Online only?

zpanky

Online only?
« on: 30 Sep 2004, 06:36 am »
I just found out about ACI when I saw Eric's avatar in another forum.  Are they sold online only?  How does a Canadian go about getting a demo?

circularduck

Online only?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2004, 12:01 pm »
ACI offers a 30 day trial period, which, if you ask nicely, can be extended.  The downside is that we Canadians have to pay a little more for shipping.  The best thing is to read as many comparison reviews as possible to products you have access to.  Then, when you build a level of confidence in the product, pull the trigger.

Mike Dzurko

Online only?
« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2004, 11:42 am »
Great advice from "the duck" :)  We have a lot of very satisfied Canadian customers. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

circularduck

Online only?
« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2004, 12:09 pm »
With Mark Schifter's recent announcement of Rocket Canada, any thoughts of an ACI Canada?  :wink:

Mike Dzurko

Online only?
« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2004, 03:43 pm »
Quote from: circularduck
With Mark Schifter's recent announcement of Rocket Canada, any thoughts of an ACI Canada?  :wink:

Hmmmmmmm . . . .

We do have a fair number of Canadian customers. I understand that Canadians get hit with some significant import costs. Maybe someone can chime in here with how that works as I'd be very interested in finding ways to make it easier for our Canadian friends!

BeeBop

Online only?
« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2004, 07:26 pm »
I live in Toronto and have a pair of 25th anniversary Sapphires :D. You are welcome to come over and have a listen. PM me if you are interested.

zpanky

Online only?
« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2004, 01:31 am »
Thanks for the responses.  I'm in Vancouver, so TO is a little out of the way  :)

Just got my birthday gift from my wife.  A new table saw!  So I think I am going to give DIY a try before upgrading my speakers.  Just want to do this for fun as a little project.  I still intend to upgrade my speakers this year or next.

I hope there is an "ACI Canada" in the works.  That would be really convenient.  If they sound half as good as they look (Jaguar), that would be an incredible bargain.

zpanky

Online only?
« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2004, 01:35 am »
One other thing, where are the speakers manufactured?  Where are the components from and where is the speaker assembled?  That will make a difference as to whether we are charged for just Cdn taxes or if an import duty is also applied.

BeeBop

Online only?
« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2004, 10:19 am »
Made in the US. No import duties. Just the friggin sales tax :roll:

circularduck

Online only?
« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2004, 11:50 am »
It's a few things that add up.  The shipping cost, sales tax, potential brokerage fees, and the poor rate the credit card companies give you on the exchange.  It would also cost you more in the (I'm sure) very rare instance you want to return the product.  :)

About ACI Canada, maybe the newest expert in importing speakers to Canada, Craig Chase, might want to chime in with some advice.  8)

BeeBop

Online only?
« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct 2004, 01:14 pm »
Yes a Canadian agent would be very helpful. Right now the extra costs you cite (broker fees, shipping) are still probably not as much as you would pay in dealer mark-up if you bought them through a dealer of some sort. Don't forget that this dealer would also be paying shipping and brokerage for stuff brought from the US and shipping for stuff brought from a Canadian manufacturer. I'm just guessing here - I know squat about audio equipment economics. In any case, yer gonna pay the government vig no matter who you buy from.

Brenda@ACI

• http://www.audioc.com
Online only?
« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2004, 02:54 pm »
I just want to mention the standard method of exporting for ACI is via UPS WW Express. So far we've found this to be the best option. It does include the brokerage fee, insurance, a tracking number, about a 2-3 day delivery time and ACI offers a discount on this option.

We do the best we can on our end to help customers with the importing process. If anyone needs a quote, please feel free to email us.

Thanks,
Brenda

Mike Dzurko

Online only?
« Reply #12 on: 6 Oct 2004, 06:18 pm »
I want to add that we are looking at ways to make it even easier for those in Canada to purchase from us. Any and all suggestions are welcome. We are checking right now on the possibility of further discounts for the UPS WW Express program which has proven pretty popular with our Canadian customers.

One additional note: Most of our products can be shipped as "made in the USA" which reduces the tax over products made elsewhere.

BeeBop

Online only?
« Reply #13 on: 7 Oct 2004, 10:04 am »
With respect to UPS - I have seen a lot of negative comments about UPS from audiophiles in the US. My Sapphires arrived in great shape - no holes in the box or other horror stories. I have also shipped and received a number of items through UPS Canada and have had no problems. Now if you wanna talk about Purolator, that's another story.

P.S. Great job on that web site Brenda!

Brenda@ACI

• http://www.audioc.com
Online only?
« Reply #14 on: 7 Oct 2004, 03:32 pm »
Quote from: BeeBop
With respect to UPS - I have seen a lot of negative comments about UPS from audiophiles in the US. My Sapphires arrived in great shape - no holes in the box or other horror stories. I have also shipped and received a number of items through UPS Canada and have had no problems. Now if you wanna talk about Purolator, that's another story.

P.S. Great job on that web site Brenda!

Thanks! Glad you like the new web site. :)

As far as UPS, they definitely have their moments, but I do have to say they've been treating ACI with favor lately. (knock on wood) Damage claims have been extremely rare. Of course we did modify our packaging a few years ago to include a high quality, expensive, 2" packaging foam. The modified packaging has made a lot of happy campers!