Wharfedale Evo 4.4

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Wharfedale Evo 4.4
« Reply #20 on: 7 Apr 2020, 03:45 pm »
Thanks for the reply sir, very interesting. I'm new at this but I'm starting to realize that it can be very difficult to build a system that does it all very well, even with lots of money. I may be better off having 2 dedicated systems (one for low volume listening, one for mid to high volume for example) although this seems counter intuitive at first for someone with a limited budget like me.
CCBios

My best advice is just listen to as any systems as possible, pick your speakers first and then your electronics.  Buy the best you feel comfortable spending.

Larry

maty

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jul 2020, 04:33 pm »
Thanks to bunkbail, a link:

Wharfedale Evo 4.4 crossover

YouTube https://youtu.be/CMVomg-aaCU?t=353

Optimized

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jul 2020, 07:23 pm »
There certainly is room for improvement in the crossovers.  I would definitely replace the sand resistors with Mills or Mundorf and the spirit caps with Clarity or something else.  However, the speakers sound great as they are.  Playing around with mods may ruin the sound. 

https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/wharfedale-evo-44

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #24 on: 6 Nov 2020, 08:56 pm »
We are still loving the Evo 4.4's.  Pair them with a detailed DAC, preamp and amp and they will give you plenty of high end detail without fatigue.  When I swapped the Parasound A21 amp that my son is using for the new AVA DVA225 prototype monoblocks, the speakers sound really stepped up to another level.  Detail and resolution markedly improved.  Bass became more powerful and musical and the top end was very smooth without sacrificing detai.   I do recommend using a good sub or 2 to get the to at least 25hz crossed over at about 40-45hz.

I would love to hear the Elysian's and read a few pro reviews.  There really aren't any and that makes me suspicious that they do not live up to all the hype but there a few user reviews that like them.