Time for a speaker upgrade. Need help narrowing list, $2500

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #140 on: 17 Oct 2004, 05:33 am »
Quote from: AintJoM0mma
Thing is there are basically no dealers around me that carry the speakers on my list, probably because most of them are from the UK. So im going to buy it by research, if I like it ill keep it, if not ill sell it. Im trying to narrow the chances of me not liking it. And yeah I have been taking note of peoples suggestions even if it seems like I havent been. This thread has helped me a REALLY lot despite all the insults, and I thank everyone who has posted in it.   :roll:

not sure where yure located, but most of the brands mentioned are readily awailable in the usa.  look up the company's, find the distributors & dealers...    or, go to an audio show where there are loads of brands in one place.  dealer showrooms & audio shows can only give an idea of what ya mite like in yer own room, tho, so buying used is still always a good idea, imo...

re: the recent speakers ya inquired about, there's *lotsa* stuff been written about 'em, both by reviewers & by the audiophile community.  look it up on the web & on audio asylum, as well as here.  sometimes, it's yust good to read, w/o asking questions, until ya have things better narrowed down in yer own mind, about what ya *think* ya mite like...   :wink:

good luck,

doug s.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #141 on: 17 Oct 2004, 05:40 am »
Maybe start small and work your way up....then you will know what your room will handle.

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #142 on: 17 Oct 2004, 05:44 am »
One speaker im really skeptical about is the Anthony Gallo Refrence III. The 3" drivers dont seem like they could rock like no tommrow. I might be wrong, anyone heard these?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #143 on: 17 Oct 2004, 05:50 am »
One speaker im really skeptical about is the Anthony Gallo Refrence III. The 3" drivers dont seem like they could rock like no tommrow. I might be wrong, anyone heard these?

even if they *could* rock (dunno if they can or not), i'd stay away from speakers w/such a wide dispersion pattern in such a small room...

doug s.

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #144 on: 17 Oct 2004, 05:53 am »
They are tricky, I hear in small rooms the tweeter is not a problem, and actually works well with small rooms :) It dissolves the wall and creates no annoying echos.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #145 on: 17 Oct 2004, 06:01 am »
Quote from: doug s.

even if they *could* rock (dunno if they can or not), i'd stay away from speakers w/such a wide dispersion pattern in such a small room...

doug s.
I agree with doug...heard them at the HE2004 show...best in a larger room.

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #146 on: 17 Oct 2004, 06:03 am »
OK then, I think ill take them off the list. They have many qualities that appeal to me, but probably wont rock like a Neat.  :drums:  :guitar:  :rock:  :rock:  :singing:

mca

« Reply #147 on: 17 Oct 2004, 06:31 am »
Have you had a look at this website?

http://www.ecoustics.com

Should be able to help you out some in your quest.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #148 on: 17 Oct 2004, 06:54 am »
OK then, I think ill take them off the list. They have many qualities that appeal to me, but probably wont rock like a Neat.  :drums:  :guitar:  :rock:  :rock:  :singing:
Neat....consumer reviews..... http://ecoustics.audioreview.com/pscAudioReview/Speakers/Main+Speaker/MYSTIQUE/PRD_120255_1594crx.aspx