Time for a speaker upgrade. Need help narrowing list, $2500

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #60 on: 15 Oct 2004, 04:20 am »
Quote from: AintJoM0mma
sell me yours. lol.
Never happen.....their not going anywhere !! (except to the next rave I can attend) 8)

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #61 on: 15 Oct 2004, 04:32 am »
Wolf, I noticed you have Mirage speakers, what do you think of those?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #62 on: 15 Oct 2004, 04:43 am »
Wolf, I noticed you have Mirage speakers, what do you think of those?
Old favorites from the '80's....still sound good...but too big for my small room. Here's a pair that was listed on Agon... http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1102107576

Music Maven

« Reply #63 on: 15 Oct 2004, 04:59 am »
Hi,

I'm looking for good floorstanding speakers up to $3000, that's on another thread...

So, I'm enjoying this one too.

I wanted to ask Double Ugly who makes "Time Pieces" and are they a floorstanding speaker?

As to having a long list of possibilities, I think that's OK. In my situation, I'm not near really major cities and can't audition everything, but as I surf the internet and read the audiophile magazines various brands come across my radar and I get curious.

I think it's good to have a long list of contenders because you don't want to leave any possibility out. And the search is at least 50 percent of the fun. If you're addicted to audio, once you have your new speakers a week then you find something about their performance to be discontented about and want to go searching again, but it takes money to do it. That's where the problem arises.

Jerry

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #64 on: 15 Oct 2004, 05:34 am »
Quote from: Music Maven
Hi,

I'm looking for good floorstanding speakers up to $3000, that's on another thread...

So, I'm enjoying this one too.

I wanted to ask Double Ugly who makes "Time Pieces" and are they a floorstanding speaker?

As to having a long list of possibilities, I think that's OK. In my situation, I'm not near really major cities and can't audition everything, but as I surf the internet and read the audiophile magazines various brands come across my radar and I get curious.

I think it's good to have a  ...

SP Technology

klaus@odyssey

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.odysseyaudio.com
« Reply #65 on: 15 Oct 2004, 06:32 am »
MCrespo wrote:
Because you need to ditch the Odyssey, which while very good gear and an unbelievable value is not exactly state of the art for rock. You want to rock, I just gave you the cheap man's blue print. Anyone listening to Led Zeppelin or the Who trying to find "air" is misguided. Dude, just let the volume rip and the Naim/Neat will grab this music by the balls and move it forward so propulsively it will feel like you just got off a rollercoaster.

Say what ???????????  You say that why ??

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #66 on: 15 Oct 2004, 10:01 am »
AJM,

The internet is a wonderful source for information, but useless until your musical taste have fully developed and you've developed a trained ear.  I'm not knocking youth, but as a consumer a typical pre 25 year old is still a moving target in many ways.  An educated/intelligent ear takes years of intense listening to equipment and live music to develop.  Information (knowledge) without wisdom (intelligence) is dangerous.

You started the thread with audiophile types of wants and now you're only talking about rock music.  In many ways this is an oil and water situation.  Rock music has no gold standard, as it's always played through amps and speakers.  So nobody knows what it's supposed to "really" sound like.  Live concert rock, from an audiophile perspective is horrible.  For instance you mentioned wanting good dynamic response for rock.  Rock is perhaps the least dynamic form of music, typically being played at a rather constant, but loud level.  Classical music OTOH can be extremely dynamic as movements can go from a single flute to 100 pieces plus a huge choir.

Acoustical instruments and the live human voice are the best standards to calibrate your ear.  Small venues are the best, so you can hear each instrument/voice.

The equipment you have now is very good stuff.  Keep it for sure.  In a small/square room I'd think hard about a pair of good standmounts and adding a sub so you can dial in the proper amount of bass and move it around for best effect, separate from the main speakers.  Klaus sells very good standmounts for $600/pair.  If you're a satisfied customer, why not buy from him again?  Finding a decent sub for rock music shouldn't take much time or money.  You could do well for $1500 complete with stands.

