IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

well

Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #620 on: 30 Mar 2020, 08:31 am »
Hi everyone! last week i buy the ida-8 and gamut phi-3 speakers. This combination is great! I am very happy. Just as happy with my headphone setup DAC-9 / HPA-9.  Great job Nuprime. Thanks a lot. Sorry for my english, i'm from Ukraine

iulian

« Reply #621 on: 1 Apr 2020, 08:07 am »
nice, what cables are the green ones.

well

« Reply #622 on: 9 Apr 2020, 02:21 pm »
nice, what cables are the green ones.
Audio Magic Trinium XL

iulian

« Reply #623 on: 9 Apr 2020, 03:13 pm »
thank you

JAC_ZAR

« Reply #624 on: 25 May 2020, 04:37 pm »
Hi,
I own IDA-8, KEF LS50, REL T/7i
What should I do to upgrade my system/sound ?
Will IDA-16 be significantly better than IDA-8 or should I go for ST-10+DAC-10 ?
I'm also considering Hegel H190

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC + Don Sachs + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven!
« Reply #625 on: 25 May 2020, 08:41 pm »
Hello, JAC_ZAR,

The IDA-8 and IDA-16 have a very different sound. The IDA-8 (with the right speakers) can sound almost tube-like. It is - in my opinion - a great product offered at a steal of a price. I owned one of the first units until about 6 months ago because I gave it to my son as a house warming gift. I replaced it with an IDA-16 because I wanted more power. The IDA-16 is clearer sounding and definitely more analytical. I went through a phase a few years ago during which I thought I liked analytical, but after about 18 months realized I do not. I really like the tube-like sound - regardless of whether it's from a SS amp or a tube amp.

Once I had burned the IDA-16 in and listened to many different songs and three different pairs of speakers, I discovered that what I really wanted was an IDA-8 with a 200 watt amplifier. Apparently, that is not possible.  :( 

There are plenty of people who own an IDA-16 and love what it does and how it sounds in their systems, so don't take my criticisms as representative of the market. I have owned an ST-10. I prefer its sound to that of the IDA-16. I haven't heard the DAC-10 in so many years that I can't possibly tell you how it sounds.

Enjoy your audio journey.

Michael

JackD

« Reply #626 on: 25 May 2020, 10:22 pm »
The DAC-10 is a great piece and pretty much neutral unlike many Sabre based DAC's. To get a half sized combo that gets a sound similar to the IDA-8 with power that my be possible with the ST-10 and the new Alita DAC. The combo side by side would be less than an inch wider than the IDA-16.

John Casler

« Reply #627 on: 25 May 2020, 11:11 pm »
Hi,
I own IDA-8, KEF LS50, REL T/7i
What should I do to upgrade my system/sound ?
Will IDA-16 be significantly better than IDA-8 or should I go for ST-10+DAC-10 ?
I'm also considering Hegel H190

If you don't need digital inputs, then you might consider the new AMG PRA.  It is spectacular

Mated with the AMG STA amp (or a pair in mono) should offer some of the IDA-8 sonic qualities except much better.

Check with your dealer and if you go with that pairing there my be room to trade the IDA-8 in.

If you do need digital inputs, just mix the DAC-10 and the AMG STA or 2.

Let me know if you have questions.

JAC_ZAR

« Reply #628 on: 6 Feb 2021, 12:48 pm »
Recently I listened to the NAD M10 and the Hegel H190
The sound stage and resolution were a little better than the IDA-8 but there was no warmth in the music and their price does not reflect the quality of the sound
So I am waiting for the IDA-32
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2021, 12:16 pm by JAC_ZAR »

jonbee

« Reply #629 on: 6 Feb 2021, 04:40 pm »
For a few $ the TDSS mods significantly improve the clarity of the IDA-8 and DAC-10. It does not increase the power, however. I have modded Nuprimes (IDA-8 and 2 DAC10-h) in my 3 systems and to me they are permanent fixtures. After 53 years of swapping around that is saying something. Unbeatable values and features in their niches, with or without mods.

rustydoglim

« Reply #630 on: 8 Feb 2021, 09:59 pm »
IDA-8 has achieved the perfect balance for an entry level audiophile integrated at unbeatable price for the sound quality.
To be honest, we don't know how to make it sound better or more powerful without increasing the price by more than 50%.
It is kind of like the Dad's personal music system whereas Omnia A300 is for the whole family.
Cultural and geographical preferences are also quite different. So we do have some people that prefer the A300 sound over IDA-8.

What the IDA-8 lacks is a very good but low cost streaming transport (Stream 9 Mini).
But we have to release the incredible Stream 9 transport first.  :thumb:
If budget allows, go for the Stream 9 (less than $1K, exact price available end of Feb), you will not regret it.  For the same music, ie same 16-bit/44.1kHz music from CDT-10 versus same file streamed from network NAS, the performance of Stream 9 rival that of CDT-10.