New X-Otica coming soon.

Danny Richie

Re: New X-Otica coming soon.
« Reply #100 on: 17 Dec 2015, 11:44 pm »
Danny, any guess on what the sensitivity would be for just the MTM section?

Right at 93db.

AKLegal

« Reply #101 on: 22 Dec 2015, 05:24 pm »
Well, those NQ's are really made for OB so what about an OB MTM  to sit on either stands or on top of ones subs....

I'd have suggested a MMTMM but I don't think the Peerless tweeter will play low enough   for the spacing required .....
-jay

How deep are the side wings here?  They look to be about 10 inches or so.  I know they have to be 14 inches deep for the lower four woofers in the floorstanding version but they have to play a lot lower. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #102 on: 22 Dec 2015, 05:43 pm »
How deep are the side wings here?  They look to be about 10 inches or so.  I know they have to be 14 inches deep for the lower four woofers in the floorstanding version but they have to play a lot lower.

I  "drew" those in at 14" and 2"  on the outside.....  I think  you'll still want that inner wing  wide to  get  some  bass out of the NQ's.

That baffle is 21.5 tall,  (6 " to the center of the lower woofer, 11.5 to the  tweeter center, and  17" to the center of the top woofer) x 8.5" wide
Note, these have not been made up and sent to Danny for testing at this point

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #103 on: 22 Dec 2015, 06:44 pm »
I  "drew" those in at 14" and 2"  on the outside.....  I think  you'll still want that inner wing  wide to  get  some  bass out of the NQ's.

That baffle is 21.5 tall,  (6 " to the center of the lower woofer, 11.5 to the  tweeter center, and  17" to the center of the top woofer) x 8.5" wide
Note, these have not been made up and sent to Danny for testing at this point

jay

I did measure the top section only and design a network for it only. So not a problem.

Captainhemo

« Reply #104 on: 22 Dec 2015, 07:08 pm »
I did measure the top section only and design a network for it only. So not a problem.

Right, forgot about that and I beleive Peter's PT's  had a 14" and 2" wing  right ?

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #105 on: 22 Dec 2015, 07:44 pm »
Right, forgot about that and I beleive Peter's PT's  had a 14" and 2" wing  right ?

jay

Yep.

yarf

« Reply #106 on: 19 Jan 2016, 09:19 pm »
Been lurking here for a while, soaking up perhaps just a little of the abundant knowledge shared by Danny and many others. Those little 'wedgies' were first to beckon me toward the world of open-baffle, yet this new x-otica probably fits the bill better for my purposes.

I have a question, though, and I hope it's not considered rude to ask such a thing here: not having the tools nor perhaps necessary skills to make a great job of these at home, does anyone have a feel for how the x-otica might compare with something prebuilt, such as the Spatial Hologram M4? Different approaches to open-baffle, yet perhaps they have some degree of that x-otica magic Danny mentioned?

Much appreciated
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2016, 02:13 am by yarf »

Danny Richie

« Reply #107 on: 21 Jan 2016, 02:56 am »
I have a question, though, and I hope it's not considered rude to ask such a thing here: not having the tools nor perhaps necessary skills to make a great job of these at home, does anyone have a feel for how the x-otica might compare with something prebuilt, such as the Spatial Hologram M4? Different approaches to open-baffle, yet perhaps they have some degree of that x-otica magic Danny mentioned?

Much appreciated

I wouldn't say the two models were very comparable. They have really different driver typologies and quality levels.

I think you guys will be real surprised at the performance level of the X-Otica's. I feel comfortable with comparisons to speakers well into the five or even six figure range.

yarf

« Reply #108 on: 22 Jan 2016, 02:18 am »
I wouldn't say the two models were very comparable. They have really different driver typologies and quality levels.

Thanks Danny; much appreciated

Lev

« Reply #109 on: 2 Aug 2020, 12:55 pm »

I think you guys will be real surprised at the performance level of the X-Otica's. I feel comfortable with comparisons to speakers well into the five or even six figure range.

Hi Danny,

I'm new to the audiophile community and I'm not a tech person but after weeks of online research I willingly followed the recommendation of Ron of New Record Day and am interested in buying NX-Otica. I apologize in advance for offensively square questions.

As the speakers have to be assembled with big accuracy, are there clear detailed assembly instructions?

Do I need to buy any additional assembly tools/materials? I understand the speakers' cabinets have to be glued, so where can I get the glue and do I need special tools for gluing them properly?

Last one for now, as they are open cabinet speakers, how do I dust them - vacuum cleaner?

Still another one, I live in the center of Israel, what are the approximate/exact shipment costs?

Thank you for your time!
Lev

Lev

« Reply #110 on: 2 Aug 2020, 08:21 pm »
Hi Danny,

I'm new to the audiophile community and I'm not a tech person but after weeks of online research I willingly followed the recommendation of Ron of New Record Day and am interested in buying NX-Otica. I apologize in advance for offensively square questions.

As the speakers have to be assembled with big accuracy, are there clear detailed assembly instructions?

Do I need to buy any additional assembly tools/materials? I understand the speakers' cabinets have to be glued, so what kind of glue do I need and where can I get the glue?

I live in the center of Israel, Zipcode 5235418, what are the approximate/exact shipment costs?

Today I wrote in the comment section to your video on the crossover for X-LS Encore, "I'm a totally non-tech person. Unless I can have a step by step close-up photos sequence as to how to assemble the crossover, I won't do it. Is it possible to get such a 'dummies' instruction?" as a follow-up question to this comment, is there a way to have a tech-assistance company you work with to assemble that and ship it to me? If yes, what are their cost for assembling these ones?

And the last one for now, what are the costs for the same services for X-LS Encore?

Thank you for your time!!
Lev

Creative cut designs

« Reply #111 on: 3 Aug 2020, 01:36 am »
I can only imagine how great those will sound

VinceT

« Reply #112 on: 13 Aug 2020, 04:23 am »
First I heard of this model. I would assume with the evolution of the NX series, this model may have lost some steam since this thread was active over 4 years ago. Still looks like a very cool speaker.

I could see where the MTM version of the X-Oticas may play nice with the NX-Otica/Xtreme in a HT set up given you had the room to use OB as your surround speakers.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #113 on: 13 Aug 2020, 02:41 pm »
First I heard of this model. I would assume with the evolution of the NX series, this model may have lost some steam since this thread was active over 4 years ago. Still looks like a very cool speaker.

I could see where the MTM version of the X-Oticas may play nice with the NX-Otica/Xtreme in a HT set up given you had the room to use OB as your surround speakers.

I use the A/V-1RS as the surround speakers with my NX-Otica MTM/ dual H-Frame combo. They work very well together and the surrounds mount on the rear wall

VinceT

« Reply #114 on: 14 Aug 2020, 03:49 am »
I saw those before. Seems like they wouldn't load the room like normal box speakers. This room in my new house does not like boxed speakers. I did a quick search and saw this from Danny in a thread you guys were chatting on regarding the A/V-1RS:

Wall and ceiling placements are very tricky. There is a huge gain from coupling with the wall and ceiling in the lower ranges, and then at a fixed distance there is a cancellation from the reflection being out of phase with the direct output. So all of that has to be taken into consideration. So the speaker has to be lean in the bottom end. There has to be a lot of driver overlap in the cancellation area to fill that in and it has to be really strong up top to compensate for the highs being attenuated by the reflections and be being off axis.

The A/V-1 RS does all of that and produces a very accurate in room response. No other speaker will do the same in that application.

Appreciate the insight, BTW ran across some of your build threads...great work man!