Don Sachs SP14 Tube Preamp Review

sfox7076

Re: Don Sachs SP14 Tube Preamp Review
« Reply #80 on: 1 Dec 2016, 01:11 am »
Have you ever considered doing an LCR phono stage?

rtorne

« Reply #81 on: 5 Dec 2016, 06:41 pm »
Hi everyone
the SP14 is a great preamp with all the beauty that tubes offer and without any hum or noise at all, specially for females voices and strings it is the best I have heard. I could listen to Tracy Chapman, Nina Simone, Adelle and Tina all night long.
I just wanted to say (hope I am not violating any rule here because I am selling my SP14) that after trying different ouput caps I decided to stay with the russian PIOs supplied by Roy. Pricewise it was the best choice. If you can afford the expensive Mundorf and Duelund go for them, but the difference is very very subtle.
Just my 2 cents.
Regards

Steve

« Reply #82 on: 6 Feb 2017, 03:28 am »
I personally like and appreciate the advantages of dual volume controls, but I thought everyone hated dual manual left and right volume controls?

Cheers

Steve

JakeJ

« Reply #83 on: 6 Feb 2017, 05:00 am »
I don't but from an engineering standpoint it's pretty much impossible to do dual mono and have a remote, yes?

richidoo

« Reply #84 on: 6 Feb 2017, 05:01 am »
Congrats on the new twist Don! I want one real bad!  :thumb:

....that is unless you put dual volume controls on it... ;)

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #85 on: 6 Feb 2017, 10:55 am »
Yup, Tom Christiansen's i.e. Neurochrome Audio's Maida regulator is the real deal. I use them in my KT120 build. Top it off with some of K&K's cascode constant current sources for the tubes and you are ready to go.

Best,
Anand.

« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2017, 03:19 am by poseidonsvoice »

Steve

« Reply #86 on: 6 Feb 2017, 01:54 pm »
I don't but from an engineering standpoint it's pretty much impossible to do dual mono and have a remote, yes?

I agree, it would probably be messy. Maybe two different remotes, or a single remote using the balance buttons ("code") for one channels volume control. I personally use two manual controls and glad to see the designer uses such.

Cheers

Steve
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2017, 03:56 am by Steve »

dls123

• Restricted
    • Citation Restoration
« Reply #87 on: 7 Feb 2017, 04:23 pm »
Hi
Actually, my dual mono Khozmo remote unit has two remote 50K mono Khozmos that are linked on one remote.  They go up and down in unison, but you can unlink them, move one or the other up or down independently, and then re-link them.  Works like a charm, so that you get balance and volume all in one.  There is really only one resistor in the signal path on each channel at any one time.

cheers,
Don

dls123

• Restricted
    • Citation Restoration
« Reply #88 on: 7 Feb 2017, 04:26 pm »
Yup, Tom Christiansen's i.e. Neurochrome Audio's Maida regulator is the real deal. I use them in my KT120 build. Top it off with some of K&K's cascade constant current sources for the tubes and you are ready to go.

Best,
Anand.

Hi
Pretty much what I do in my amp!  One of Tom's boards on each channel and the driver tubes each have a CCS on the tail.....  Sounds incredible.

JakeJ

« Reply #89 on: 9 Feb 2017, 12:09 am »
Hi
Actually, my dual mono Khozmo remote unit has two remote 50K mono Khozmos that are linked on one remote.  They go up and down in unison, but you can unlink them, move one or the other up or down independently, and then re-link them.  Works like a charm, so that you get balance and volume all in one.  There is really only one resistor in the signal path on each channel at any one time.

cheers,
Don

Now that's pretty neat!

Steve

« Reply #90 on: 9 Feb 2017, 04:13 am »
Hi

cheers,
Don

Don, do you have any specs on the pots/website as I cannot find them. I ask because over the decades I have found at least moderate inconsistencies and variations from the A taper and from pot to pot. I take it these controls are much more consistent from pot to pot, custom order? What are their prices. Just asking Don.

