What is the best version of STEELY DAN "AJA"? (and reissues in general)

NIGHTFALL1970

I think I might start a war with this topic, but here goes:

I thought that my Cisco copy of "AJA" (that cost me $60.00) was the "best" copy I had.  I even listed it as the best sounding album in my collection on another thread.
After reading this article : http://www.wired.com/2015/03/hot-stampers/
I wondered if the Cisco was the best.  After what Tom Port said about it I thought that he was full of S**T.  I figured that he was just trying to justify his outrageous prices.  So I put on my $60 Cisco copy of AJA (I have see them on eBay for $120.00!) and i thought it sounded fantastic.  Then I dug out and put on my old ABC records copy that paid $2.50 for in the early 90s.  Unfortunately there are some deep scratches on it that cause loud pops and clicks on it.  However the sound quality blew me away!!!  EVERYTHING sounded better on the old copy! When I put the Cisco version back on, I could not stand it.  Has anyone heard the "new" version here:
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/87633/Steely_Dan-Aja-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record
Has anyone done an A/B caparison between the Cisco and the new version?
Now I am questioning everything that I have been "upgrading".  Are all new LP reissues garbage? I am going to have to look for mint originals of everything?

Doublej

When I listened to Steely Dan I thought the MFSL pressing was da bomb! But what did I know back then playing it on mass market system. I wonder how the pressing would be viewed today.

dminches

I prefer the Cisco version over all others (that I have heard) including the MFSL.

terry parr

in my opinion, if you can't clearly hear bernard purdie's hi-hat on the tune "home at last", then it wouldn't be a good pressing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ldtieSEyQM

(ooh. aah.  ooh, ooh, ooh, aah.)

because, in order to feel this groove, you've got to be able to hear it first, baby.  (that's what terry said.  and did he just call me "baby?")

terry parr

if you listen closely, there are four elements going on with this groove:  bass drum, bernard's left-hand fingers on the snare (along with using what's called a "cross-stick" on the snare), and bernard's right hand sticking on the hi-hat. (with some licks using the tip of stick, and other licks using the shaft of the stick).

can you hear all that?  if not, then i don't think your reproduction is resolving enough. 

firedog

mistake

Wayner

I have the ABC records AA-1006 copy which I believe was an early pressing. I think its from a compressed master. The Cisco version is suppose to be from an un-compressed master tape.

As far as I know of it, anyway.......

Wayner

This is interesting. I decided to put the LP on the table and give it a listen. Well, it turns out that the vinyl itself is labeled AB-1006 (rev. 3) B on both the record label and scribed on the vinyl.

Wayner

NIGHTFALL1970

Wayner,
According to Steve hoffman's site the AB 1006 is the earliest pressing and the AA 1006 was the second, which was an EQd lesser quality copy.  Unfortunately the original master tapes have been lost for years!  Even the Cisco version is from a copy.
I just bought an AB 1006 copy on eBay for $20.00. The seller says that the matrix reads: A SIDE = AB1006 RE-3-A 1B B SIDE = AB 1006 RE3 -B T3. I will give a review when I get it.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2015, 03:00 am by NIGHTFALL1970 »

yeldarb

My AJA is an AAB.   Listening to it right now.  A little bit of noise but a recent cleaning sure made it "pop".  Gatefold jacket, which I have to re-glue.

orthobiz

I love topics like this!

I have an "AA" (the B is crossed out) and a MoFi so I guess I have two of the worst pressings!

Paul

yeldarb

The AAB is supposed to be the same as an AB.

apollophono

This topic is very interesting considering what reviewers use to to analyze
a particular piece of equipment.  Maybe they should state what issue they
have out by the runout code.  Of course many reviewers are using CD as
their source which leaves even more questions. 

This leads me to even further questions as to consistency.  I wish all reviews
would use the same source (cd or vinyl) so that readers could make better
assessments. 

Another idea would be for the audiophile community to demand that all
reviewers describe all the parameters we request - soundstage, low, mid,
high frequency characteristics, frequency response transition from drivers,
timbre, etc.  I hate it when a reviewer isn't complete and leave the reader
to quess about the other factors involved. 

Sorry back to the topic.  If I have all poor copies of vinyl, does that mean
that no matter what equipment I buy it will be in vain?  :scratch:

orthobiz

The AAB is supposed to be the same as an AB.

Whew! Saved by the scratch!

P

Wayner

I think my memory deceives me. I used to think this was the reference recording, but now I realize that is was the reference recording of the day. The sonics are so-so IMO, as many more modern recording that I have blow it out of the water, like XTC's Nonsuch, anything by Thomas Dolby, Pat Matheny and others.

I think the Dire Straights Brothers in Arms replaced Aja in lots of HIFI shops as the "new" go to, gonna sell stereo equipment LP or CD.

Wayner

dminches

I think the Dire Straights Brothers in Arms replaced Aja in lots of HIFI shops as the "new" go to, gonna sell stereo equipment LP or CD.

Wayner

Could be, but it was recorded digitally so purists shouldn't use it to audition vinyl setups.

Wayner

What does that have to do with anything? Just because it was recorded digitally, doesn't mean that it was recorded with "state of the art" equipment like we have today. We also don't know what amplifiers were used to make the vinyl master stampers. Did they use tube, solid state, hybrid?? I'm sure every version of Aja had different equipment driving the master all along the chain.

I have some fantastic LPs that were recorded digitally and I also have some really crappy ones that were recorded in analog fashion. The same is true of the digital format. The state of the master has very little to do with the final results that you and I get to hear. I am not "format prejudice", if it sounds good, I could care less how the material was recorded.

Wayner

dminches

What does that have to do with anything? Just because it was recorded digitally, doesn't mean that it was recorded with "state of the art" equipment like we have today. We also don't know what amplifiers were used to make the vinyl master stampers. Did they use tube, solid state, hybrid?? I'm sure every version of Aja had different equipment driving the master all along the chain.

I have some fantastic LPs that were recorded digitally and I also have some really crappy ones that were recorded in analog fashion. The same is true of the digital format. The state of the master has very little to do with the final results that you and I get to hear. I am not "format prejudice", if it sounds good, I could care less how the material was recorded.

Wayner

Take a deep breath.

I said purists would not use digital recorded vinyl to test a vinyl setup.  I never said that digitally recorded vinyl can't sound great.  I have a bunch and they do sound great.

The state of the master has very little to do with the final results that you and I get to hear.

I respectfully disagree.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Brothers in Arms was from around '85 and AJA was earlier.  '85 is around the time I started selling high end.  Eventually, the Dire Straits became a regular go-to demo album, LP and CD.  I never used AJA as a demo unless someone requested it.  It's not that AJA is a bad album, it's that Brothers in Arms is an awesome demo.  Most people are interested in SQ and could care less about whether it's digital or analog.  If someone objected for purist reasons, they didn't say so.  Perhaps one of the listeners who requested a different type music, was a purist. 

What does the state of the master refer to?  Is it digital vs. analog, or condition of the master recording?  I think you guys might be talking about different things.
neo