You're looking at a couple bad a$$ mo-fo's

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
You're looking at a couple bad a$$ mo-fo's
« on: 22 Apr 2015, 04:59 am »
With a bad ass pair of speakers that WE built with our own hands.  Every facet, every curve, every shinny buffed out piece ... we did.  My Father always cautioned me against being prideful, but damn it's hard to look at these gorgeous creations and not feel a swell of pride.  I wouldn't be kidding or exaggerating at all to say that building these has caused me to lose 6-8 pounds, and gain 20% in upper body strength. 

Just wanted to post a teaser up before the full 'official' Perfect Storm announcement, enjoy! 

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
Re: You're looking at a couple bad a$$ mo-fo's
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2015, 09:40 am »
New meaning to Bad to the Bone. WOW! :thumb:

dpatters

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2015, 11:51 am »
Those look awesome Ryan!! :thumb:
Is that the same veneer and paint used on my Joule Black? I'm sure the paint is the same but the veneer looks maybe a tad lighter.

Hard to tell without seeing them in person.  Wish I could be in Chicago to hear them.

Congrats!!

Don P.

Nick77

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2015, 12:10 pm »
Those look amazing!  :thumb:

They also look like they need lots of breathing room, what is the smallest room you would put these in??

pconley2

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2015, 12:33 pm »
Ryan and Pete, I hope a bad ass Perfect Storm blows through Chicago, give them room to breath and feed them some NiN  :evil:
Phil

bajaed

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2015, 12:50 pm »
Those are magazine cover material! With the amazing Vapor sound quality and the visual wow factor, these are going to create a ton of excitement. Be prepared for lines out the door.

GentleBender

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2015, 12:57 pm »
Those are MONSTERS. Wish I could hear those bad boys. Godzilla would approve, he may ask you to turn them down even.  :thumb:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2015, 01:42 pm »
Those look awesome Ryan!! :thumb:
Is that the same veneer and paint used on my Joule Black? I'm sure the paint is the same but the veneer looks maybe a tad lighter.

Hard to tell without seeing them in person.  Wish I could be in Chicago to hear them.

Congrats!!

Don P.

It's different paint too.  There are a lot of aspects about building speakers that I enjoy, one is picking out colors and visualizing the combination of paint and veneer.  This paint is actually a Lincoln color called Earth Pearl.  In sun it looks brown/bronze/gold, but indoors it looks gunmetal/slate grey, and in both colors there is a TON of metal flake.  It's exactly what I was looking for, since this veneer has some grey in it as well as a lot of brown obviously. 

And the veneer is Myrtle Burl, nice looking stuff, and one of the few stunning bundles we could find in sheets big enough to cover the PS.  One neat thing in this veneer is there were a few pinholes where bugs bored into the wood, and wherever they are the wood has bright orange streaks from an oxidizing reaction with the bug poo  :lol:

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2015, 01:50 pm »
Great looking speakers.  Going to try to make it over to Beverly Hills, FL to see the Joules (been in contact with Francis) when they are done.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2015, 01:56 pm »
Those look amazing!  :thumb:

They also look like they need lots of breathing room, what is the smallest room you would put these in??

They are very, very large speakers.  There's no hard guideline for room size and resultant proper performance, there are more variables than that.  But I would say you're going to want to be seated 10' away, and that you'll need about 12-14' of room width to get them into place along with a typical system rack and still have some walking space.  20'x14' might be a good minimum room size.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2015, 02:01 pm »
Great looking speakers.  Going to try to make it over to Beverly Hills, FL to see the Joules (been in contact with Francis) when they are done.

Good to hear, his speakers are essentially done ... just gotta find a bit of time to put the finishing touches on.  So they'll be headed your way very soon!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2015, 02:15 pm »
Very beautiful and impressive looking speakers guys! Hopefully I'll have an opportunity to give them a listen at one of the shows this year (hint, hint  :green:).
I believe you when you say you gained some muscle mass moving those things around! Bass portion must weigh a couple hundred pounds all by it's lonesome.

bajaed

« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2015, 05:13 pm »
Ryan, I've always wondered about the process used to take a burl and turn it into a sheet of beautiful veneer like this. Any good videos on that subject?

Scott F.

« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2015, 11:42 pm »
Awesome :thumb:

What I want to see is you and Pete wrestle those things out of your house. You better brace the steps before you bring them up.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #14 on: 23 Apr 2015, 12:09 am »
I've seen the bits and pieces in person, and still can't imagine what one of those weighs.
Any ideas?

SlushPuppy

« Reply #15 on: 23 Apr 2015, 12:31 am »
Nice work guys!

Eugene2

« Reply #16 on: 23 Apr 2015, 12:44 am »
Wow!  and wired with Verastarr, super neutral cables!  I'll be there for the debut, they look like monsters or maybe you guys are just real short :lol:

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #17 on: 23 Apr 2015, 12:45 am »
Nice!
wish I had the coin to afford a pair!

GentleBender

« Reply #18 on: 23 Apr 2015, 09:52 am »
I've seen the bits and pieces in person, and still can't imagine what one of those weighs.
Any ideas?
The flyer says total cabinet weight is 350lbs! Better have a strong back and lots of friends.  :icon_lol:

fex02

« Reply #19 on: 23 Apr 2015, 11:52 am »
I am going to take Ryan to the gym when he is in florida.Ne needs to do some strength training to avoid back issues !Those babies are beautiful and heavy.