankly I never understood why on Earth a manufacturer would make ANY amp with a 10K input impedance.  There are plenty of good SS amps out there with 47K input impedance and some are 100K.  It has nothing to do with SS vs. tube.  Any tube amp I have ever seen is 80K or higher and most are 100K.   My KT88 amp is 220K.   If I am building an amp and matching preamp for a customer I use .33 uF caps.  That gives a -3 dB point of 2.2 Hz and a nice small output cap.

What would be the optimum cap value for my monoblocks. They state "INPUT IMPEDANCE : 130kOhms in parallel with 82pF". I have very large full range speakers can play down to 20hz. Thx.

A_shah

« Reply #507 on: 8 Aug 2018, 04:28 am »
What would be the optimum cap value for my monoblocks. They state "INPUT IMPEDANCE : 130kOhms in parallel with 82pF". I have very large full range speakers can play down to 20hz. Thx.

My DS- 2 does go down to 20 HZ flat as per Don ,  best call Don and ask him  I have two sets of caps 1 set is the Jupiter 1 Uf and the 2nd set is audiocap theta with Russian bypass Teflon  3.uf caps both are very sweet sounding I use the jupiter with my quicksilver tube  mono 60 and the 3 uf when I use Odyssey SS amp.my Daedalus  Poseidon go from 28hz- to 24K hz.

Asghar 

bluemeanies

« Reply #508 on: 18 Aug 2018, 11:27 am »
Back on TOPIC
I have the SP14!
Custom job but NOT from DS.
I am using the Shaugang Treasure 181Z for the gain AND buffer positions.
How sweet thy sound!

For the money and just the idea of this pre-amp I feel it compares with pre-amps costing in the $10,000 range. Some may disagree but that is how I feel about this unit. Togather with my Audionote 4.1LE tube Dac.
Amazing LIFELIKE sound, bigger bass and soundstage.
The midrange is superlative...sublime.
I was really impress with gaining a better soundstage since my room has a ceiling height of only 7'&6'4".

Well worth the investment..I paid to have it assembled but it was worth it.
No hum. Quiet as a mouse.

kbuzz3

« Reply #509 on: 9 Oct 2018, 06:53 pm »
Those isolation devices are not exactly or even remotely attractive or inconspicuous!

I'll stick with the Herbie's Tenderfoot!

how did you find using using herbies tenderfeet on your sub? The reason i ask is I have some lying around but herbies usually recommends other materials for subs....like big fat dot etc.

costa49

« Reply #510 on: 19 Oct 2018, 06:20 pm »
I am from Brazil and received my Don Sachs II with Shuguang treasure 181-Z and 2 different exits, one of them with 3.0 cap recommended to my Accuphase P-6100 (20 Kohms out). What I can say is that I am simply loving it. Spectacular timbre, with great bass and mid / treble sweets, which are making me listen to music for hours without fatigue. Despite the difficulty I had in importing him to such a distant place. Very happy.

2bigears

« Reply #511 on: 20 Oct 2018, 12:13 am »
 :D how do you get hold of this guy ?  I emailed three times no reply ?  :D

mresseguie

• Volunteer
« Reply #512 on: 20 Oct 2018, 04:52 am »
Hello, costa49.

Congratulations on your new D Sachs gear.   :banana piano: :violin: :beer: :thankyou:

I can say from firsthand experience that I understand your joy and pride of ownership. I've had my preamp for 2 1/2 years and my Kootenay 120 for 1 1/2 years, and I love them! The DS 2 and the Kootenay 120 are the best preamp/amp I've ever owned.  :thumb:

Michael
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2018, 05:38 pm by mresseguie »

A_shah

« Reply #513 on: 20 Oct 2018, 05:28 pm »
I am from Brazil and received my Don Sachs II with Shuguang treasure 181-Z and 2 different exits, one of them with 3.0 cap recommended to my Accuphase P-6100 (20 Kohms out). What I can say is that I am simply loving it. Spectacular timbre, with great bass and mid / treble sweets, which are making me listen to music for hours without fatigue. Despite the difficulty I had in importing him to such a distant place. Very happy.

