best monitor speakers for under $130?

mbayaq1

« on: 27 Sep 2004, 06:26 am »
I currently have a set of Logitech Z560's  :(  and would really like to purchase a pair of nice monitors for use in computer music playback.  They will only be used on music, no games or movies, and the types of music I listen to are quite varied but mainly modern/classic rock, mellow stuff (zero 7, norah jones), alternative, and some jazz and classical.  I  currently use foobar2000 through a SB audigy  :(  to play mostly mp3's and cds.  I was thinking of a few basic options for the monitors:

1.  passive monitors running off the logitech amp and also utilizing the logitech sub
(I can't afford to buy a new sub right now, and the logitech amp puts out about 50 watts per channel.  I like this option because it allows me to put the most money into a quality speaker.)

2.  powered monitors/new amp & monitor combo
(This could work, but I would be curious as to how I could still use my logitech sub with this...)

I would appreciate suggestions for either option as well as suggestions on things I may not have thought of.  Thanks for any and all help.

P.S. Would I see a huge benefit from upgrading to a new sound card too, such as the M-Audio Sonica?

P.P.S.  Is it even possible to get good monitors for under $130?

stealth edit:  I found these:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/s=headphones/search/detail/base_pid/609016/
Are they crap?

hubcaps

« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2004, 07:35 am »
Don't get those cheap "studio monitors."  Of the lower priced studio monitors, I only remotely like tannoys.  You really won't be getting anything good for $150, with the exception of what you already have.  I haven't heard the logitechs, but I have heard it's main competition, the klipsch speakers, and they sounded pretty darn good in my opinion.  I don't think you could improve on the sound much unless you go up to the $300+ range.  Also, I am not sure if the amp from the logitech are worth using with a standard speaker, so I would eventually get an amp.

You might want to try what's mentioned on the following page:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1154041,00.asp

Maybe put that money into an m-audio, or if you are on a budget get the chaintech av-710 (here's a review: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?p=848255#post848255 ).  The chaintech is getting great reviews every where, and the best part is that it's only $25.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2004, 07:55 am »
The klipsches are missing midrange between the sats and the sub, but other than that (and imaging and goodies like that) it sounds ok.  I wouldn't use the sats with the logitech sub though.  For the price, you might as well just pick up a refurbed klipsch 2.1 set.  

It sounds like you really want that bass.  Otherwise, I would suggest you try for some event tr5 monitors off of ebay.  They'll only cost a little more than your planned budget if you're patient.  There are less than ideal ways to get the sub to play at the same time as the events, but they are...less than ideal.  Your crossover region between the sats and sub won't be smooth.  You can always upgrade to a sub with xover control at a later date.

On the other hand, I have heard people do what you suggested with passive speakers to decent results with creative subs.  If you're set on trying that path, at least do youself the favor of buying used speakers so you can get a bit more for your money.  Don't be like me - I almost never follow my own advice.

JohnR

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2004, 10:57 am »
nOrh 3.0's ? :?:

mbayaq1

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2004, 07:44 pm »
Maybe put that money into an m-audio, or if you are on a budget get the chaintech av-710 (here's a review: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?p=848255#post848255 ). The chaintech is getting great reviews every where, and the best part is that it's only $25.

Will that make a noticeable difference compared to my audigy?

Here's an option  

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=ELF1.0DKCKCOMBO

I can't seem to find any pictures or info about those other than the price.  I would totally be into building some bookshelves to save money, tho.

nOrh 3.0's ?

Interesting.

I am starting to think bookshelves might be a better idea.  Those creative elf speakers can only handle 30 watts so that means I would have to get an amp for them too....  are there other bookshelf speaker kits that make a good speaker with maybe a bigger driver and more power handling?

ooheadsoo

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2004, 08:23 pm »
You won't need another amp.  Even if you used up the power potential of the speakers, which I don't think you will unless you're trying to blast music for a 50 man party, it's always better to have more power than your speakers can take than less.  How much power is drawn from the amp directly relates to how loud you are pushing the speakers and I don't think you'll ever draw more than a handful of watts unless you like to listen at 110 db @ 3m.

