Time for a speaker upgrade. Need help narrowing list, $2500

nathanm

« Reply #40 on: 14 Oct 2004, 02:08 am »
Don't buy ANY of those speakers aintjomomma!  What happens is that you keep spending more and more money on audio gear and next thing you know your idea of a good time becomes reading text written by someone else describing sound which only they can hear.  Then it gets worse, then you start writing your own text about sound which nobody else can hear.  If you're lucky you'll get a bunch of other people over and all hear the same thing.  This is good.  But then you'll all go off and write more text describing what everyone else who wasn't there didn't have a chance to hear.  Heck, years later you might even start a magazine with lots of text about sound that nobody else but the writer can hear.  Now I ask you, does this make any damn sense at all?

I recommend stamp collecting.

mcrespo71

« Reply #41 on: 14 Oct 2004, 02:08 am »
OK, little boy-  you want to rock and have supreme involvement, yet you want tons of "airyness."  PRAT is the first part of this equation, which means you need an excellent leading edge, the notes body to develop, and good decay characteristics in the speaker.  A very "airy" speaker normally doesn't have the hardest hitting leading edge, so that could be a conundrum for you.

That said, if you want advice: here it is:
Sell your Odyssey, buy a Naim Nait 5, Naim CD 5, Flatcap 2, and a pair of Neat Mystiques.  Then you can go ROCK out!  Nothing else on your list will touch the Neats for PRAT- I've heard most, but not all of your choices.  You think you want "air," but if you are listening to Tool, Korn, Blink 182, Interpol, etc.- you don't need no F****** air!

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #42 on: 14 Oct 2004, 02:12 am »
?? Why

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #43 on: 14 Oct 2004, 02:17 am »
Quote from: AintJoM0mma
?? Why
Who...

mcrespo71

« Reply #44 on: 14 Oct 2004, 02:20 am »
?? Why

Because you need to ditch the Odyssey, which while very good gear and an unbelievable value is not exactly state of the art for rock.  You want to rock, I just gave you the cheap man's blue print.  Anyone listening to Led Zeppelin or the Who trying to find "air" is misguided.  Dude, just let the volume rip and the Naim/Neat will grab this music by the balls and move it forward so propulsively it will feel like you just got off a rollercoaster.

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #45 on: 14 Oct 2004, 02:24 am »
Well thats not an option right now, so I need a speaker that can rock, I hear totem and dynaudio can.

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #46 on: 14 Oct 2004, 02:26 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
?? Why
Who...

You, why that speaker?

mcrespo71

« Reply #47 on: 14 Oct 2004, 02:29 am »
Well thats not an option right now, so I need a speaker that can rock, I hear totem and dynaudio can.

Dude, if you had done more research and listened to more amps, you would own Naim gear.  Now you need to buy a rocking speaker ?  Due diligence my young man.

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #48 on: 14 Oct 2004, 02:31 am »
Yep, I will buy a Naim CDP. Soon a Naim amp and preamp. But for now im stuck with Odyssey. And a list of speakers....

lonewolfny42

« Reply #49 on: 14 Oct 2004, 02:37 am »
?? Why
Who...

You, why that speaker?
First off...its half price. Price new is over $4,000.00. Owner is moving up the line...the SP Tech line.
    This speaker sounds excellent on many types of music...and if you rock out...this speaker will not fold up. It does like a lot of watts. Its well built, weight is about 65 lbs. ....strong stand needed. Go over to the SP Tech circle, click on their site, and read about it.[/list:u]
      If you read any of the RMAF threads....many posted about the sound in the SP Tech room. You have to do a little reading....reviews on AC and AA. Check it out. At the Agon price....its a steal 8) !!![/list:u]

mcrespo71

« Reply #50 on: 14 Oct 2004, 03:37 am »
Since Chris is a true rock n roller, I'd listen to what he has to say.  Anyone that rocks out to the NY Dolls and the Ramones is A-OK with me!

Michael

lonewolfny42

« Reply #51 on: 14 Oct 2004, 04:18 am »
Quote from: mcrespo71
Since Chris is a true rock n roller, I'd listen to what he has to say.  Anyone that rocks out to the NY Dolls and the Ramones is A-OK with me!

Michael
Yeah....but I also enjoy....jazz and classical.....well rounded....and neat :lol:

Double Ugly

« Reply #52 on: 14 Oct 2004, 05:11 am »
At the Agon price....its a steal 8) !!!

You got that right.  As the proud owner of Timepieces, I can assure you that if you feed it well (good, powerful amps  + good ancillary equipment) you will be richly rewarded.

The down side, though, is the "good" part.  The speakers are very revealing, and do not afford one the fiscal luxury of skimping anywhere in the system.  The "good" is a requirement with SP Tech speakers.  That's not to say you need $20k amps or $10k cables, but the improvements I've heard after upgrading components and cables are so apparent.  

Pull the trigger.  Speakers that good should not be priced that low.

DU

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #53 on: 14 Oct 2004, 08:21 pm »
My list is down to:
-Dynaudio Contour 2.8\3.0
-Totem Forest\Hawk\Staff\Mani 2
-Neat
-Silverline Sonata II  
-Anthony Gallo Refrence III
-ATC SCM20SL\SCM35
-Tyler Acoustics Taylo 7U
-Sp Technology
-Living Voice
-Rega R9

gitarretyp

« Reply #54 on: 15 Oct 2004, 12:39 am »
If you haven't dug much through the fourms yet, you might not have noticed, but i posted a similar question a couple of weeks ago with somewhat similar choices. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=13177&highlight=

I ended up with usher cp-6311s, and i'm quite happy with them. I think they might be too strong in the bass for your room, however. I know you probably don't want to add anything to your list, but you might want to check them out if you have a dealer near-by.

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #55 on: 15 Oct 2004, 02:55 am »
Thanks for the suggestion, I added them to my list.  :)

Dennis M. Clark

2500 speaker upgrade
« Reply #56 on: 15 Oct 2004, 03:32 am »
:nono: Let it rest!  Ain'tjomomma.   Figure it out on your own.  Let the attention be placed on the music.  Not your internet fantasies!  Regards  Dennis M. Clark

byteme

« Reply #57 on: 15 Oct 2004, 03:54 am »
My list is down to:
-Dynaudio Contour 2.8\3.0
-Totem Forest\Hawk\Staff\Mani 2
-Neat
-Silverline Sonata II  
-Anthony Gallo Refrence III
-ATC SCM20SL\SCM35
-Tyler Acoustics Taylo 7U
-Sp Technology
-Living Voice
-Rega R9

How the F is a list "down" to 15 different choices when it started at 4 in another thread!??!   :roll:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #58 on: 15 Oct 2004, 04:03 am »
Get the SP Tech's before their gone :hyper: .....unless you have over four grand for new ones.$$$$$$$$

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #59 on: 15 Oct 2004, 04:11 am »
sell me yours. lol.