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #67 on: 15 Oct 2004, 10:34 am »
I've stayed away from this thread, for obvious reasons, but it's sucking me in ...

JLM makes excellent points.  Rock typically exhibits a dynamic range of less than 10dB, while classical can have 20-30 dB peaks. - MUCH more demanding of good speaker 'dynamics'.

AJM, whether or not you are really young (as many here have assumed - I'm not so sure, nor do I care) certainly your tastes are evolving, as many of ours are.  To that end, exposure to a variety of flavors and styles will aid and assist you in refining and DEfining your personal taste and preferences.  Actual listening is actually required for this. (duh!)

If you have the financial headroom, let me suggest carefully buying pre-owned, and buy 2 or even 3 pairs, listen/compare, then sell off one or two. perhaps bring in another, and continue until you are happy with what you have for a while.  if you are careful/smart about purchasing/selling, it is only a cash flow issue and your net out-of-pocket can be very low (perhaps a wash).  You'll refine your tastes (perhaps even expand them), and you won't have to agonize over picking the 'perfect' pair out of the gate deaf.

Double Ugly

« Reply #68 on: 15 Oct 2004, 11:43 am »
Quote from: Music Maven

heavystarch is right...they're made by SP Technology.

And no, they aren't floorstanders.  The photo below will give you an idea of their size, but not their quality.  

I'm also in the southern US (MS).  You're welcome to contact me offline if you're close enough to stop by for a visit.

DU

lylefan

« Reply #69 on: 15 Oct 2004, 12:08 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71
OK, little boy-  you want to rock and have supreme involvement, yet you want tons of "airyness."  PRAT is the first part of this equation, which means you need an excellent leading edge, the notes body to develop, and good decay characteristics in the speaker.  A very "airy" speaker normally doesn't have the hardest hitting leading edge, so that could be a conundrum for you.

That said, if you want advice: here it is:
Sell your Odyssey, buy a Naim Nait 5, Naim CD 5, Flatcap 2, and a pair of Neat Mystique ...

Gentleman, thanks for all of the fabulous advice, now he wants to return the Stratos Dual Mono because it is not for him...

One word of advice: Beware.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #70 on: 15 Oct 2004, 12:27 pm »
Quote from: lylefan
Gentleman, thanks for all of the fabulous advice, now he wants to return the Stratos Dual Mono because it is not for him...

Last month the forum was asked for advice on interconnects for BAT gear. System listed as
Definitive Technology BP7004 speakers
BAT VK-200 2 Channel amplifier
BAT VK-20 Preamp
IXOS Gamma Speaker Wire
Toshiba 3960 CD Player

Looking for interconnects, plan to upgrade speaker cable, and maybe add a sub

audioslave

say what?
« Reply #71 on: 15 Oct 2004, 02:55 pm »
Ok, someone call CDC(center for disease control)-this thing is way out of control! :shake: AJM-you are like the proverbial leaf in the wind-swaying from one side to another with every blowing gust. I assume that your Dual Mono is still at Klaus's, right? So you have not even heard it yet!
Hold up and take a minute to think about what you are doing. You bought something, which I assume you have not even heard. So wait till the Stratos comes back from Odyssey and take the time to really listen, listen, listen. It is an excellent amp and give it a chance. See how it works with your speakers. Although you are unsure that the synergy between your amp/speakers is going to be positive, take the time to find out. If it does, you will not even need to replace your speakers. If you feel that the sound is not for you, then try to find a pair  of speakers that will work well with the Odyssey. If you truly feel compelled to sell this Dual Mono, then do what everyone here on AC or the 'Gon does.....sell and buy whatever your "flavor of the month" is at that particular pt in time.. I do not even think that it is right to return this amp to the seller. You bought it, you live with it and all the consequences. The seller(lylefan) is not obligated to accomodate you just because you have a change of heart. Welcome to the real world, little buddy! :wink:

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #72 on: 15 Oct 2004, 03:13 pm »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
Quote from: lylefan

Last month the forum was asked for advice on interconnects for BAT gear. System listed as
Definitive Technology BP7004 speakers
BAT VK-200 2 Channel amplifier
BAT VK-20 Preamp
IXOS Gamma Speaker Wire
Toshiba 3960 C ...