I see the problem as, "there's no way that amp you've got puts out 50w!"  :o

mbayaq1

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2004, 08:52 pm »
Thanks for the info about the amp and power handling.  What kind of speaker kit would be the next step up from those Elf 1.0's, something more in the $100-$150 range?

ooheadsoo

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2004, 08:56 pm »
Probably the BR-1 from http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=209
but you may want to check out www.speakerbuilder.com 's xover for it.

mbayaq1

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2004, 09:12 pm »
Quote from: ooheadsoo
but you may want to check out www.speakerbuilder.com 's xover for it.

Eh?  What's a xover?  A crossover?  Also, that website appears to be all advertising links.  :?:

Fife12

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2004, 09:52 pm »
How about best under $20 not including shipping!

These are somewhat...aged though.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1100311575

ehider

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2004, 11:07 pm »
The best monitor speakers under your price point IMO is a pair of used Sound Design RTS-3's. I've seen them go for as low as $110 and as high as $195 a pair.  They have a midrange that is as good as many $3,000 speakers and play pretty loud too

FYI: check Harry Pearson's review a.k.a. the absolute sound. I don't always agree with Harry, but in this case his review was dead on!

soundboy

• My simple Yahoo 360 webpage
« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2004, 11:23 pm »
You mean the Sound Dynamics RTS-3.  From the company that gave us Energy and Mirage speakers, SD was replaced by Athena Technologies.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep 2004, 11:51 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
nOrh 3.0's ? :?:

norh3.0s

mbayaq1

« Reply #14 on: 27 Sep 2004, 11:53 pm »
Right now it seems like either the BR-1 from http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=209  or the Sound Dynamics RTS-3 would be a good choice.  I'm leaning towards the BR-1's because they are shielded and it seems like it would be a lot of fun to build my own speakers.  Anyone have any experience with these?

You really won't be getting anything good for $150, with the exception of what you already have. I haven't heard the logitechs, but I have heard it's main competition, the klipsch speakers, and they sounded pretty darn good in my opinion. I don't think you could improve on the sound much unless you go up to the $300+ range. Also, I am not sure if the amp from the logitech are worth using with a standard speaker, so I would eventually get an amp.

Also, in response to this post, my roomate has the Klipsch 2.1 system and I am very framiliar with it.  Yesterday, he swapped in a pair of $150 Cambridge Soundworks Model Six bookshelf speakers, and the difference in sound quality was astounding.   I am very confident that a nice pair of bookshelf speakers would be a great improvement in my system, without having to go up to the $300 range.

MaxCast

« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2004, 12:33 am »
Those BR1's are only 85 db efficient.  I heard those speakers and liked them very much.  Don't expect to blast it too loud as you'll clip the amp and burn up the tweeters.  For $140 they are great.

$200 for RAD Micros???
http://www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com/speakers.htm

EProvenzano

« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2004, 01:01 am »
Stupid question but....
How do you power conventional speakers for PC use?
I'm use to those cheapy plastik speakers with wall wart and volume control built in.

I have a pair of bookshelf speaks that I'm not using and I'd love to hook them up!

Thanks

JohnR

« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2004, 01:16 am »
Quote from: mbayaq1

Here's an option

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=ELF1.0DKCKCOMBO

I can't seem to find any pictures or info about those other than the price. I would totally be into building some bookshelves to save money, tho.

Here's a the same thing but w/ 5 speakers (and a picture!)

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=ELF1.05HTCAB

ehider

« Reply #18 on: 28 Sep 2004, 01:19 am »
Oops! I actually meant  "Sound Dynamics". Thanks for the correction, I should know better as I actually have a set of those speakers here in my office!

In terms of comparing the Parts Express monitor with the Sound Dynamics speaker, the Parts Express' midrange is NOT in the same league as the Sound Dynamics (not even close).

As far as I know, the only monitors that have the same sort of midrange magic as the Sound Dynamic speaker (which are a serious fluke that is virtually unexplainable due to the low cost drivers used, mind you) are GR Research's monitors (which are a hell of allot more than $130 a pair, new, used, beaten or even broken!).

mbayaq1

« Reply #19 on: 28 Sep 2004, 01:27 am »
Quote from: ehider
In terms of comparing the Parts Express monitor with the Sound Dynamics speaker, the Parts Express' midrange is NOT in the same league as the Sound Dynamics (not even close).

Are they shielded?  They will be used right next to a crt monitor.  Also, where are you finding them used?  I've tried eBay, Google, and Froogle, and haven't been able to find any.