Affordable Amp Recommendations For 3.7's?

firedog

Re: Affordable Amp Recommendations For 3.7's?
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jul 2015, 11:10 am »
Odyssey Audio. For $3000 you can get almost any configuration of their stereo models (start at $1000) and most configurations of their monoblocks. Very good amps. Have no problem driving  4 ohm and 2 ohm speakers. 20 year warranty.

Klaus prefers to talk to you make you a "custom" amp that fits your needs and system. For me he put his best amp in his least expensive case so I could afford his "best sounding" stereo amp. He will know how to make something to make those Maggies sing at a price you can afford: for instance, making an especially high current model.

The Van Alstine 600R or 400R (do you really need the 600?) is also a great choice. Probably what I would have bought if  I didn't get the Odyssey (my Odyssey was less expensive). You can also call Van Alstine and talk to the boss and ask him about using his amp with Maggies.

That's the big advantage of the small audiophile companies: you get to talk to the owner designer.

twitch54

« Reply #21 on: 16 Jul 2015, 08:23 pm »
Odyssey Audio. For $3000 you can get almost any configuration of their stereo models (start at $1000) and most configurations of their monoblocks. Very good amps. Have no problem driving  4 ohm and 2 ohm speakers. 20 year warranty.

Klaus prefers to talk to you make you a "custom" amp that fits your needs and system. For me he put his best amp in his least expensive case so I could afford his "best sounding" stereo amp. He will know how to make something to make those Maggies sing at a price you can afford: for instance, making an especially high current model.

The Van Alstine 600R or 400R (do you really need the 600?) is also a great choice. Probably what I would have bought if  I didn't get the Odyssey (my Odyssey was less expensive). You can also call Van Alstine and talk to the boss and ask him about using his amp with Maggies.

That's the big advantage of the small audiophile companies: you get to talk to the owner designer.

Good suggestion, from others I too have heard positive things regarding Odyssey

firedog

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jul 2015, 08:08 am »
Good suggestion, from others I too have heard positive things regarding Odyssey

Just be prepared for Klaus. He is  great guy and great to talk to. He will NOT try to sell you the most expensive solution, he will listen and try to sell you what seems to be the best solution for your needs.
But he will be too optimistic about shipping time for your amp, especially if you customize.  He'll tell you it will be ready in 4 weeks and it will be 8.

Phil A

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jul 2015, 03:03 pm »

+1 more on Odyssey

newzooreview

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jul 2015, 03:39 pm »
+1 more on Odyssey

Agreed. Fantastic sound, and very stable with lots of current. Van Alstine amps meet the last two criteria, but last time I had them in my system (not the current versions) there was way too much upper midrange glare (his tube hybrid FET valves).

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #25 on: 17 Jul 2015, 03:54 pm »
Consider a used Pass X250 amp.  They go for about $3K.  I have one and it sounds great with my Magnepan 1.6's.  People who come over to my house are astounded at the powerful, tight bass that it produces through my Maggies. I use to have a Parasound A21 and it was blown away by the Pass.  I have also heard the 400R and 600R amps with 1.7's and 3.7's.  They sound great, very dynamic and detailed with great bass.  The upper frequencies can sound bright with my Maggies unless you pair them with the proper preamp and source.  The R amps keep their dynamics at low volumes, more so than other amps that I have heard including my Pass.