Cheers

Steve
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2017, 12:37 pm by Steve »

JakeJ

« Reply #91 on: 9 Feb 2017, 03:34 pm »
Steve,

Did you find this? http://www.khozmo.com/

Steve

« Reply #92 on: 10 Feb 2017, 12:41 am »
Steve,

Did you find this? http://www.khozmo.com/

Ok; so it is not a continuously variable pot but a stepped attenuator. No wonder I could not find it.  :lol:

Cheers

Steve

Pryso

« Reply #93 on: 15 Feb 2017, 08:39 pm »
For anyone considering one of Don's SP14s but holding concerns because he is not a major manufacturer, let me share my experience.

First of all, when I contacted him with questions after my initial interest I was pleased by his quick response and straight-forward answers.  Once I decided to place an order he was most helpful in helping me decide which exact version I wanted.

Delivery was right on time and I've been delighted with the appearance, functionality, and most of all, the sonics of my unit.

Break in progressed smoothly and my admiration for his SP14 only grew as I added to the play time.  Then the unthinkable happened, my unit developed a problem.  Don was puzzled since he had not experienced other failures or problems but he was completely professional in addressing mine.  As his warranty implies, he covered everything.  Fortunately it turned out to be something very minor which was easily repaired.  I installed it back in my system yesterday and again it sounds wonderful.

So I suppose the laws of average determined that one of his units would develop a problem and that turned out to be mine.  But he stood behind the unit just as promised.  I would not hesitate to continue to recommend his SP14 to anyone with a budget close to $2K shopping for a line stage.  As the Brits might say, "it punches well above its weight".

mhr

« Reply #94 on: 16 Apr 2017, 07:22 pm »
Hi Don,

Which resistors are you using in your 64 step Khozmo attenuators?

Also, did the dual mono attenuators come with two level displays or was an additional one ordered.

Finally, was there any special that needed to be done with your remote to facilitate slaved mode and unslaved mode?

Thanks,

MHR

jvinhj240

« Reply #95 on: 28 Apr 2017, 07:50 pm »
mhr, its faster if you email directly. 

Also, Don also told me to get Bendix 5852 recifier. I just put it on today .  W0W,  I think this is a must for this pre-amp.  Currently I only have 2 Shangung but ordering 2 more. 

This is the link I bought from , if he is out of stock you can ask him in PM.  I pay directly save some $ :))))).  No, I am not advertise for him.  Just want to help anyone want to know what I bought but you can just search Bendix 5852 . it will come up.

ENJOY>>>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322491275335?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

mresseguie

• Volunteer
  • D Sachs amp/pre + Daedalus Audio Speakers = HEAVEN
« Reply #96 on: 28 Apr 2017, 08:26 pm »
mhr, its faster if you email directly. 

Also, Don also told me to get Bendix 5852 recifier. I just put it on today .  W0W,  I think this is a must for this pre-amp.  Currently I only have 2 Shangung but ordering 2 more. 

ENJOY>>>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322491275335?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

By 'Shangung' to you mean 'Shuguang' tubes?

jvinhj240

« Reply #97 on: 28 Apr 2017, 08:32 pm »
Yes , sorry my bad spelling .   Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z  , this one.

datman

« Reply #98 on: 28 Apr 2017, 09:02 pm »
I received my SP14 from Don in March.

I had mine equipped with the remote 64 step dual mono Khozmo attenuators and a quad of Shuguang CV-181-Z. To say this preamp is outstanding is the epitome of understatement.  As near as I can tell, it has NO sound of its own. It is neutral, detailed, has fantastic bass and is as transparent as all get out. I love the dual output level meters. I feel pretty certain that I am through preamp hunting for awhile.

My next acquisition will be one of Don's amps. He and I have been going back and forth about output tubes--Shuguang Treasure or Psvane-TII. I will make a decision and have the amp built in the next month or so. 

bummrush

« Reply #99 on: 28 Apr 2017, 10:41 pm »
Ganged volume