what do you think of my basic system?

CSMR

« on: 26 Sep 2004, 01:09 am »
I've always been a "cantophile" but have only recently become more of an "audiophile". My understanding of (classical) music is subject to diminishing returns, so I try to make it sound better instead. I've put together a system on a low budget, and want to know what you think of it.

Digital: PC, M-Audio Transit, Entech Number cruncher 502.2 DAC
Analog: Systemdek IIX turntable (accompanying tonearm, unknown Grado cartridge)
Amplification: Marantz 1060 integrated amplifier (not here yet, currently using a harmon kardon avr25II receiver)
Sennheiser HD580 headphones
Paradigm Mini Monitor speakers

A year ago I was still using micro systems. I think I'll stick with this for a couple of years until I've finished my PhD, unless there's anything very simple I can do to make it better.

sleepkyng

« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2004, 02:45 am »
to be honest, i was pretty unhappy with my marantz 1060.

it certainly could get very loud but the sound (especially for classical) just wan't up to par.

my asl wave 8 mono blocks (200 bucks total) were far better, more musical, and much more forgiving.

and i think my teac tripath again, for my taste, sounds much better, much better imaging, the highs aren't as shrill and the bass is much more precise

just some thoughts

Danberg

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2004, 03:06 am »
You might try a few "tweaks" to your system.  I purchased some lead shot (#6 as I recall - small beads), sewed some cloth bags and filled them with the shot (5 lbs per bag).  I then placed on top of my CD player and amp.  Make sure the cloth is of a heavy material, you wouldn't want it to split open spilling the lead on / inside your componenets!  :bawl: It made quite an improvement sonically.  

Later, I purchased some "Vibrapod's" and placed them under each component.  Again, quite an improvement.  Both are quite inexpensive.

Also, "Caig - ProGold" conditioning treatment for your cable ends will improve your systems sound.

CSMR

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2004, 03:50 am »
Thanks guys. Shame the Marantz 1060 isn't up to it. The folks at Head-Fi persuaded me to get it on the strength of its headphone output. They said it also has a good phono preamp. There are mixed reviews on the web. It may be that its weakness is in the power amp stage so those monoblocks look interesting. How weighty are they? I have to be quite mobile, so I'll wait to hear how it sounds first. Power output isn't a concern at all.
Aren't tweaks for high-end stuff? They have effects at this level?

hubcaps

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2004, 03:51 am »
i'd add an amp for your hd580, especially since it is hard to drive.  even a simple portable amp, like the cmoy.  i built one and i was surprised that simple amp could improve the sound.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2004, 10:34 am »
Quote from: Danberg
You might try a few "tweaks" to your system.  I purchased some lead shot (#6 as I recall - small beads), sewed some cloth bags and filled them with the shot (5 lbs per bag).  I then placed on top of my CD player and amp.

An alternative to the bags---I bought some wooden boxes disguised as leather bound books to hold shot ( a la VPI's magic brick). The top (i.e. book's front cover) is hinged, so it may need glued shut to prevent accidents. I bought mine at Dockside Imports.

Kim S.

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2004, 11:11 am »
I agree with Sleepkyng about the ASL AV-8's.  They are great little monoblocks.  They are now longer made, but occasionally they are for sale used at Audiogon.com.  They sold new for $200 a pair, used they go for that or for a premium of $300 or so. Even at the higher price they are well worth it.  

Be forwarned.  They are tube amps, which some people are unduly afraid to deal with.  Also they are power amps only.  You would need a passive or active preamp to go with it.  I use a Bottlehead Foreplay which is a DIY project.  Other people here may know of reasonable preamps to use.

sleepkyng

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2004, 02:42 pm »
well if you want something that is portable, the griffin powerwave (ugly as it is) is tiny and produces great sound for 99 bucks.

my teac tripath is about half the size of a marantz 1060 and a third of the weight, it was about 100 bucks.

but what's nice about the marantz is that it's integrated so you've got everything in one package.

when it comes, don't let our opinion get to your head, just sit down and listen to your system and give it at least 100 hrs. then if you're unhappy with it, embark on the quest that never ends!  :P

Kim S.

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2004, 03:22 pm »
Come to think about it, the AV-8's don't have a headphone output so they would not suit your needs anyway.  A good integrated with headphone output is probably the way to go.

JefferyK

« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2004, 10:28 pm »
Quote from: Kim S.
Come to think about it, the AV-8's don't have a headphone output so they would not suit your needs anyway.  A good integrated with headphone output is probably the way to go.

The NAD C320BEE has an excellent headphone jack. I use mine with Sennheiser 580s, and they sound great.

Jeffery

audioslave

mini monitors
« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2004, 10:56 pm »
If you do not want to get a seperate amp/pre, then the NAD integrated is the way to go. You can always get a great deal on an integrated off of Audiogon. The integrated will save you money on an extra set of cables too.
I have heard the Paradigm Mini-monitors. I think that they are
a great little speaker. They image very well and throw a good soundstage. I used to own the Monitor 3's and always regretted not getting the mini-monitor instead after I got the PW-2200 subwoofer. I currently own the Studio 100's.