JRiver Remote w Mini

tasar

JRiver Remote w Mini
« on: 3 Apr 2015, 06:15 pm »
I have no network in the listening room. You can ask Airport to self assign a network IP address which can be entered in Remote settings and they work seamlessly. I prefer to shutdown the Mini between sessions but of course the IP address previously assigned, drops out. Subsequently a screen view with Mini is necessary for reassignment, rather a PITA. Any ideas on how/if the IP address can be saved before shutdown ?

srb

Re: JRiver Remote w Mini
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2015, 09:29 pm »
In the Airport TCP/IP section you can assign a static IP address ("Manually") or if you want to also connect the Mac to other portable devices you can choose "Using DHCP with manual address" which will let you assign a static IP address to the Airport WiFi while simultaneously using it's DHCP to automatically assign IP addresses to other devices.

If you have a WiFi network elsewhere in your house that is also assigning DHCP addresses and you are not restricting wireless access to that router with MAC hardware address filtering, then you would want to use a different network IP base address (or at least outside the address range of that network).

Steve

tasar

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2015, 09:46 pm »
Even after setting a manual address I seem to remember it is forgotten upon shutdown ? Need to try once again.

tasar

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2015, 08:33 pm »
In the Airport TCP/IP section you can assign a static IP address ("Manually") or if you want to also connect the Mac to other portable devices you can choose "Using DHCP with manual address" which will let you assign a static IP address to the Airport WiFi while simultaneously using it's DHCP to automatically assign IP addresses to other devices.

If you have a WiFi network elsewhere in your house that is also assigning DHCP addresses and you are not restricting wireless access to that router with MAC hardware address filtering, then you would want to use a different network IP base address (or at least outside the address range of that network).

Steve

I assign a static TCP IP with the Mini,  Wi-Fi connects with IPad, but when I reset the new manual address in JRemote settings, it does not connect to Mini. Am I missing something ?

srb

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2015, 11:54 pm »
I assign a static TCP IP with the Mini,  Wi-Fi connects with IPad, but when I reset the new manual address in JRemote settings, it does not connect to Mini. Am I missing something ?

Because you are using the IP Address connection method instead of the Access Key method, you should not need an Internet connection to lookup and verify the access key.

I don't have JRemote installed as my iPod cannot be upgraded to iOS 7.0 (  :oops: ), so I can't verify the required settings, but if the JRemote settings are also asking for a port number, verify the port number in JRiver > Options > Media Network > Advanced > TCP Port and enter it in the JRemote settings (default is 52199).

(Also check that Use Media Network to share this library and enable DNLA is checked.)

If you still can't connect (or that wasn't the problem), check to see that for some reason the OS X Firewall is not denying access in System Preferences > Security > Firewall.  You can either Stop the Firewall to test, or click Advanced to make sure that incoming connections are being allowed for JRiver.

Steve