Das Boot (motorcycle)

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Das Boot (motorcycle)
« on: 2 May 2015, 09:30 pm »
I've been slowly researching and buying boots of late. They have to be from the US or Italy to be considered in my search.
I also had frost bite on both feet so my feet tend to run hot as the circulation is screwed up.

Sidi - go up 1/2 size from what you normally wear. All of the Sidi boots I've owned run on the warm side - anything that says RAIN or Gore Tex is really a 3 season boot. I have 2 pair of Sidi, durable, well made, too hot for the Summer.

AlpineStars - after having AlpineStars split at the seam after only 1 year I will never buy another pair. I'm not alone with the seam issue, by the way.

All of the US made boots listed below are sized accurately. Get the size you'd normally wear in a shoe which may be 1/2 size smaller than your typical sneaker. Isn't it fun?
The boots listed below do not have any of the motorcycle-specific protection devices so hopefully you won't slide too far on your ankle.

Red Wing - Very high quality, probably the best of the bunch. Wide variety to fit just about any application. A lifetime boot which also means they weigh a ton.
Do your research as they do have "imported leather" and then Made In China (Irish Setter line).
I currently have the Pecos pull on which will be good from around 40-70 degree day rides for me. Much above that and they'll start to get on the warm side although the tops let in lots of air flow. Stylish in kind of a cowboy-ish way.

Chippewa - very high quality, maybe a notch below Red Wing but built like tanks. A lifetime boot.

Thorogood - not quite in the same league as Red Wing or Chippewa but they're priced quite a bit lower and their 6" postal boot looks like a real winner for Summer riding.
The soles for that model are glued on but I'm told no issues by a woman who has been selling them for 3 years.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: Das Boot (motorcycle)
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2015, 10:56 pm »
What's this got to do with submarines? :scratch:

Doc

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2015, 11:12 pm »
You would want the Sidi Rains for submarines.
It may prove to be of interest to motorcycle people on this Circle.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2015, 12:21 am »
Seriously, don't be so serious. It's unbecoming.

Doc

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2015, 04:39 am »
I have some 1000 mile wolverines I like a lot. But I'd check out Thursday Boot Co.