Geek out DAC and use with ipad/iphone

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
Geek out DAC and use with ipad/iphone
« on: 17 May 2015, 03:52 pm »
It's my understanding that one needs to use both the apple camera connection kit as well as an external power source to make these two gadgets work together, is that correct?  So the chain is ipad--CCK--geek out--headphones?  Where does the external power source Y in to the system?

Thanks

ebag4

Re: Geek out DAC and use with ipad/iphone
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2015, 04:09 pm »
I used this to connect it all together including the battery:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O0H5DXS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ipad>CCK>USB Hub>GeekOut>Headphones
                                 <Battery

There is supposedly a way to add additional drive space to the hub and use symbolic links to expand the available memory of your ipad, this is what I found on Computer Audiophile:

My current setup for both 24/192 and DSD is to use the Onkyo HF Player app. I use the Apple CCK and connect to a USB hub. I also have a 1.5 TB hard drive attached to the hub and mounted with iFile with symbolic links of my music folders directly into the Onkyo library location. I have a portable battery connected to the hub to power the entire setup and overcome the Apple error that shuts down the port if devices draw too much power. For the DAC/headphone amp, I am currently using a Geek Out 1000. The system isn't the most elegant but it still is portable and able to play all formats. Hope that helps.

I did not get the symbolic links working because my iPad is new and I didn't want to hack it to make it work.

Good luck!
Ed

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2015, 01:26 am »
Thanks so much.  I'll give this system a try, that way I can use this dongle-dac with my mac and my ipad/iphone.

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2015, 12:34 pm »
ebag4,

Could you post a picture of your portable setup mentioned above for those of us who do better reading pictures?  Thanks!!  I am particularly interested in the battery and its connection to the system.  Thanks again.

Best,

Blu99Zoomer