IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

srb

Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #600 on: 11 Aug 2019, 05:17 pm »
Generally, if there are L + R stereo sub outputs, they are line outputs that could be used as preamp outputs (as opposed to mono sub outputs) if they are full-range without any low-pass filtering.

In the case of the IDA-8, these full-range outputs originally had 3X gain (6V) as opposed to more-or-less standard 2V, and therefore were described as subwoofer outputs and not preamp outputs.

However, as of August 14, 2015 all IDA-8 shipped had sub outputs with a default of  1X gain (2V), with 2X and 3X gain available on special order.

IDA-8 and Pre-out Gain

Dexter_prog

« Reply #601 on: 17 Aug 2019, 02:14 pm »
Generally, if there are L + R stereo sub outputs, they are line outputs that could be used as preamp outputs (as opposed to mono sub outputs) if they are full-range without any low-pass filtering.

In the case of the IDA-8, these full-range outputs originally had 3X gain (6V) as opposed to more-or-less standard 2V, and therefore were described as subwoofer outputs and not preamp outputs.

However, as of August 14, 2015 all IDA-8 shipped had sub outputs with a default of  1X gain (2V), with 2X and 3X gain available on special order.

IDA-8 and Pre-out Gain
Thanks. I had forgotten I'd read about that. I've sent them an email as I don't know when mine was manufactured

John Casler

« Reply #602 on: 17 Aug 2019, 03:51 pm »
Thanks. I had forgotten I'd read about that. I've sent them an email as I don't know when mine was manufactured

It is of little consequence, since your sub has a gain control to get the right balance.

So the  different voltage output will only affect "fixed" volume subs.