Very good class D amplifier for Omegas

Audiophile58

Very good class D amplifier for Omegas
« on: 18 May 2015, 10:45 am »
I have listened for several hours to the Temple Audio Bantam Gold 25 wpc using a MOSFET Analog devises chipset.very respectable sounding, that being said I am waiting on their Bantam 1 which is a true Dual Monoblock
In a full size case 3 times the power supply capacitance about $800 U.S , and a SE model much better regulated linear  power supply Clarity MR coupling capacitors and Nichicon Gold power caps  A conservative 40  WPC fancy wooden front panel. The SE is roughly $400 more.
These prices would be at least double if bought in a store . All designed and built in the U.K.

I will forwards  my findings after I receive my amp . 

Poultrygeist

Re: Very good class D amplifier for Omegas
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2015, 11:17 am »
C&C class D for the Omegas would be a $20 TPA3116 paired with a $35 Astron linear.

Audiophile58

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2015, 11:44 am »
Tripath is way outdated the latest Analog devises chipset  has 8 mosfets per amplifier X2,
And  very purpose built for 2 channel audio. Untill you have heard it you cannot even make
A  reasonable argument .  In Audio there are new technologies and ways to  implement
Different technologies .nothing is Finite . This was well thought out and designed with
All  well respected know parts quality . Also a full size regulated linear power supply is not cheap to make and night and day better then any wall wart PS.
The SE version will have something similar to name brand seperate power supplies not your average at all.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2015, 02:03 pm »
The TPA3116 is not a tripath but a new chip developed by T.I.

The exhaustive thread here and on other audio forums speak volumes.

ebag4

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2015, 05:04 pm »
I have listened for several hours to the Temple Audio Bantam Gold 25 wpc using a MOSFET Analog devises chipset.very respectable sounding, that being said I am waiting on their Bantam 1 which is a true Dual Monoblock
In a full size case 3 times the power supply capacitance about $800 U.S , and a SE model much better regulated linear  power supply Clarity MR coupling capacitors and Nichicon Gold power caps  A conservative 40  WPC fancy wooden front panel. The SE is roughly $400 more.
These prices would be at least double if bought in a store . All designed and built in the U.K.

I will forwards  my findings after I receive my amp .

Doesn't appear that your amp meets the guidelines for the C&C circle:

Here are general guidelines:

- headphone system = $200 max (head-amp and cans)
- PC only system      = $400 max (including speakers or cans)
- analog only system = $650 (phono or pre/integrated amp with phono build-in +
  turntable/arm/cartridge
- maximum stereo system price = $1000 (I'll accept 20% overhead given variations in 2nd hand   
  market and currency difference)
- no brand cables in this circle except DIY. We can make some exception for true basement bargains tho.
  Components with humor factor and gadgets are acceptable as well.

Individual components shouldn't exceed  $350 however in cases of full featured components like integrated amps with DAC, phonostage or headphone amp - its value can be as much as $650.
DIY and kits are more then welcome.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2015, 05:46 pm »
I'd go with the Crown XLS 1500 for an inexpensive amp for Omega speakers. It has a built-in highpass filter that is a great advantage if playing bass heavy music at higher volumes. Set at 50 Hz it eliminates the extreme excursion caused by frequencies under the tuning frequency of the box and allows for easy integration with a subwoofer.

The TPA 3116 would be fun for someone into DIY to play with.

The Temple Audio amp may be very good but it's a bit more $ than "cheap and cheerful". In any case, you could post your results with the amp in the Omega circle, it may end up being a good choice for some Omega owners.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 19 May 2015, 12:18 am by DaveC113 »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2015, 10:41 pm »
The Bantam Gold mentioned is within guidelines, the Bantam 1 is beyond Cheap and Cheerful price limits.  So the op's impressions of the Gold amp would be encouraged, while he should start a new thread in Solid State or Omega for the dual mono amp.

Brad

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2015, 10:51 pm »
I'd go with the newer TI chip over the Crown.
The Omegas don't need a lot of power, and the TPA3110 or 3116 should drive them quite well for not much money.

I like the Crown, but in my use it is a much better subwoofer amp than full range amp.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2015, 11:34 pm »
I'd go with the newer TI chip over the Crown.
The Omegas don't need a lot of power, and the TPA3110 or 3116 should drive them quite well for not much money.

I like the Crown, but in my use it is a much better subwoofer amp than full range amp.

Thanks, I appreciate your candor. I quite like the TPA3116 (with an Astron) as an amp - that regardless of price - is very musical. I'd rather not suffer unnecessary disappointment, wasting my time and money with a more powerful, but less musical amp.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2015, 12:18 am »
I've tried lots of amps with my Omegas and the Crown is a standout, it's plenty "musical" and well worth a try. It sounds a lot like a good tube amp. The extra power is a benefit, the Crown will make the Omega drivers do things in the midbass small amps cannot. And the 50 Hz highpass is a huge benefit. IMO you'll have to spend many multiples the price of the Crown to get something better and not just a sideways move.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2015, 01:00 am »
I spent an afternoon recently listening to a Crown XLS 1000 and loved it.

