Re: AV-1RS Question - to build thread

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jul 2015, 03:36 am »
I'm finally getting the primer coat the way I want it. Hopefully, one more day of working on it will give me a smooth primer coat.

The amount of detail sanding on the Wedgies has been a lot more than I thought it would be, Lots of small pieces and narrow areas to try and sand smooth.

I have been using Bullseye 1-2-3 primer. Good stuff but I just realized there is a small issue. The primer is white. The color I am planning on using is also white. This is going to pose a problem in seeing proper coverage of the color coat.

I have thought about shooting a second coat of primer with the addition of a dye such as Trans-Tint. Any thoughts as to whether this is a good idea or not?

If so, what color tint would you recommend for under a white color coat. If not, what would you suggest to help visualize coverage of the white color coat?

Thanks,

Mike

lacro

« Reply #21 on: 3 Jul 2015, 01:23 pm »
I'm finally getting the primer coat the way I want it. Hopefully, one more day of working on it will give me a smooth primer coat.

The amount of detail sanding on the Wedgies has been a lot more than I thought it would be, Lots of small pieces and narrow areas to try and sand smooth.

I have been using Bullseye 1-2-3 primer. Good stuff but I just realized there is a small issue. The primer is white. The color I am planning on using is also white. This is going to pose a problem in seeing proper coverage of the color coat.

I have thought about shooting a second coat of primer with the addition of a dye such as Trans-Tint. Any thoughts as to whether this is a good idea or not?

If so, what color tint would you recommend for under a white color coat. If not, what would you suggest to help visualize coverage of the white color coat?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,
I think your tinting idea is good. If you use black dye, you should get a light gray primer which should contrast good under white. Try the tinted primer on a scrap piece to see if you get enough contrast, add more black if you want it darker gray. What brand of paint, and clear are you using?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 3 Jul 2015, 02:13 pm »
Larry,

The color is General Finishes Snow White milk paint (water based) ant the topcoat is General Finishes High Performance water based polyurethane.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 9 Jul 2015, 06:08 am »
Next installment on the A/V-1RS Build.

I have painted the inset portion of the backs black.

Before I could do any veneering, I had to get the grill frames made and the magnets installed in the cabinets.

Here are the grill frames laid out with the 10 degree angle cut along the front edge and a 3/4" roundover on the corners

Here's a glimpse of what the grills are going to look like. The frames have been completed, magnets installed and grill cloth applied. The cabinets have not been veneered yet.

Here is one of the cabinets with the front piece of veneer applied

Here it is with the grill

I will finish the veneering tomorrow evening and might even get the first coat of stain applied

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 11 Jul 2015, 10:25 pm »
Here are some pictures with the stain applied. It is General Finishes Java Gel Stain on flat cut White Oak. This is one coat of stain. The finish has not been applied yet. The grills are on to get the overall effect.

Mike

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #25 on: 11 Jul 2015, 10:41 pm »
VERY nice!....... :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #26 on: 11 Jul 2015, 11:34 pm »
It looks really good  in the  pics Mike  :thumb:

I am a bit curious as to what yo  think of the Gel stain and the  appearence  it is  actually giving you.... I tried some Minwax Gel stain vs oil on some test boards  a while back and  found although the gel wasn't bad by any  means,  it really seemed to cover or mask the grain slightly compared to the oil  stain.  Even after letting it  dry then top coating it with some wipe on poly,  it  gave the same effect hence I went back to the oil.

Just wanting to know if you are getting a similar effect or if you are  ending up with that same  "pop" oils typically  provide.

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 12 Jul 2015, 01:46 am »
VERY nice!....... :thumb:

Thanks

It looks really good  in the  pics Mike  :thumb:

I am a bit curious as to what yo  think of the Gel stain and the  appearence  it is  actually giving you.... I tried some Minwax Gel stain vs oil on some test boards  a while back and  found although the gel wasn't bad by any  means,  it really seemed to cover or mask the grain slightly compared to the oil  stain.  Even after letting it  dry then top coating it with some wipe on poly,  it  gave the same effect hence I went back to the oil.

Just wanting to know if you are getting a similar effect or if you are  ending up with that same  "pop" oils typically  provide.

-jay

Jay,

This is the first time I have used gel stain. It gives a very smooth and even color but is more opaque (the grain is not as visible) than oil stain. Wiping it off faster and/or more aggressively may cut down on that effect some but for this project the customer wanted the dark color/more opaque with muted wood grain look so the gel stain was perfect.

I have to say, my wife and I are both impressed with the outcome.  However, oil stain would still be my choice if I wanted to add some color to an even staining wood with a grain pattern I want to accent.

Though I usually prefer to use a wood that has a natural color and grain pattern I like so that I don't need any stain at all, just a clear topcoat.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 22 Aug 2015, 12:09 am »
The A/V-1RS's are done. At first I put a gloss finish on them

But that was really too shiny. The person I'm building them for wanted it toned down so I rubbed them down and applied a coat of satin Arm-R-Seal. I have to say I like the satin look better on these. The color looks different depending on whether the flash is on or off.

As for the sound, I'm thrilled with them. The surround channels came to life with these compared the other speakers I have used for this purpose. I had to reduce the volume 3dB from the satellites I was using on both channels to balance them with the Wedgies.

As soon as I finish all the speakers I am building for other people I'm building a couple pairs of A/V-1RS's for myself.

Mike