Found a good article on iconic amps..

BaronKyle

• The more I see, the less I know for sure.
Found a good article on iconic amps..
« on: 26 Sep 2015, 03:03 pm »
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/the-ten-most-significant-amplifiers-of-all-time/

Who owns or has owned these?

Out of this list the Phase Linear stuff looks interesting to me.  Who can tell me more about their thoughts on PL amps?

BK

electricbear

Re: Found a good article on iconic amps..
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2015, 05:22 pm »
Mike Missel could probably share a few insights on them. I know he used to have a PL when I first knew him. I'm sure he's also repaired a few over the years. We used to call them Flame Linears because of their propensity of going super nova.

mjmsound

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2015, 08:08 pm »
I still have a 700b. I use it in the basement when working on furniture and the like.
It is for ROCKING OUT! :icon_twisted:
Not too musical to me. :nono:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2015, 08:26 pm »
Phase Linear was a company from Bob Carver which design the amps.
Also it was nicked Phuzz Linear.

BaronKyle

• The more I see, the less I know for sure.
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2015, 11:06 am »
Supernova, I like it.

What about the others on this list?  Did the writers capture some greats you have been impressed with?

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2015, 03:43 pm »
Keep in mind not necessarily all the amps on the list are "greats" anymore, but were perhaps very influential on the industry in some way. Obviously there's a bit of subjectivity to the list too ; Neil Gader put the Rotel RB1090 on the list as well as the Plinius 8150. Not sure I agree with the choice of the Rotel over something like the Adcom GFA555 in terms of affordable influential powerhouse amps. The Adcom most assuredly made its way into more homes than the RB1090 and likely played a significant role in paving the way for future products from NAD, Rotel, Outlaw, Emotiva, etc. Not sure about the Plinius either. In the grand scheme, I would put the Bryston 4B on the list for bridging the gap between pro audio and home audio in a way no other amp (I can think of) has done with equal quality, reliability, or style. If one were trying to put another integrated on the list, I'd probably put the Naim NAIT on the list over the Plinius in terms of significance.

It seems Neil was intentionally trying to stray from just picking the same obvious choices as the others : NAD 3020, Dynaco ST70, Phase Linear, etc. etc. but missed the mark a bit with some of his choices....though they make for an interesting, if not somewhat controversial list.

I think the list has all the major influential designers covered though - David Hafler, Bob Carver, Saul Marantz, John Curl, Nelson Pass, James Bongiorno, Gordon Gow, etc (I'm sure I've missed a couple more greats, many of whom were "students" of those listed)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2015, 04:43 pm »
I think the list has all the major influential designers covered though - David Hafler, Bob Carver, Saul Marantz, John Curl, Nelson Pass, James Bongiorno, Gordon Gow, etc (I'm sure I've missed a couple more greats, many of whom were "students" of those listed)
All these brands where TAS advertisers in the past.

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2015, 04:07 pm »
FRM, I understand the whole conspiracy theory (advertising $ vs sonic/technical merit, thanks to Bose), but the list is almost entirely comprised of amps no longer in production. This is a recent list. The manufacturers aren't making money on the used market, so what is the point of saying that these companies spent advertising dollars in Absolute Sound? That's like saying Chevy paid advertising dollars to The New York Times in 1957, or Starbucks spent money on advertising on MSNBC.com in 2002. There's advertisers here on AC! There's no conspiracy. It is what it is : Marketing and advertising. Business is business. I don't buy into the idea that Pass, Hafler, Curl paid for positive reviews. Do you believe that all the people around the world who bought Dynaco ST70's and NAD 3020's are sheep or do you think these products legitimately hold their place in history on their own merit?

Sorry for further derailing the thread, but if one can't read an article and take the info for face value (ESPECIALLY in this day and age), you don't need to respond. There's stuff all over the internet we all may not agree with in one way or another. Who cares? Just move along. There's no need to steer the boat into the rocks.

Blackmore

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2015, 05:34 pm »
A couple of us have the Haflers; I have a DH-200 and at least one other member uses the 200 or 220 and maybe even the XL280.  I don't think anyone still has a ST-70 but there are some tube amps around that can trace a bit of their DNA back to the ST-70 or Marantz 8.  You're welcome to hear my Hafler in your system if you want to know about them.

Mark

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2015, 06:31 pm »
I owned most of the Phase Linear stuff back in the day and had an ST-70 for a bit (got it as a steal as the guy had the amp and a preamp in his garage and told me they didn't work - about a year after getting them I took them out and the amp needed a $12.50 tube and the preamp a $0.79 bulb).  I liked them at the time.  Not sure I'd want to go back though (given the age and what mods I might think I need).