The XLS was driving two of Ed Schilling's bucket subs while the Heil Horns were bi-amped with Nelson Pass' Amp Camp Amp's.

The Crown excels as a subwoofer amplifier and it's built in crossover tells me that's what it was designed for.

OzarkTom

« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2015, 01:03 am »
I will second what Dave said. You can pick the XLS 1500 up for $200 or less, and in my system, the Crown easily beats the TPA amps I have sitting around.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2015, 04:57 am »
Thanks, I appreciate your candor. I quite like the TPA3116 (with an Astron) as an amp - that regardless of price - is very musical. I'd rather not suffer unnecessary disappointment, wasting my time and money with a more powerful, but less musical amp.
I've heard Wind Chasers amp and it sounds great.  So much so that it caused me to look into Class D.  I ended up getting a couple of Temple Bantam Golds and love their sound in two different systems I have with Omegas.

steve f

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2015, 07:10 am »
Go with the crown xls 1500 over the 1000. The front end circuitry is different on the 1500 and up amps.
Also the bigger crowns are capable of excellent sound in the right systems.

fredgarvin

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jun 2015, 06:08 pm »
The TPA3116 is very inexpensive. But then you buy the red board, then the black board, then the green board, then the black and red board and probably a violet and pink board too. Meanwhile you have a pile of 'veils' to deal with that were 'lifted' each time you bought a new board. Then you buy the cheap power supply. Then you buy an expensive power supply. A few more veils added to the pile. Then you realize that piece of board with wires snarling all around it needs a facelift. Then you put it in a cigar box. Then you mod an old toaster case. Then you buy the expensive milled metal block case.

There went C n C.  :green:

The Bantam Gold sounds interesting.

mcgsxr

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jun 2015, 06:25 pm »
The Crown excels as a subwoofer amplifier and it's built in crossover tells me that's what it was designed for.

Not sure Poultrygeist - the Xover is adjustable from 50Hz to 3kHz, so I think the reason the pro amp has a built in Xover is so that you don't necessarily need an Xover in your setup.

I am awaiting the arrival of an XLS 1500 at present, but have scoured the owners manual etc.

No doubt it functions as an excellent sub amp.  That is my backup plan.  If it fails me for full range use in my system, it will replace the 500w plate amp currently driving my 2x12 DIY HT sub.

lacro

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jun 2015, 03:40 pm »
The TPA3116 is very inexpensive. But then you buy the red board, then the black board, then the green board, then the black and red board and probably a violet and pink board too. Meanwhile you have a pile of 'veils' to deal with that were 'lifted' each time you bought a new board. Then you buy the cheap power supply. Then you buy an expensive power supply. A few more veils added to the pile. Then you realize that piece of board with wires snarling all around it needs a facelift. Then you put it in a cigar box. Then you mod an old toaster case. Then you buy the expensive milled metal block case.

There went C n C.  :green:

The Bantam Gold sounds interesting.

You forgot to mention the "HOBBY" aspect :scratch: These little amps that are $10-25 have given me so much enjoyment, and learning experience that I almost feel guilty for paying so little for such GREAT sound :oops: I have learned much about audio, electronic components, and I learned the very satisfying skill of "solder slinging" I am no longer afraid to tackle component replacement on a PCB. Also, I really enjoy building the modded boards into a finished box! I even stuffed one into an Altoids box just for the challenge :thumb:

In this age of sound bars, bluetooth speakers, Wave Radio, and streaming audio that most people think is great sounding, I found the TPA3110/3116 amps to be amazing even in their stock form. However, the mods do change things dramatically (lift veils) :icon_lol: Are they the last word in cheap audio - NO, but they do pull way above their weight!

As far a C&C, these amps are way within the guidelines for a C&C system. Personally, I have built 7 of the TPA3110/TPA3116 amps. I bought tools, soldering station, milled aluminum cases, wire, electronic components, connectors, etc. I added an Astron PS ($25 shipped), and a 3 tube preamp with Russian tubes. I have a couple hundred dollars total invested in this class D amp DIY hobby.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jun 2015, 05:48 pm »
lacro I couldn't agree more. :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jun 2015, 05:51 pm »
C&C class D for the Omegas would be a $20 TPA3116 paired with a $35 Astron linear.

I'd go with the TDA7297 over a TPA3116, but it isn't a class D. It needs a few changes at the least.

lacro

« Reply #19 on: 7 Jun 2015, 01:36 pm »
I'd go with the TDA7297 over a TPA3116, but it isn't a class D. It needs a few changes at the least.

Salis,
I have been wanting to try the TDA7297 for awhile now, but keeping up with the "current" parts changes, and mods needed has been difficult. So - seeing that you are the major driving force for this amp, I wish you would update YOUR recommended parts changes with Digi-key or Mouser part numbers. Also, which board (source) to buy? And finally instructions for each mod, like you did with your earlier posts in the TDA7297 thread. :thumb: