ida 8 and pre out gain

rodney gold

ida 8 and pre out gain
« on: 9 Jul 2015, 09:18 am »
I have ordered an IDA 8 , but the 3x gain in the pre out section worries me , I want to use the analog line level outputs as a pre .. and am worried about overloading whatever I use after it..
I assume the line level outputs track the IDA 8 volume control? IE its not a full 6v signal and adjusting the IDA 8's volume adjusts the analog outputs?

rustydoglim

Re: ida 8 and pre out gain
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2015, 07:13 pm »
I was just checking with engineering and the gain can be set at the factory or service center.
We have to replace some resistors to change the gain to 1X, 2X or 3X.
We set it at 3X since sending the pre-out to subwoofer is the most common use.
But then we realise that some people want to use it with a headphone amp - wait for the NuPrime HPA-8 (2 RCA inputs, one phono input; 3.5mm, 6.2mm, XLR and RCA outputs) and all four outputs can be driven simultaneous. This is a monster headphone amp.

Genez

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2015, 07:46 am »

At 1X?  What if one wanted to bi-amp? 

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2015, 08:25 pm »
Don't go overboard with IDA-8 like bi-amp (buying two, no no no, wait for Amp-8)

Amp-8 to be released after the summer is a 250W mono amp based on IDA-8 design. But this mono amp can be unbridged into 100W x 2 Stereo.
Why not call it a Stereo Amp with bridgeable outputs?  Because the fact that it is more powerful in mono mode, we want to emphasise and market it as a mono amp. Shocking price at $599.  We are going to leave the competition in the dust!
DAC-8 is also coming.  And the killer HPA-8 headphone amp too.

Genez

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:49 pm »
Don't go overboard with IDA-8 like bi-amp (buying two, no no no, wait for Amp-8)

Amp-8 to be released after the summer is a 250W mono amp based on IDA-8 design. But this mono amp can be unbridged into 100W x 2 Stereo.
Why not call it a Stereo Amp with bridgeable outputs?  Because the fact that it is more powerful in mono mode, we want to emphasise and market it as a mono amp. Shocking price at $599.  We are going to leave the competition in the dust!
DAC-8 is also coming.  And the killer HPA-8 headphone amp too.

:o wow!   Ok... But, it can be set to X1.  Must special order it.  Right? 

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2015, 03:15 am »
:o wow!   Ok... But, it can be set to X1.  Must special order it.  Right?

Yes, any change of the gain requires soldering work and replacement of two surface mount resistors.

rodney gold

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2015, 06:30 am »
I have no idea why you guys used 6v output , it has forced me to buy a cheap rotel pre/pro to control the volume out of the "preamp"
I use a swarm of 4 subs to destructively  drive room nodes , these are set to low levels , just cracked the volume controls...
Using the ida 8 at 6v will NOT allow me to set their volume with any precision , hence the "extra" preamp...

Bonzite51

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2015, 07:23 am »
From some point of view it looks like almost design flaw...

rodney gold

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2015, 08:33 am »
Unity gain should have been the default and 2x or 3x , the special order...

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2015, 12:58 pm »
Yes, I would only be interested in a unity gain pre out.  The 3x output seems like an over think.  I would imagine the vast majority of users would not take advantage of the feature.

mrvco

« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2015, 09:00 pm »
I'm planning on trying an IDA-8, but the 3x thing definitely gives me pause.  I've never heard of a pre-out on an integrated being set that high, but hopefully I can adjust the level down enough on my powered sub without falling out of the sub's sweet spot.

JackD

« Reply #11 on: 13 Aug 2015, 09:54 pm »
It works, but the level on the sub needs to be pretty close to minimum from my experimentation using dual subs. Might be different with just one.

mrvco

« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2015, 01:35 am »
That's my concern, at least you're getting a bit of loss when splitting the R and L outputs.  I'm wondering how detrimental a 6db attenuator would be to the sound quality over and above reducing the levels.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2015, 02:55 am by mrvco »

JackD

« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2015, 03:17 am »
Probably none in that frequency range.

rodney gold

« Reply #14 on: 14 Aug 2015, 06:06 am »
The 6v out does not allow me any leeway on volume with my 4 subs.. I did not buy the ida 8 as a one box solution merely to add another box to reduce sub level so that their volume controls have meaningful adjustment.. its a big problem and is a serious flaw. I had to use a cheap rotel pre/pro to attenuate sub/pre outs
I sold my ida 8 on because of this.. not wanting to do a solder job or use the rotel. Why reduce utility of this unit in this way.
I repeat , 6v should have been an option and 2v standard .. not vice versa .. or better still , use a dip switch arrangement or jumpers so the user can configure to suit.

mrvco

« Reply #15 on: 14 Aug 2015, 02:06 pm »
A DIP switch would be well suited to this sort of "set once and forget" application.

John Casler

« Reply #16 on: 14 Aug 2015, 07:05 pm »
I was just informed that due to, and responding to the user feedback, all the IDA-8's shipped from today will be at 1x as the default, and 2x and 3x can be ordered if desired.

I might add, that I posted in another thread of adding a 15" Velodyne to my IDA-8/B&W pairing with the current 3x and it works perfectly.

Volume on the back of the Sub is set at 100% *full" volume, and the remote read out volume is at 45db.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #17 on: 14 Aug 2015, 07:41 pm »
Awesome for me as mine hasn't shipped yet....but it will very soon.  :dance: It's looking like I may have some very special monitors to pair with my IDA-8.  8)

I've got that address for you, John.

Michael

John Casler

« Reply #18 on: 14 Aug 2015, 08:05 pm »
Awesome for me as mine hasn't shipped yet....but it will very soon.  :dance: It's looking like I may have some very special monitors to pair with my IDA-8.  8)

I've got that address for you, John.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Let me know when and where to ship, when ur ready.

Seems the IDA-8 is great with MANY different speakers.  Look forward to hearing how it mates with yours.

mrvco

« Reply #19 on: 15 Aug 2015, 02:13 am »
I was just informed that due to, and responding to the user feedback, all the IDA-8's shipped from today will be at 1x as the default, and 2x and 3x can be ordered if desired.

I might add, that I posted in another thread of adding a 15" Velodyne to my IDA-8/B&W pairing with the current 3x and it works perfectly.

Volume on the back of the Sub is set at 100% *full" volume, and the remote read out volume is at 45db.

Thanks for the update, I think that is playing it safe.  My Velodyne HGS-10 is set at ~40% now (no remote) and that's probably a little high, so tripling the input wouldn't leave me much room for adjustment.