Yep I was going to buy some BAT gear, but the sellers deal on another amp fell through, and I never got the amp. So I decided to move on. Yes I have heard the Odyssey amp, I used my current Jolida 302b as a preamp (sold). And yeah I own Definitive Tech speakers and dont like them, which is why after hearing the B&W Nautilis 804 in a dealer I knew I had to upgrade.

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #73 on: 15 Oct 2004, 03:15 pm »
And yeah hes not obligated to accomidate me because I had a change of heart, the amp came in broken, there was a very loud humming\buzzing coming out of the left channel on my speakers. When I switched the wires in the back, the humming would move to the right channel. So I know the amp was broke, yes it is at Klauses place right now getting fixed.

audioslave

« Reply #74 on: 15 Oct 2004, 03:37 pm »
And yeah hes not obligated to accomidate me because I had a change of heart, the amp came in broken, there was a very loud humming\buzzing coming out of the left channel on my speakers. When I switched the wires in the back, the humming would move to the right channel. So I know the amp was broke, yes it is at Klauses place right now getting fixed.

The amp was most likely damaged during shipping courtesy of the asshats at UPS/Fedex, but nevertheless, Klaus will take good care of you. Wait till it comes back and give it a couple of weeks before you decide what you are going to do. Again, if the Definitives do not sound good with the Stratos, try a set of speakers that will. Make sure the Tempest is in place before you do this, though. I used my Stratos with another preamp (that brand not being a good match) and it was not great, but as soon as I got the Tempest in, it sounded much more engaging and now I am very happy with the end result.

mcrespo71

« Reply #75 on: 15 Oct 2004, 04:25 pm »
Quote from: klaus@odyssey
MCrespo wrote:
Because you need to ditch the Odyssey, which while very good gear and an unbelievable value is not exactly state of the art for rock. You want to rock, I just gave you the cheap man's blue print. Anyone listening to Led Zeppelin or the Who trying to find "air" is misguided. Dude, just let the volume rip and the Naim/Neat will grab this music by the balls and move it forward so propulsively it will feel like you just got off a rollercoaster.

Say what ???????????  You say that why ??

Seems like I've stirred a hornets nest here, but it's just MY OPINION and I stand by it.  First, I think all components may be judged on a continuum for how they handle different types of music.  Obviously, any gear will play any type of music- it's just how well it does it.  For example, I didn't recommend anything I own because it is too balanced for someone that listens to rock.  I own VTL and CJ tubed electronics and here is how I would personally rate them for rock- maybe 6 out of 10.  Jazz/Classical/Vocals- 8 out of 10.  I'd say the Odyssey gear I've heard- and I've heard the Stratos/Tempest combination numerous times- I'd give a 7 out of 10 on rock/jazz/classical and maybe 6 out of 10 for vocals.  Extremely well balanced- and as I stated very good gear.

Naim-particular the entry level 5 series stuff, IMO, is state of the art at rock- 10 out of 10 IMO.  Probably a 5 out of 10 on classical and vocals and  7 out of 10 for jazz- not as balanced, but if you listen only to rock, then it will make you very happy.  Everyone wants to believe their gear can do everything perfectly, but I don't that is the case.  You maximize your gear to the music you listen to.  For example, I have a friend that spent A LOT of $ maximizing his system with expensive tube gear and electrostats, so it could play the vocals and acoustic music at a 10 out of 10.  It ain't too good for rock, but he doesn't care- he doesn't listen to it.

