Speaker port question

andycsb

Speaker port question
« on: 10 Oct 2015, 05:37 pm »
Hi Guys,

What material would be suitable to partially plug a speaker port? And where can one get it?

Thanks!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Speaker port question
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2015, 05:43 pm »
You can stuff fabric into it, foam balls or the plugs plumbers use that have expanding bodies. The last one I got from Duke / Audiokenisis...  :thumb:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2015, 05:46 pm »
straws

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2015, 10:12 am »
Socks, literally.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2015, 01:56 pm »
Make sure the socks are clean.  :wink:

I find a single sock per speaker is usually adequate. I roll it up and gently push it in. It only seems odd because it's a sock, but it works pretty darned well.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2015, 02:08 pm »
The op said partially close the port.  Socks work great to almost completely seal off a port, not sure that's what is being asked.  The one sock suggestion might be closer.  Never tried the straws, which looks very effective at reducing the volume of the port.  I was thinking a thin, open cell foam plug, like the old speaker grill material.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2015, 02:26 pm »
What's the purpose, and what's the result?

andycsb

« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2015, 02:36 pm »
Thanks everyone... Really appreciate your input. My intention of partially reducing port volume is to...get the bass to go deeper. My speaker port is slotted in shape...approx 10" Long ... 2" high...12" deep. Anyone tried this with some success? What material was used? Thanks.

mresseguie

« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2015, 02:58 pm »
Andy,

Thank you for the clarification. I use the sock method either when my rear ported speakers are too close to the front wall (to reduce boominess) or when I'm playing music that has more bass than I am comfortable with (I live in a residential building) yet I still desire higher volume.

Is it 'longer port creates lower bass output'? Haven't thought about this in a while.

Michael

srb

« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2015, 03:26 pm »
I've used 1/2" thick open cell foam rolled up to partially block a slot port.  I'm not sure of the relationship between reducing airflow and equivalent port volume, but the result seems to be a bit tighter bass but with less output.

Steve
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2015, 03:22 am by srb »

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2015, 07:47 pm »
Thanks everyone... Really appreciate your input. My intention of partially reducing port volume is to...get the bass to go deeper. My speaker port is slotted in shape...approx 10" Long ... 2" high...12" deep. Anyone tried this with some success? What material was used? Thanks.

I would use a block of wood, same height and depth as the port, and vary the width to get the desired tuning.  I'd make the block slightly less than the full 2" high, and use a few wraps of electrical tape here and there to give a good enough friction fit that it doesn't rattle.   The tape probably isn't necessary unless you're playing real loud.  Might as well center the block in the existing slot port, effectively giving you two smaller ports. 

Unless you actually have excess bass energy as it now stands, you may not achieve a net benefit by lowering the tuning frequency.  What will happen is, the bass rolloff will start higher up but will be more gentle.  You won't have more bass energy; you'll just be distributing it differently.   That being said...

Personally I'm a big fan of adjusting the tuning frequency for the particular room situation, and provide that capability not only in my home audio speakers but also in my bass guitar cabs.

Here are some ballpark guidelines (real-world results may vary slightly): 

If you block off 25% of the port area (for the full depth of the port), the new tuning frequency will be .88 x the original.

If you block off 50% of the port area, the new tuning frequency will be .73 x the original.

If you block off 75% of the port area, the new tuning frequency will be .51 x the original.

So if your current tuning frequency is 40 Hz and you want to see what 30 Hz would sound like, block off about half the port area and you should be real close.

If you want to get fancy, make both ends of the block of wood shaped like the bow of a boat, for smoother airflow (raising the chuffing threshold).   Decreasing the port area will have increased the air velocity in the port, so at high SPLs chuffing might become an issue.  The tuning frequency will go back up a little bit due to the boat-shape of the wooden insert reducing the effective port length slightly. 

Reducing the volume of a port will usually tend to raise the tuning frequency, not lower it.

It's the shape of the port that matters.  A long skinny port will have a lower tuning frequency than a short wide port.   

If we reduce port length (which reduces port volume), the tuning frequency does indeed go up.

But instead if we reduce port area (which also reduces port volume), the tuning frequency goes down.

So we need to know the specifics of how the port dimensions are changed before we can say which way the tuning frequency will move.
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2015, 09:55 pm by Duke »

mresseguie

« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2015, 12:16 am »
Duke,

That's awesome information.  :thumb:

Thank you!

Michael

andycsb

« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2015, 09:45 am »
Thanks guys for chiming in! You guys rock!

@Duke...I really really appreciate you taking the time to explain things...and in such detail. I am most grateful! If I could trouble you once more...before I get some wood cut to appropriate size...do you think a towel all rolled up and shaped according to size of the slotted port would work? I intend to give it a few rounds of electrical tape to make it as reflective as possible and less absorptive. If it works in lowering the tuning freq...I would then get some wood cut to specs. I am thinking of reducing port volume by 50 percent.

Off topic question .... I am still a novice and am currently having trouble in speaker/sound evaluation.

I understand what good bass is (taut and extended) and what good hf is (smooth, extended/airy, non etched and piercing). What I am having trouble is in the mids. What constitutes "good mids" and what do I look out for?

Thanks a bunch!

mresseguie

« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2015, 10:00 am »
What has been working best for me is to go to a Cello recital (or Classical Guitar, piano, string quartet, live Jazz band, individual singer, etc.). While the sounds are still fresh in my mind, I listen to similar music on my system as soon as possible.

If I hear pretty much the same sounds, I know that my speakers (and other components) are reproducing sounds in a pretty correct way. For reference, I used to own a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 v.3 bookshelf speakers. They never reproduced music like I heard live. The highs were too bright and the mid-bass was elevated. It took me a while to begin noticing this. I didn't grow up playing an instrument and I listened to too much loud Rock in my younger years. I'm still learning, but I now much more quickly appreciate a good pair of speakers or a high quality amp than I used to.

Best luck and enjoy yourself!

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2015, 03:02 am »
Thanks guys for chiming in! You guys rock!

@Duke...I really really appreciate you taking the time to explain things...and in such detail. I am most grateful! If I could trouble you once more...before I get some wood cut to appropriate size...do you think a towel all rolled up and shaped according to size of the slotted port would work? I intend to give it a few rounds of electrical tape to make it as reflective as possible and less absorptive. If it works in lowering the tuning freq...I would then get some wood cut to specs. I am thinking of reducing port volume by 50 percent.

Thanks!

A towel will lower the tuning frequency, but will also be "lossy", so I'm not sure how representative it would be.  I think you'd lose too much impact to make a valid comparison. 

I suggest books instead, as a quick test.  If the books are wider than 50% of your port width, then compensate by not stacking them the full 2" in height.   Try to get the full depth of the port booked off though. 

andycsb

« Reply #15 on: 19 Oct 2015, 04:33 am »
@Duke...Thank you so much!