Terminator Genisys (I hope he won't be back)

rooze

Terminator Genisys (I hope he won't be back)
« on: 9 Jul 2015, 03:29 pm »
I'm almost ashamed to admit that I went to the cinema and handed over a whopping $11 to watch this movie. My wife was out of town, I was bored, it was late....so I plonked myself down for the 9pm 3D showing in Sturgeon Bay WI, with 4 other 'lonely' people.

From the get-go I was irritated by the 3D. It just wasn't working for me at all - unnecessary effects for the sake of effects, drawing attention to themselves.

Then, I was irritated by the casting. The two guys playing Kyle Reese and John Connor were horribly mis-cast, in my humble opinion. They may each be accomplished actors, but they just seemed horribly out of place in this movie.

As the plot began to unfold I became even more irritated. A stitched-together mishmash of previous Terminators where we're dragged around the block having to endure old sequences involving old T's played by new actors, whilst hanging on to the flimsiest of plots and enduring grade school dialogue and sophomoric exchanges between the lead characters. It was embarrassing.

After an hour I got up and walked out. There's nothing that could've happened in the second hour of this dreadful movie that might have repaired the damage done in the first, so I gave up on it. I dropped my 3D spectacles in the recycling bin, dumped a pocketful of candy wrappers in the garbage can, and headed off for the hills.

Anyone else seen this movie and had a better experience with it?  :thumb:

Phil A

Re: Terminator Genisys (I hope he won't be back)
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2015, 04:24 pm »
The box office numbers also aren't great (have not seen the movie) - http://pro.boxoffice.com/statistics/movies/terminator-2015

I've passed on things (don't buy as many movies as I used to) and waited for Netflix.  Haven't been to a theater in about 3 years.

randytsuch

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2015, 05:00 pm »
Don't plan to see it

Surprisingly high audience score on rotten tomatoes
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_genisys/

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2015, 05:57 pm »
I'll watch it on Netflix. Maybe. I enjoy a good train wreck.  :lol:

I'm a little disappointed he did another one. He's getting too old to pass that character off.

rooze

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2015, 06:48 pm »
There's a review here that pretty much sums up the way I felt about it (spoiler alert) http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2015/07/is-terminator-genisys-the-worst-blockbuster-ever.html

persisting1

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2015, 07:00 pm »
I have a feeling the ticket sales would be much lower if Emilia Clarke (Khaleesi, Daenerys Targaryen) was not in the film. How well does she play Sarah Connor?

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2015, 07:03 pm »
Perhaps the next one will be called 'Terminator - The Golden Guys.' :green:

wushuliu

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2015, 07:18 pm »
Another franchise film whose only purpose is to cater to international box office - hence the Asian terminator as China box office is now stronger than U.S. Whatever money they make in the states is just gravy.

Don_S

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2015, 07:29 pm »
I'll watch it on Netflix. Maybe. I enjoy a good train wreck.  :lol:

I'm a little disappointed he did another one. He's getting too old to pass that character off.

California had a limit on how many times he could be "Governator".  :wink:

rooze

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2015, 07:39 pm »
How well does she play Sarah Connor?

I don't recall having seen this actress previously. I suppose she did OK, she looks a little like a young Linda Hamilton. But she never really stood much of a chance with such a poor script.
It was embarrassing the way they tried to account for an older Arnold by dredging up the 'living tissue over metal endoskeleton', line then pointing to the fact that the tissue 'ages'. And calling a Terminator 'Pops' was supposed to be mildly amusing but it was another real script blunder imho, it was really cringeworthy.
It was just badly done on so many levels.

Of course it's just one opinion, and as has been pointed out already, there are many who've seen it and liked it.  :|

geowak

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2015, 11:32 pm »
I'm almost ashamed to admit that I went to the cinema and handed over a whopping $11 to watch this movie. My wife was out of town, I was bored, it was late....so I plonked myself down for the 9pm 3D showing in Sturgeon Bay WI, with 4 other 'lonely' people.

From the get-go I was irritated by the 3D. It just wasn't working for me at all - unnecessary effects for the sake of effects, drawing attention to themselves.

Then, I was irritated by the casting. The two guys playing Kyle Reese and John Connor were horribly mis-cast, in my humble opinion. They may each be accomplished actors, but they just seemed horribly out of place in this movie.

As the plot began to unfold I became even more irritated. A stitched-together mishmash of previous Terminators where we're dragged around the block having to endure old sequences involving old T's played by new actors, whilst hanging on to the flimsiest of plots and enduring grade school dialogue and sophomoric exchanges between the lead characters. It was embarrassing.

After an hour I got up and walked out. There's nothing that could've happened in the second hour of this dreadful movie that might have repaired the damage done in the first, so I gave up on it. I dropped my 3D spectacles in the recycling bin, dumped a pocketful of candy wrappers in the garbage can, and headed off for the hills.

Anyone else seen this movie and had a better experience with it?  :thumb:

You "terminated" the Terminator. haha....that's funny. But hey, how long can we keep watching ahhrnold do this bit....???? and with the dragon mama from GOT as Sarah Connor. I'm not feeling it.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2015, 08:25 am »
As is often the case, I guess I'll write the dissenting opinion! :lol:  I really enjoyed it, perhaps in part because I expected so little.  I found it to be an interesting wrinkle in a stale franchise.  It actually resolves pretty neatly but probably not for long; I hear it's to be the first of a new trilogy. :?  Still, I liked it. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jul 2015, 04:00 pm »
I view the Terminator like I view the Matrix - the first movie is the only one that counts.  All the others are a pretty serious drop off from there.

Don_S

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2015, 04:45 pm »
Sounds embarrassing like the last couple Indiana Jones movies where Harrison Ford kept making lame jokes about being too old. He was right.  :(

wshuff

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2015, 04:53 pm »
I'll be the other positive voice and will say I was pleasantly surprised.  I liked it far better than T3 or that thing that made Christian Bale cuss everybody out.

rooze

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jul 2015, 04:54 pm »
I view the Terminator like I view the Matrix - the first movie is the only one that counts.  All the others are a pretty serious drop off from there.

I liked all 3 movies in the Matrix trilogy, but the first was certainly the best. Clearly two and three were valuable in completing the story and drawing it to a conclusion.

The Terminator story has been concluded, it was such at the end of the original. All they're doing is looking for 'creative' ways to cash-in on the original telling of the story by adding new twists and dimensions. Parts II and III were somewhat successful, and Salvation took it off in a slightly different direction. But Genisys is the fat and greedy farmer trying to squeeze a few more drops of milk from a dry teat. The cow's squirming, the onlookers are squirming....even the farmer has a ruddier than usual face...there's nothing more to be had. Let go of the poor sod and move on.

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jul 2015, 02:07 pm »
I must say that I found it entertaining. The storyline was an interesting twist sought of like the Star Trek reboot.  Arnold certainly added value to the movie.  Different strokes for different folks.