As for AintJomama trying to return the Odyssey to Lylefan.  I don't believe you need to accept a return for a change of heart.  If the gear is damaged, have UPS deal with that and it sounds like it's being taken care of.

Michael

Zero

« Reply #76 on: 15 Oct 2004, 05:35 pm »
Most of you gentlemen are now beginning to see the forest for the tree's.  

Lets all pretend that someone approaches you about putting together a good audio system.  They have a pretty good idea of what type of sound they are looking for, but really don't have any experience or a fine tuned ear to truthfully relate to you *exactly* what they want.  This person is not looking for an education and nor do they want to hear that product A is as good as product B.  They don't understand audio and potentially never will -  all they want is an answer and a solution.

AJM,

No one person (that is not a well experienced audio veteran or long established audio dealer) has experience with the entire list of equipment you present before audio forums. There will be those few who claim to have done so, hopefully you will have the common sense to detect their bullshit.

Your attitude in this thread also sucks.  These people are not obligated to participate in this thread and you should respect that. Many people and many forums have given up assisting you partly due to the attitude you give them when people try to assist you.  Whether you like the advice is a moot point, it is freely given to you out of good will.

Opinions about equipment will always differ.  One man will give individual equipment or combinations praise while another will be directly in contrast.  Your approach is wrong.  Instead of creating a long list of hi-fi equipment, it would be more prudent to simply state your tastes, previous gear owned, budget, and then go from there.  Usually for each response, you get a different suggestion. This is where product knowledge and experience comes into play.  For someone as new and inexperienced as yourself, narrowing down a list of gear you have never even laid your eyes on is flat out wrong.

At the rate you are going, you will never find happiness.  A week ago you were loving the Def Techs and swearing by their sound.  This week you want to ditch them as quickly as possible.  You hook up the Odyssey, which needs repairs – for all of a few minutes.  You then decide in that short period of time, using the Jolida as a pre, that its not for you.  Hard to determine given such a short period of time, especially if you now don’t even like your speakers? So how do you know you like it again ?!?!?

Get your butt out and listen to as much gear as possible, even if its in the same store and the same equipment.  My words may be harsh but they also yield truth.  Later on I will search for dealers in your area.  I know there are quite a few south of you that sport some incredible equipment that falls within your budget.  Speaking of which, the way your budget increases could single handedly raise the national economy level.  Why don’t you wait until you have between 10 (your half way there already) – 15 grand to spend on a system.  At which point, nearly anything you choose will be pretty damned good.

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #77 on: 15 Oct 2004, 05:42 pm »
I wasent trying to be competitive with peoples advice, I just simply want them to back up what they say with some info. So far this place has been VERY helpful and ive narrowed down my list to about 10 speakers which I can try to audition.

On a different note, I dont think I want those SP Techs, I was really looking for a floorstander. Totem and Dynaudio appeal to me the most, Im strongly thinking of getting one of those 2 brands.

Zero

« Reply #78 on: 15 Oct 2004, 05:49 pm »
AJM,

I edited my post.  Please take the time to re-read.

Dynaudio and Totem are incredibly versitile speakers.  You wont find too many people who are dis-satisfied with their products from the likes of those companies.  They can serve your desire to rock out now, and still maintain truthful integrity for when/if your tastes change (mature).

Mad DOg

« Reply #79 on: 15 Oct 2004, 06:06 pm »
I wasent trying to be competitive with peoples advice, I just simply want them to back up what they say with some info. So far this place has been VERY helpful and ive narrowed down my list to about 10 speakers which I can try to audition.

On a different note, I dont think I want those SP Techs, I was really looking for a floorstander. Totem and Dynaudio appeal to me the most, Im strongly thinking of getting one of those 2 brands.

he meant combative, not competitive...if you want folks to provide backup for what they say, you need to do the same. otherwise you're being hypocritical.

now that you've decided that you're really looking for a floorstander...have you forgotten how small your room is?  :?:  :?