Kudos to Bryston

sweetspot

Kudos to Bryston
« on: 8 Jun 2015, 01:39 pm »
I was recently on a trip to NYC, where I got to listen to some top of the line Mark Levinson electronics with Revel ultima salon 2 loudspeakers in a dedicated room. I might add that this system retailed for $125,000!!. Upon arriving home a few days later with my aural memory still intact, I immediately listened to my system(4bsst2,bp20p,bcd-1 & psb stratus gold speakers) Well,all I can say is "wow".The Bryston/ PSB gear equaled or surpassed the Levinson/Revel gear, to my ears! Bryston is truly high-end to me, at a fraction of the cost! Thank-you so much Bryston for being! :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Kudos to Bryston
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2015, 02:06 pm »
I was recently on a trip to NYC, where I got to listen to some top of the line Mark Levinson electronics with Revel ultima salon 2 loudspeakers in a dedicated room. I might add that this system retailed for $125,000!!. Upon arriving home a few days later with my aural memory still intact, I immediately listened to my system(4bsst2,bp20p,bcd-1 & psb stratus gold speakers) Well,all I can say is "wow".The Bryston/ PSB gear equaled or surpassed the Levinson/Revel gear, to my ears! Bryston is truly high-end to me, at a fraction of the cost! Thank-you so much Bryston for being! :thumb:

Well thank you for the kind words. 

james

rmurray

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2015, 02:08 pm »
Great to hear that.....I am so satisfied with choosing my Bryston gear some years ago I really don't think theirs a better sound  IMO :thumb:

Phoenix

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2015, 08:18 pm »
Upon arriving home a few days later with my aural memory still intact, ...

Aural or echoic memory normally lasts for 3-4 seconds (max. 20 s). Only direct comparison is going to show you true and objective (and not imagined) differences between setups.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echoic_memory

Still, Bryston truly is high-end.  :)

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2015, 03:51 am »
I've always found my best chance for noticing a difference in equipment is to listen to a component several times (weeks worth) and get used to it. Then, when I replace or introduce a new component, I find that any differences stand out immediately. When I try to back and forth compare something, I feel that I overthink it.

I know that's not scientific. I wonder though if it doesn't have something to do with how we remember things. For example, I'm very visual. I'll remember something I see quite well. Even things I read about I typically recall SEEING the words. I have friends that are very analytical in their memory. I'd be curious to find out if how we typically remember things has anything to do with how we best detect auditory differences. It'd be a fun graduate thesis. :)

- Garrett

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2015, 01:19 pm »
Aural memory is one thing. It's really important in a lab situation when evaluating design decisions that you can quickly A/B, (a cap in a crossover, or something like that) but I don't think it plays as big of a part in listening to whole systems or gear. What we're after as audiophiles and music lovers is an emotional reaction. It doesn't matter so much if a component has more "air" than another. Rather, we are after an experience or emotional reaction to that experience. Our memories for that are far longer and more powerful. That's what makes the kind of comparison Sweetspot describes a useful bit of data.
 My 2 cents :)

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2015, 06:13 pm »
Very good point!

Phoenix

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2015, 02:58 pm »
What we're after as audiophiles and music lovers is an emotional reaction.

You're absolutely right! However, personal mood is not stable and can change which doesn't make things easier.
One day you find a song quite emotionally moving the other day you can't listen to it.
Also room ambiente is definitely a factor which plays an important role. In an uncomfortable room the best gear won't sound good simply because you don't feel comfortably.

It's not an coincidence that audiophiles are often wine connoisseurs...  :wink:

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2015, 03:00 pm »
Haha! You're right! I'm not exactly stable either  :lol:

RDavidson

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2015, 03:18 pm »
At the end of the day, all that matters is that you're happy with what you have.

I'm certain with direct A/B comparison with all factors being equal, you'd notice at least subtle differences. Some differences, you might find superior in one way or another (for your system or the other).
But, none of this matters unless you're one with Audiophilia Nervousa, which seems to only be curable in short recurring periods of money displacement from one's account for more gear and tweaks.