Congratulations ! DS 2 is the only pre-amp I use , yes it is non fatiguing , I also find that when I feed it  DS- 2 through my PS Audio Directstream DAC Via Xlr , which I believe converts the signal to 10XDSD level  not only the sound is sweet but it seems as if the musicians are floating around Mid -air right between the speakers and my listening position which is 14 feet away ,  If I close my eyes I can practically tell where the musician and and the instruments are placed, this just not my opinion but those friends who have come to my house and listen to the system are awe struck and this is all with minimum room treatment , but I do have a good room dimensions for listening
good luck with your DS 2  :thumb:

Asghar

BRN

« Reply #514 on: 22 Oct 2018, 03:21 pm »
I just finished my VTA SP14. It only took me 11 months. I think this is the longest it has ever taken me to build something from beginning to end. Having a young kid takes most of my time at home.

I have not had a chance to let it break in, but my initial listening this preamp sounds very good, to say the least.

The inspiration of the design, as you can plainly see, is the Don Sachs DS preamp. The chassis is from Landfall Systems. I installed film caps in the power supply and used Audyn True Copper cap 1.0uF on one of the outputs. I bought the True Copper caps for another project, but they were to big to fit. The switch is a Greyhill. I did not install a tape monitor. I did use the eBay DACT volume controls, that I have used in the pasts because I find them to be a great bang for the buck.

mresseguie

• Volunteer
« Reply #515 on: 22 Oct 2018, 03:41 pm »
BRN,

Congratulations on your new preamp!

I've often wondered about trying my hand at the VTA kits - (In your opinion) How difficult is it for the DIY newbie with unimpressive soldering skills?

How do you like the case? Is it solid enough for you (subjective opinion, of course)?

Thanks for posting pics!

Michael
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2018, 09:56 pm by mresseguie »

BRN

« Reply #516 on: 22 Oct 2018, 04:07 pm »
Michael,

If I was new to building I would buy the kit from Roy. The board is designed and all the markings on the tube side and the chassis that comes with it is designed for it to site inside the chassis. It makes it easier for a new builder. If you practice soldering it should not be a problem. You just need to make sure you heat both the part and PCB your solding it to. You start with soldering the lowest parts first and work your way up. The instructions are not bad you should read through them a couple of times, and there is a lot of additional information on the website.

The Landfall chassis are very solid 1/8" aluminum. I have used them in a couple of projects and Dave is great to work with.

Brad

Pryso

« Reply #517 on: 22 Oct 2018, 08:27 pm »
Michael,

"How difficult is it for the DIY newbie with unimpressive soldering skills?"

If this encourages you to give it a try, several decades ago I built my first stereo from kits, with no electronics or soldering experience.  Those were the well known Dynakit ST-70, PAS-3, and FM-3.  I practiced soldering first with a few scraps of wire until I was comfortable with the process.  The key to avoiding a cold solder joint is to heat the metal to be joined, then apply the solder.  Fortunately you can now find tutorial videos online.  Also I was very methodical and read every step of the instructions twice, then check it off as completed.  The result was everything worked.  A few years later I'd finished college and my first job was within the metro Philadelphia area.  So I took all three components to the Dynaco factory to be checked out.  I was pleased to find they only touched up a couple of solder connections but pronounced everything to be working as designed.

Because of the online information I imagine building a first kit should be easier today then when I did mine.  Go for it.  :thumb:

richidoo

« Reply #518 on: 22 Oct 2018, 09:38 pm »
I just finished my VTA SP14.

That looks sweet!  :thumb:

gab

« Reply #519 on: 28 Oct 2018, 09:20 pm »
Michael,

If I was new to building I would buy the kit from Roy. The board is designed and all the markings on the tube side and the chassis that comes with it is designed for it to site inside the chassis. It makes it easier for a new builder. If you practice soldering it should not be a problem. You just need to make sure you heat both the part and PCB your solding it to. You start with soldering the lowest parts first and work your way up. The instructions are not bad you should read through them a couple of times, and there is a lot of additional information on the website.

The Landfall chassis are very solid 1/8" aluminum. I have used them in a couple of projects and Dave is great to work with.

Brad

Brad - did Landfall make you a clone of the VTA chassis including all the cutouts or did you do that work yourself using their stock chassis? Looks really nice! Congrats. :thumb:

gab