Best smallish two-way speakers?

Bemopti123

Re: Best smallish two-way speakers?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jul 2015, 02:46 am »
I suppose it depends on how we define 'small'.  Here are some of my favorite 'smallish' loudspeakers:

Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo

Totem Acoustic Hawk

Totem Acoustic 'The One'

Harbeth P3ESR

Joseph Audio Pulsar

Mark and Daniel Maximus-Mini

Dali Mentor Menuet

Fritz Morel 6

I second the Harbeths.  I own a pair and for what they are, when powered appropriately, sound fantastic. 

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #21 on: 25 Jul 2015, 11:40 am »
In the 90s was the Sequerra Met7.

I owned a pair of those quite a few years ago. One of the worst speakers I've owned; absolutely lifeless.
It's hard to write an ad for a speaker you find terrible. Luckily for me I could quote Sam Tellig's over the top review and keep my opinion to myself.
As for my favorite, Revel M20.

FireGuy

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jul 2015, 11:55 am »
I have to throw in the Axiom M2V4 two way.  I have heard this monitor and compared it to the Omega RS5 driver.  Although the RS5 driver did sound better but the M2 held its own in its own right.  The Axiom M2V4 is a remarkable speaker.

Throw in the Nola Boxer 2 also.

X 2 on the Axiom M2.  "Remarkable" is a true understatement.  Extremely well balanced, neutral with a very enjoyable forward presentation.  A gem of speaker.   In many cases, competitive with other offerings at 3 X's the price.  Good call Milford3.

johzel

« Reply #23 on: 25 Jul 2015, 11:57 am »
The LSA 1 Statement Monitors . . . especially at their new internet direct pricing.

GreatDane

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jul 2015, 11:57 am »
X 2 on the Axiom M2.  "Remarkable" is a true understatement.  Extremely well balanced, neutral with a very enjoyable forward presentation.  A gem of speaker.   In many cases, competitive with other offerings at 3 X's the price.  Good call Milford3.

Interesting on the Axioms. Ever hear any of the larger ones?

FireGuy

« Reply #25 on: 25 Jul 2015, 12:28 pm »
Interesting on the Axioms. Ever hear any of the larger ones?

Yes, I have.  Was able to attend Axiom's 30th Anniversary festivity (a 2-day event) few years back.  Ian and his crew were were extremely gracious and accommodating and could not have better spent a weekend elsewhere.  Although not in a home environment,  I got the chance to hear (at the time their flagship model) M80 V3 tower.  Many similarities to the M2 since they share the same driver technology but of course with greater dynamics and presence.  If I had the space I'd consider these along with their M60's.  It's been the tweeter for me that makes these transducers excel.  Today's V4 is even better of which Bryston's line up incorporates. 

GreatDane

« Reply #26 on: 25 Jul 2015, 12:35 pm »
I've often thought that if Bryston is outsourcing their speaker building to Axiom, they must be alright.

FireGuy

« Reply #27 on: 25 Jul 2015, 12:41 pm »
I've often thought that if Bryston is outsourcing their speaker building to Axiom, they must be alright.

Bryston knows what they are doing...

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #28 on: 25 Jul 2015, 01:34 pm »
Has anyone heard either of the Fritz Be models as well as Odyssey Kismets to compare the two (three)?  I've heard the Kismets, but none of the Be models from Fritz.

Glenee

« Reply #29 on: 25 Jul 2015, 01:39 pm »
Price No Object = Sonus Faber Guaneri Memento
Middle Range = Bryston Mini T's
Low Price but not quality = Usher S-520

There you have it, this will save you a lot of time and money.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 25 Jul 2015, 01:48 pm »
I'd like to submit these 2-way "boxes".

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #31 on: 25 Jul 2015, 02:47 pm »
I'd like to submit these 2-way "boxes".

Which Vapor speakers are these Ed?  Similar Vapors I've seen aren't "smallish" (as per the title of this thread) in my book.

I heard the Napa Acoustics NA-208S ($200/pair) at Chicago Axpona, very pleasant, room filling, and quite small.

Other well respected "smallish" 2-ways that come to mind: Amphion Ion+ ($1500, typical Scandinavian traits); Neuman KH120 (active, almost the standard for small studio monitors).
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2015, 08:50 pm by JLM »

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 25 Jul 2015, 03:41 pm »
Well, I guess the Aurora are on the large side for a 2-way. These are Gophers Aurora, and I have it on good authority that these sound great. The dimensions are 10.5 x 16 x 20, so maybe they're to big for this thread?

srb

« Reply #33 on: 25 Jul 2015, 04:56 pm »
The dimensions are 10.5 x 16 x 20, so maybe they're to big for this thread?

What exactly are the size criteria?  I'll edit my list if needed.

Steve

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 25 Jul 2015, 05:40 pm »
Well, I guess the Aurora are on the large side for a 2-way. These are Gophers Aurora, and I have it on good authority that these sound great. The dimensions are 10.5 x 16 x 20, so maybe they're to big for this thread?

How big are the mid-woofs and how low do they go?  I am mostly consider limited low frequency range speakers as "smallish", like ones that go into the mid 40s.  Best one I have heard are the Raidhos (D-1 and C-1).  After listening to the Joule Black, I would love to hear the Cirrus Black and the Gopers tricked out Auroras with the AT mid-woof as well.

newzooreview

« Reply #35 on: 25 Jul 2015, 07:16 pm »

Harbeth 30.1

Transparent, neutral, revealing, wonderful imaging, excellent timbre, and very natural sounding.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #36 on: 25 Jul 2015, 09:13 pm »
Mid 40 Hz frequency response and "smallish" is tough to find together.  Efficiency will suffer.  Going powered or active design is one solution.

For instance the Amphion Ion+ I recommended above is 86 dB/w/m at 8 ohms and is 10.5" x 5.3" x 8.7" but is only rated to 50 Hz.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra One is $800/pair and another respected 2-way, 86 dB/w/m at 8 ohms and 14.3" x 7.5" x 10.5" (not quite what I would consider "smallish") is rated to 44 Hz.  (For $1500/pair you can get the ribbon tweeter version.)

When I think "smallish" I think of something that is comfortable on a desktop.  The Ion+ would be OK, but no way for the Sierra (IMO).

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 26 Jul 2015, 12:22 am »
Gophers Aurora uses the new T-Labs Beryllium dome tweeter, and the woofer is a custom spec AudioTech 8" Flex Unit. From listening impressions they sounded like they played from below 40Hz to 20KHz, and can REALLY shake the room. But the upgraded drivers make them pricey! If you want a stand speaker that will do most anything, I think that these are it! Plus, I think that the design is sweet looking. I may be biased, though, since I build these!  8)

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #38 on: 26 Jul 2015, 02:14 am »
If I were looking for the best small-ish 2 way (I interpret small-ish as stand mounted) I would try to include the Janszen zA1.1 in the comparison. Some very nice things have been said about them mentioning performance aspects I consider important, like tonality, refinement of texture and detail and relative immunity to power compression (they handle the loud bits with less sense of strain). $4995.

Also, I think it's kind of cool that the grills look like a fat exclamation mark.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #39 on: 26 Jul 2015, 03:34 am »
I'd also say the raidho monitors : the D1, C1, and X1 in descending order.(of sound quality and more dramatically of price). The X1 is the best value : your essentially getting the tweeter and mid range driver from their $180k C4 at $7k.  With a good fast sub they are pretty much full range. Very likely my next living room speaker.

4th after these for me would probably be the Jospeh Audio Pulsar. A lush and beautiful sounding speaker, particularly with tube gear.