Toe-In Survey

mrvco

Re: Toe-In Survey
« Reply #20 on: 5 Nov 2015, 09:51 pm »
This has proven to be an incredibly helpful post to me! Up until now, I have been using my Super Alnico monitors with almost no toe-in at all, maybe 2 or 3° at the most, in other words, hardly anything. It occurred to me that while I was getting a very large and broad sound stage this way, things sounded a little too diffuse and the imaging was a little vague. So I tried this suggestion, starting with a rather extreme toe-in position (not being able to even see the inside cabinet walls) and then gradually rotating them out. Somewhere around a 15 to 20° of toe in, everything just snapped into focus! Low-end response tightened up, imaging got much sharper and more "substantial" and the depth of the soundstage got much bigger. Golly!

Another thing I am pleased to say is that repositioning the speakers in this way has smoothed out a bit of "hotness" on the top end that had me scratching my head. Somehow, listening a bit more on axis to those drivers evened out the frequency response.

The result is that many recordings now sound astonishingly good. I am particularly blown away by well recorded live performances, in which the sense of the venue acoustics is conveyed in a way that is spooky-real.

Happy camper, here! Sometime during the next month, by the way, I am going to post a review of the Super Alnico Monitor on my audio blog, and I will post a link here when it's live.

Thanks a lot for the help, gang.

Great to hear... maybe it wasn't all just in my head  :lol: