IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #540 on: 19 Sep 2018, 03:43 am »
eshiku,

It took me till now to check. My Mac wireless keyboard's volume control tabs (buttons) work just fine. I've had my IDA-8 for 2+ years and never once tried this function - until now that is:roll:.

Michael

eshiku

« Reply #541 on: 20 Sep 2018, 10:06 pm »
Michael,

Thank you so much for doing that! That took away my last bit of concern, time to buy! :)

Eric

iulian

« Reply #542 on: 12 Jan 2019, 08:49 am »
I'm a new IDA-8 owner and I have a question
Hi, what power cables are you using or recommending on this IDA-8 ?
Now I'm using a power cable Apertura Tiny.
Thank you.
iulian

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #543 on: 12 Jan 2019, 05:14 pm »
Try not to fall down the rabbit hole of power cords at this stage of the game. Pick a short but thick gauge that still has enough flexibility to go where you need it to without placing strain on the connectors. Don't bother with fancy shielding or whatnot unless you have a very large amount of signal cables resting on top, but even then simply spacing them carefully should be good enough.

RDavidson

« Reply #544 on: 12 Jan 2019, 05:35 pm »
Shorter power cables aren't necessarily better. In fact I've found the opposite. It depends on the cable design / gauge / shielding...and one's system.

iulian

« Reply #545 on: 12 Jan 2019, 06:41 pm »
Thank you for your answers.
My cable is made of multifilament and tinned conductor.
I have heard that for digital amplifiers there is a better cable made of monofilament [solid] conductors.
I do not have such a cable to test and that's why I'm asking here, I think that those who have this amplifier have tested another wire

rustydoglim

« Reply #546 on: 17 Jan 2019, 01:09 pm »
 :scratch: Just use the factory supplied cable

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #547 on: 17 Jan 2019, 01:34 pm »
I've tried several different PCs with my IDA-8. I never heard a difference, so I do just as Jason recommends - I use the stock power cord.

Dexter_prog

« Reply #548 on: 30 Mar 2019, 09:22 pm »
Hello, new to this nice amp. I have a question. When I turn it off (with the remote or by pressing the input knob) it goes into standby, but the display lead is a blue dot, and the manual says it should be red. Is this normal? The only input connected to the amp is usb.

Phil A

« Reply #549 on: 30 Mar 2019, 11:24 pm »
Hello, new to this nice amp. I have a question. When I turn it off (with the remote or by pressing the input knob) it goes into standby, but the display lead is a blue dot, and the manual says it should be red. Is this normal? The only input connected to the amp is usb.

Welcome!  When I turn mine off the dot is blue.

boisty

« Reply #550 on: 31 Mar 2019, 01:30 am »
my dot is always blue as well

Dexter_prog

« Reply #551 on: 31 Mar 2019, 01:39 am »
good to know! I was worried it wasn't going into stand-by for some reason.

Does yours also keep somewhat warm even when it's in stand-by?

Phil A

« Reply #552 on: 31 Mar 2019, 12:45 pm »
good to know! I was worried it wasn't going into stand-by for some reason.

Does yours also keep somewhat warm even when it's in stand-by?

Yes

Dexter_prog

« Reply #553 on: 31 Mar 2019, 02:38 pm »
aaaaand last question (sorry I didn't come up with all these questions in the first post). When I turn on my IDA (connected to USB to pc) it produces a pop in my speakers when the display turns on and the volume escalates to its last setting. Is this normal?

I also have a technical question. Since I'm using low sensitivity speakers (Dynaudio Emit M10, sensitivity: 86), I read that they need to get quite some power to deliver their potential. If I listen to music at low-moderate levels, does it make any sense to set the IDA to say, 75/100, and lower the volume on windows/spotify/foobar/etc? Or is that the same as setting the IDA to 25/100 and raising the volume in those apps?

tomlinmgt

« Reply #554 on: 1 Apr 2019, 06:34 pm »
Can the IDA-8 unfold MQA files?

rustydoglim

« Reply #555 on: 1 Apr 2019, 06:56 pm »
No. I don't think there is any difference whether you decode ("unfold") the MQA on your computer or in the USB chip.
I think many people don't realise that the DAC doesn't do any decoding of MQA format.
It is the firmware inside the USB communication chip (XMOS) that does the decoding before feeding the DAC.
We "figure" this out when we implemented MQA decoding in Evolution DAC.

tomlinmgt

« Reply #556 on: 1 Apr 2019, 07:20 pm »
No. I don't think there is any difference whether you decode ("unfold") the MQA on your computer or in the USB chip.
I think many people don't realise that the DAC doesn't do any decoding of MQA format.
It is the firmware inside the USB communication chip (XMOS) that does the decoding before feeding the DAC.
We "figure" this out when we implemented MQA decoding in Evolution DAC.

Ahh. I see...and thanks. So just so I’m understanding you clearly, if I’m streaming a Tidal MQA file from a desktop app on my laptop/tablet and sending that content to the IDA-8 via USB all the decoding/unfolding is done at the laptop/tablet PROVIDED it’s capable of doing that?

rustydoglim

« Reply #557 on: 3 Apr 2019, 03:30 pm »
Correct. If Tidal offer MQA on its desktop app, it has to be able to decode. Similarly all the smartphone apps can do the decode.
Without being able to decode MQA, there is no MQA streaming.

Dexter_prog

« Reply #558 on: 19 Apr 2019, 09:16 pm »
When I turn on my IDA (connected to USB to pc) it produces a pop in my speakers when the display turns on and the volume escalates to its last setting. Is this normal?

does this happen to anyone else? I'm wondering if it could damage my speakers

Pf

« Reply #559 on: 6 May 2019, 08:05 pm »
Hi,

I’m contemplating if I should buy the IDA 6 or 8. I understand that the 8 is more powerful but how’s the difference in sound quality, etc?
The 6 seems to have more features like two optical in and 4 pairs of banana plugs. Why?
The idea is to drive a pair of totem dreamcatcher speakers. Any thoughts and recommendations?

/PF