Best Speaker I've Owned.... Period

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
Re: Best Speaker I've Owned.... Period
« Reply #40 on: 4 Sep 2015, 07:38 pm »
Nice system, Bretson!  Thanks for your support.  Enjoy!

Bache audio

« Reply #41 on: 5 Sep 2015, 04:55 pm »
What F ?   Same size , same baffle, same holes, Why  is different cabinet get the same . Is it Clone?

Folsom

« Reply #42 on: 5 Sep 2015, 05:10 pm »

First, a question:

What do Sonus Faber, Parts Express, Rockport, VSA, Gamut and Revel have in common? 

Answer: we all use the same cabinet vendor in China to construct our lower cost product line cabinets.  Are the Parts Express cabinets as well made as the other name brands?  Well, no.  They appear to be built to a much lower price point to satisfy the DIY crowd but for the money, appear to be a value. However, the test samples we purchased years ago use a thin chipboard cabinet with a fairly low cost paint job.  They are light in weight and have quite a bit of resonance.  We do not believe that any quality manufacturer would use these to construct an expensive system.  In fact, the front baffle is chipboard and will not even accept wood screws without stripping out.

However, it is no secret that we have had cabinets built for us in China for our 2003-2006 line of budget speakers, the VR-1, VR-2, and VR-4 JR as well as the home theater center, sub and surrounds; all now discontinued. I have visited China many times over a period of ten years, looking for a high quality vendor for our monitors and found quality levels of cabinet construction from very poor to very high.  It depends on the manufacturer and their goals. Also, much higher pricing is involved if you need complete control of the materials, glue, bracing, and finishing.  For our UniField Series of monitors, we have spared no expense in having these built to our highest quality level standard.  As such, "Made In China" is about as relevant as Apple I-Phones or Apple laptops being made over there.  Great quality can be had anywhere if you have the right vendor and are willing to pay for that quality.

Our line of UniField One, Two, and Three use the same appearance of many brands on the market, including Sonus Faber and several different brands of speakers assembled in the Uk and Germany.  It is no secret that a small cabinet with rounded sides using non-parallel walls will have less internal standing waves than a rectangular cabinet.  Plus, we were inspired by the cosmetic appearance of the Sonus Faber line.

However, where we veer away from the norm is that we specify the density  and type of the fiberboard, the resin impregnation, and type of glue and bonding methods.  We also specify twice the thickness of primer and top coat for a more lustrous appearance. On the outside, all of these cabinets appear to be the same, but on the inside, they're all completely different.  Our Chinese vendor is more than happy to build exactly what the customer asks and pays for.  Nothing wrong there.

One of the posters above correctly points out that our entire UniField series is lined with our noise cancelling Triple Wall Laminate, which we install at our Riverside plant.  This technique, along with the superior build quality, results in a very stable cabinet with unmeasurable resonances at any frequency.  If you tap on the sides of a Revel or Sonus Faber cabinet, it does not come close to the stability of our design, while the Parts Express cabinet isn't any better than a $100 cabinet from Best  Buys, although it looks quite a bit better.

Albert Von Schweikert

Bache you can't tell me you're illiterate, just READ.

Bache audio

« Reply #43 on: 5 Sep 2015, 06:34 pm »
It is not true about PE cabinets, It Is very strong Thick and DONT  HAVE ANY RESONANCE, Also, if you have  limited volume ,  and  make walls thicker, i thing for this size in appropriate  it will reduce inside volume
and make bass more boomer

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?

gammajo

« Reply #45 on: 6 Sep 2015, 02:24 am »
Bretson Thanks for posting - I have a friend who is looking for a high quality speaker and with your input, the Uni 2 might just fit the bill

Folsom

« Reply #46 on: 6 Sep 2015, 02:36 am »
It is not true about PE cabinets, It Is very strong Thick and DONT  HAVE ANY RESONANCE, Also, if you have  limited volume ,  and  make walls thicker, i thing for this size in appropriate  it will reduce inside volume
and make bass more boomer

Those speakers are known for having better bass than almost anything there is in a "bookshelf" format.

I myself don't have a flipping clue how Albert managed to do anything in a space that small. Doesn't change the results any.

Honestly it seems more like you're interested in bad mouthing the speakers than discussing them. That's not a good habit to get into. You're still pretty new to making and selling, so don't put the me vs. them thing into too heavy of an effort because they've got decades of reasons and experience that you just haven't come to yet. I'm not object to you thinking it's better to use money on products from euro origins, paying skilled labor, over a perhaps better sounding yet not as finely finished product. But the shaming and accusations of plausible product faults are not the same objection to origins.

I'm sure you have positive contributions to add to the forum, as you're not new to the audio world.