Macmini and a Emm6 mic ?

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Macmini and a Emm6 mic ?
« on: 25 Mar 2015, 07:44 am »
I've tried getting my EMM-6 mic up and running with my macmini to do Freq. Response testing and can't get my mac to recognize the mic. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

(I'm using REW software and Yosemite OS. I have used Maverick OS before, it worked. But have never got it to work with Yosemite.)

Thanks,
Virgil

lokie

Re: Macmini and a Emm6 mic ?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2015, 11:44 am »
I had the same problem. Switched to a pc and problem solved.

But I read on REW forums that problems w MACs and USB mics were solved, but I couldn't get it to work properly.

REW has been difficult for me... FWIW. All the tutorials are of older versions and the screen shots are different than current versions. Frustrating experience for me, but I finally got a few measurements.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2015, 02:54 pm »
I wonder if I should be using a completely different software for the testing.. ?

Maybe it's the REW software, maybe there is a more compatible software for testing speakers/audio, while using a mac ?

V....

lokie

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2015, 12:00 am »
There seems to be a lot of people using it and enjoying it. So, I always thought I was a moron.

I cobbled a measurement together and put it on the forum, and was immediately helped by the moderators.

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2015, 12:20 am »
I've tried getting my EMM-6 mic up and running with my macmini to do Freq. Response testing and can't get my mac to recognize the mic. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Do you mean UMM-6? The EMM-6 requires an external souncard/preamp, it doesn't connect directly to the computer.

lokie

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2015, 11:35 am »
Do you mean UMM-6? The EMM-6 requires an external souncard/preamp, it doesn't connect directly to the computer.

Good catch. My mic is a USB mic. But I think either way is buggy on MAC's.

I wish I could find someone who could tutor me via Skype and Team Viewer. Show me how to set it up and , take a quick measurement or two.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2015, 03:39 pm »
I do have the emm6, which is a usb mic.
(The way i understand it, is the umm6 is a better quality mic or it might be more versatile, or maybe newer, not sure about that information.)
 But, the usb/emm6 still does have the ability to be used with the REW software.
So, i am using a wyred4sounds dac2 with this system. So I have an extra laptop computer and programmed my MS Windows based laptop withthe dac2 and the mic works with it. I am still not sure why it wont work with the macmini.

I got everything hooked up for testing, now. But I was called  out of town and wont be able to start/complete any testing until i get back home.

When i get back,  I'll see what I can do.

V....

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2015, 03:49 pm »
Good catch. My mic is a USB mic. But I think either way is buggy on MAC's.

I wish I could find someone who could tutor me via Skype and Team Viewer. Show me how to set it up and , take a quick measurement or two.

This might help you
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA897/microphone-troubleshooter