Working on the base for the Wedgie.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Working on the base for the Wedgie.
« Reply #40 on: 15 Jul 2015, 08:51 pm »
The amps do have the shelving circuit and they are playing down pretty low. Output wise and sound wise is really close to the H frame. Lots of pressure in the back of the wedge though. Two layers of MDF with braces is a must. I may add a few No Rez strips too just to see what effect it has. I need to try them in some different rooms too.

Sounds good.

How did you wire up the divers, both from a phase standpoint and just physically making the connections? It looks like getting to the side of the drivers facing the front of the cabinet to solder the connections is going to be a challenge.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #41 on: 15 Jul 2015, 08:56 pm »
But I still do not know if and when the planar magnetic tweeters from Christy Digital will be made available again. So this whole kit is still on hold.

Will it be possible for the new planar magnetic tweeters you are looking at to be used in this kit either as is or with a baffle redesign?

Danny Richie

« Reply #42 on: 15 Jul 2015, 09:24 pm »
Sounds good.

How did you wire up the divers, both from a phase standpoint and just physically making the connections? It looks like getting to the side of the drivers facing the front of the cabinet to solder the connections is going to be a challenge.

All drivers are wired in phase. They have to be. All sensing coils are in series and all of the driver coils are in parallel. Wiring them up took some thought, but I figured out a good solution that is not too bad.

Danny Richie

« Reply #43 on: 15 Jul 2015, 09:24 pm »
Will it be possible for the new planar magnetic tweeters you are looking at to be used in this kit either as is or with a baffle redesign?

No, they are really different.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: 15 Jul 2015, 09:33 pm »
No, they are really different.

That's a real shame. This is too good a speaker to die such an early death.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #45 on: 15 Jul 2015, 09:34 pm »
All drivers are wired in phase. They have to be. All sensing coils are in series and all of the driver coils are in parallel. Wiring them up took some thought, but I figured out a good solution that is not too bad.

Good. I burned enough fingers soldering up the H-Frame.  :lol:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #46 on: 15 Jul 2015, 10:17 pm »
Danny,

Do you have anything between the Wedgies and the bass units?

Danny Richie

« Reply #47 on: 15 Jul 2015, 10:28 pm »
Danny,

Do you have anything between the Wedgies and the bass units?

Yeah, some thin hard foam pads. Not ideal and not a final solution, but not bad.

Captainhemo

« Reply #48 on: 15 Jul 2015, 11:27 pm »
Okay, the bases worked out great. Here are some pics. Sorry for the bad lighting. I took the pics as they set in my listening room and not really set up for photographs.

Great to see the wedgies siting on  subs/stands made  "just for them"  and that  they are coming very close to the performance of the H-frames :thumb:
Let's hope Christie gets it in gear and short lifespan Mike mentions won't become a reality.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #49 on: 16 Jul 2015, 03:08 am »
Nice. What are the planar magnetic mid+tweet OB arrays with the 3x12 servos? Are those part of the (evolving?) Singularity for Serenity? Something for Mockingbird? Someone else? Or a future offering from GR Research?

Danny Richie

« Reply #50 on: 16 Jul 2015, 03:37 am »
Nice. What are the planar magnetic mid+tweet OB arrays with the 3x12 servos? Are those part of the (evolving?) Singularity for Serenity? Something for Mockingbird? Someone else? Or a future offering from GR Research?

Finished Serenity Acoustics product now on hold pending driver availability. They are the best sounding speakers that I have ever heard.

bdp24

« Reply #51 on: 16 Jul 2015, 07:17 pm »
Danny, when you say small to medium sized room, would that be about, say, 8 X 13 X 17 maximum or so?

Danny Richie

« Reply #52 on: 16 Jul 2015, 07:30 pm »
Danny, when you say small to medium sized room, would that be about, say, 8 X 13 X 17 maximum or so?

My room is 17' by 23' and has 9' ceilings. I wouldn't recommend them for rooms larger than that unless high SPL levels are not important.

skalos

« Reply #53 on: 16 Jul 2015, 09:06 pm »
Danny,

Are the overall dimensions the same if 2x12s are used?  Also, would the 2x12s be on the same side of the cabinet or opposite?

Steven

Danny Richie

« Reply #54 on: 16 Jul 2015, 09:20 pm »
Danny,

Are the overall dimensions the same if 2x12s are used?  Also, would the 2x12s be on the same side of the cabinet or opposite?

Steven

You could make it the same size for two 12's. The 12's would need to be on opposite sides.

Keithh

« Reply #55 on: 21 Jul 2015, 12:00 am »
Danny, will you be putting out plans and wiring diagrams for these?

Danny Richie

« Reply #56 on: 21 Jul 2015, 01:14 am »
Danny, will you be putting out plans and wiring diagrams for these?

Yes.

Skiman

« Reply #57 on: 21 Jul 2015, 05:12 am »
Finished Serenity Acoustics product now on hold pending driver availability. They are the best sounding speakers that I have ever heard.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!

nickd

« Reply #58 on: 22 Jul 2015, 05:33 pm »
Finished Serenity Acoustics product now on hold pending driver availability. They are the best sounding speakers that I have ever heard

The neo 3's in a Line Source (Epiphany 20/21) is the best treble I ever had in my home. :thumb:
I now have 2 neo 10's per side in my current speakers (B/G FS 420's) and have the best mid range to date.

I sure hope these drivers come back on the market. If not, the industry has really taken a step backward. :cry:

Danny Richie

« Reply #59 on: 23 Jul 2015, 11:03 pm »
Okay guys, the drawings for the Wedgie Base are here: http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/Wedgie%20base.pdf